Author Topic: retained list  (Read 31165 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: retained list
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 08:14:42 PM »
As I said in a previous thread, I would get rid of many as possible. I only rate the left back.

At this level, there'll be loads of decent players available in the summer. Murray just needs to pick them out - and on the right terms.

Will be really pleased to see the back of this very average group.

TEP

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »

At this level, there'll be loads of decent players available in the summer. Murray just needs to pick them out - and on the right terms.

TEP

All well and good locating these players, its how we can compete for them when other clubs will be offering much higher contracts that is always going to be our big problem, no matter how persuasive our manager might be. I know its always been a hot topic for debate, but i for one wouldn't turn away an investor who would be happy to put some money forward into the club to make us more financially competitive. So long as the terms were in our best interests, of course. This summer is huge for Murray, i just hope he can deliver a top five squad to make our ambitions come true.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
 Agreed, would think finances are against 'suitable' players arriving en masse for a few seasons more .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »

TEP

All well and good locating these players, its how we can compete for them when other clubs will be offering much higher contracts that is always going to be our big problem, no matter how persuasive our manager might be. I know its always been a hot topic for debate, but i for one wouldn't turn away an investor who would be happy to put some money forward into the club to make us more financially competitive. So long as the terms were in our best interests, of course. This summer is huge for Murray, i just hope he can deliver a top five squad to make our ambitions come true.

I don't think "investment" is the correct term to use when putting money into non-league football ,   investment is making a profit on the money laid out ,  no profit to be made in non-league football .   I'm sure we are the envy of many clubs  the money that Chestnuts pump into the club .     
As you say a huge summer for Murray ,  but will top five please some fans ? ,   bearing in mind the last manger was hounded out for ONLY achieving 5th and 3rd places .

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
Of the players who started today we thought only two should be regulars next season - Durrant and Batchelor, and the latter needs someone else with pace in the back four. I'd like to keep Hilliard to play behind the strikers but I don't think AM will.

I also would keep Thomas and maybe Briscoe but I think will are in for a clear-out like when Scott and Hurst came and we only kept Liam Parker and the sub keeper. If so, that seems fair enough

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2017, 10:38:28 PM »

TEP

I don't think "investment" is the correct term to use when putting money into non-league football ,   investment is making a profit on the money laid out ,  no profit to be made in non-league football .   I'm sure we are the envy of many clubs  the money that Chestnuts pump into the club .     
As you say a huge summer for Murray ,  but will top five please some fans ? ,   bearing in mind the last manger was hounded out for ONLY achieving 5th and 3rd places .

Yeah, maybe the term 'investor' was not the right word to use, but you get my point. To be competitive in non league these days, you need to be competitive money wise, while that my not be morally right, its the way things have gone.  I agree about how the previous manager was hounded out after achieving good things the previous two seasons, but we have to now move on from that. Although, thus far i am yet to be convinced with the new set up. But, with a clean slate from now until the new season, there can be no excuses made once the season gets under way.  I think a top five finish has to be our aim, we know a minority of fans want automatic promotion, but we have to be realistic. It would be nice, but so too would be a season of reaching the play offs and having a half decent cup run. We trust Murray will get this right and deliver.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »
Of those left now after 7 releases and loanees going back I would only keep Adams Hawley Batchelor Thomas  Durrant Yeomans

Burgess Roberts and Pepe to be given pre season chances plus Smith Broadhead and Vince already signed

Looks like Rollins on his way anyway

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2017, 05:00:14 PM »
Am amazed that Batchelor and Hawley are on some retained lists........

IMHO Batchelor has been left stranded too often....we need a new defensive back line.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »
of those left and not yet signed up longer term this is what i reckon

keep batch ross hawley thomas yeomans pepe burgess roberts adams

lose bishop brown hilly gordon clarke

50 50 on chapman

rollins looks like he's on his way

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »
 Re: Chapman ,   Employing your best mate in any line of business often turns out to be a mistake .

I think Adam will now be reflecting that the job is more difficult than he thought ,  which should make him more determined to succeed .
Hope those who hounded DG out allow Adam to get on with the job and not throw abuse at what will be set backs along the way . Hope he can make a few early impressive signings to get fans backing .

