Author Topic: Play Offs  (Read 7995 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Play Offs
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 07:54:24 AM »
I think in the 80s and 90s we were also able to rely on our status as a 'big' non-league club as well: we were one of the most successful clubs of the late 70s, had the best stadium outside the Football League and also had sizable crowds, all of which would have been attractive to prospective players.

But those days are long since behind us: no current players will have any knowledge of the club's 70s heyday, York St has long since been overtaken (but I still love it) and as for crowds, we're the 32nd best supported club in non-league football.

In other words, we're not really a big club at this level any more. That's not to say we can't be again - I think we can crawl back towards the top, and the crowds here do get *much* bigger when we're doing well, but we have to acknowledge it's going to take a lot of hard work as we have neither the money or the status to bail us out. Moving training away from the local area is a positive step in the right direction in that regard. The game has changed, and we have to change too.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 09:22:39 AM »
all players in conf north, apart from those still involved in play offs will more than likely stop after the last saturday of the season

i understand george willis, the keeper who kept goal against us for trinity over xmas twice, is talking to boston. he did ok against us and has decent pedigree via sheff u and england u18 but made an error for our first goal up there on NYD. not convinced he's any better then what we've let go. subsequently lost his place to tom nicholson as they escaped relegation

their gaffer dave frecklington was rewarded with a new 2 year deal after winning just once in 12 games. i can see them struggling again

money wise, i think we pay about average, but there is much more money on offer with some of the more aggressive evostik clubs- just shows you the issues we're up against in recruitment terms. don't underestimate how hard it is to get players to come out here because of geography too

it will be interesting to see who we get. i'm betting on a serious 'old pals act'

I go along with most of those comments t&j .  But if your prediction is right about trinity and we sign Geo Willis where does that leave us in the league ?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:26 AM »
I think in the 80s and 90s we were also able to rely on our status as a 'big' non-league club as well: we were one of the most successful clubs of the late 70s, had the best stadium outside the Football League and also had sizable crowds, all of which would have been attractive to prospective players.

But those days are long since behind us: no current players will have any knowledge of the club's 70s heyday, York St has long since been overtaken (but I still love it) and as for crowds, we're the 32nd best supported club in non-league football.

In other words, we're not really a big club at this level any more. That's not to say we can't be again - I think we can crawl back towards the top, and the crowds here do get *much* bigger when we're doing well, but we have to acknowledge it's going to take a lot of hard work as we have neither the money or the status to bail us out. Moving training away from the local area is a positive step in the right direction in that regard. The game has changed, and we have to change too.

A few of us have been expressing these sentiments for a time Pete ,  I think some will never face up to the facts .

I suspect the 70/80 teams had a generous backer in the chairman  Ernest Malkinson .   nevertheless even then after the odd defeat you could hear the abusive shouts of  "get your cheque book out Malkie "

youngchubby69

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
I don't think the Geography matters much,as they only have to play on match days at Boston, they are part time so they don't have to move home.
They also train close to the M1,so that probably means most of the players will be recruited from the midlands.
Yes money is a factor,but none of us know how much the budget is anyway and who is paying for what.
Who cares if he brings players that he knows and trusts,as long as it works and we get positive results.
Most managers bring in their own support staff,and players from previous clubs,look at Billy Heath at Halifax, Denton,King etc.
Who exactly has he brought in so far that are old pals, other than Hawley as player coach. Adam Chapman is a former player of his and probably not an old pal, as he released him from Mansfield when he was in charge there, and as far as I am aware Chapman has nit accepted a new deal yet.
I think we all are presuming alot here,let's just enjoy our summer and wait and see who comes in.
I would also think that Bunny will be talking to a few players as well,maybe a few from the past,who knows hey!

youngchubby69

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
Just to add, I was talking to a Salford fan last night at work,he is a lorry driver that delivers to us, and apparently things are not Rosie there,many players are unhappy with having to either go full time or leave the club option.
So quite a few are going, the ticket prices are going up again.
The fans are disgusted at the bully boy tactics of the class of 92, who have just taken over everything,including the away day travel arrangements,that's why there away support is very poor considering there league position this season.
This chap summed it up by saying"this is there club now,not the fans,nobody listen's to us anymore"
He also said that other club's think we are a gimmick and not a serious club, just waiting to crash down the leagues when they leave.
He also said that the fans were unhappy with the lack of loyalty being show to long serving players and club officials.
Not all is well then hmm food for thought!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 09:49:52 PM »

So quite a few are going, the ticket prices are going up again.

At £125 a season ticket (£10 adult entry), I don't think they should be complaining!! Even if it was only £7 last year (£100 season tickets), something had to give at that price.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 12:26:37 AM »
    Build a rail link to the Quadrant  8)