Author Topic: Youth team news.  (Read 2846 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Youth team news.
« on: June 08, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »
What's fans reaction to 5 of the youth teams (9 ,10 ,11 12 ,13 y.o) being discontinued ?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Youth team news.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
What's fans reaction to 5 of the youth teams (9 ,10 ,11 12 ,13 y.o) being discontinued ?
In short, I think it's a mistake. Even if only a couple of players progress into senior football, i think it's something that should be in place, and ultimately worth doing.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

jelangley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
Agreed - Can't understand the decision, madness - surely it's one of Boston's best avenues for talent considering that they struggle to compete with the likes of Salford when it comes to paying wages / transfer fees.  Maybe I'm biased in the fact I've got 3 lads who would potentially like to join up but I think bufc are missing a trick here.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
Maybe they will be reintroduced once we are in the stadium, and have a proper base to work from?

Presumably they'll be creating links with other local kids teams to allow them to progress into the CoE at a later age.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
Isn't Newton's point that anyone decent in those age brackets gets snapped up by bigger clubs anyway, so they're effectively pointless as a pathway to the seniors?

I agree it's unfortunate, and I would be miffed if I were local parent, but the club is a business, not a social enterprise, so they are well within their rights to focus their resources where they're going to be most effective.

youngchubby69

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
Yes very controversial, but the money obviously doesn't stretch that far, if they are not seeing a return on the investment at that level, then it's a sensible decision.
If you read the article DN clearly states that football will continue at that level through football in the community.
We want success with the senior team and sadly cuts have to made elsewhere to give Adam the best budget we can afford.