Certainly the most difficult task is sorting out a strike force ,  some fans don't appreciate how well we have been served in this department over recent years .    Greene inherited Marc Newsham from the S & H team and added Ricky Miller to form a lethal partnership .   When Miller departed Greene bought in Dayle Southwell and the goals continued to flow .   When injuries caught up with Marc he was replaced with Mark Jones who formed a good partnership with Southwell .  With both departing it meant a new start .

Greene brought in Gregg Smith , Fairhurst and Colly as his strike force .   Gregg has proved to be a worthy successor to Ricky and Dayle .
Rollins had to step up to be a strike partner for Gregg due to the disastrous signings of Fairhust (1 goal ) and Colley (1 goal 1 missed pen .)
Adam signed 5 strikers,  Brodie , Hawley , Simmonds , Mani and Bishop who scored a total of 5 goals between them .

It seems that Jay is going so that leaves us in the same position as when DG came i.e . one good striker .   Hopefully a partner of the calibre of Dayle or Ricky can be found for Gregg.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Am amazed that Batchelor and Hawley are on some retained lists........

Hawley is a coach, and will be staying.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2017, 07:37:37 PM »
York came down from league 2 with a half a million parachute payment to help them get back out of the conference. They completely waste the funds & get relegated again into the conference north. They now get another parachute payment of £250,000 to help get them back into the conference. The payment is designed to get them back into league 2 not give them a 250k start on their Conf north opponents.

No, it isn't. It's there to try and keep the clubs afloat, and to cover any players left over after relegation on Football League wages. IMO, this should be managed better by the FL and literally used to pay their retained players (upto a certain figure, say £200000, maximum 4 players) that earn over £1000 a week - not just free money to be used for a bigger squad. Same for the relegated Premier League teams, except use a figure of £20,000 a week.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
York came down from league 2 with a half a million parachute payment to help them get back out of the conference. They completely waste the funds & get relegated again into the conference north. They now get another parachute payment of £250,000 to help get them back into the conference. The payment is designed to get them back into league 2 not give them a 250k start on their Conf north opponents.

No, it isn't. It's there to try and keep the clubs afloat, and to cover any players left over after relegation on Football League wages. IMO, this should be managed better by the FL and literally used to pay their retained players (upto a certain figure, say £200000, maximum 4 players) that earn over £1000 a week - not just free money to be used for a bigger squad. Same for the relegated Premier League teams, except use a figure of £20,000 a week.

Exactly! Should York be handed £250k to pay retained players League 2 wages  in the National North?? Like I said the FL are not helping at all with financial fair play at our level.

youngchubby69

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 10:24:49 AM »
As I understand it,the conference can and does set it's own rules and regulations,surely this ridiculous situation should be sorted out by them.
I think the conference bosses have truly lost their way, and the meaning of non league which is semi professional, and part time.
I have drafted an email with the help of a legal friend, and it will be sent to them this week,I have had enough of this ridiculous situation,we can all sit and take it or do something about it.
I am going to kick up a right old stink,why?
Because it does stink of hypocrisy.
I will await their reply and then raise a petition for fans and clubs to sign.
Parachute payments should stop, if you get relegated that's your fault live with it,and stand on your own two feet, if relegation means financial crisis,then those clubs are living beyond their own means, that's not anyone's else's problem but theirs.
I have no sympathy for them at all,Boston was mismanaged under the old owners, we had to face the consequences, and we got what we deserved and I had no sympathy for my beloved Boston then.
To much molly coddling goes on in this world,and not enough standing up to your own mistakes and facing up to what you have done.
As my old Grandad used to say "Man Up its your fault not mine".

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
As I understand it,the conference can and does set it's own rules and regulations,surely this ridiculous situation should be sorted out by them.
I think the conference bosses have truly lost their way, and the meaning of non league which is semi professional, and part time.
I have drafted an email with the help of a legal friend, and it will be sent to them this week,I have had enough of this ridiculous situation,we can all sit and take it or do something about it.
I am going to kick up a right old stink,why?
Because it does stink of hypocrisy.
I will await their reply and then raise a petition for fans and clubs to sign.
Parachute payments should stop, if you get relegated that's your fault live with it,and stand on your own two feet, if relegation means financial crisis,then those clubs are living beyond their own means, that's not anyone's else's problem but theirs.
I have no sympathy for them at all,Boston was mismanaged under the old owners, we had to face the consequences, and we got what we deserved and I had no sympathy for my beloved Boston then.
To much molly coddling goes on in this world,and not enough standing up to your own mistakes and facing up to what you have done.
As my old Grandad used to say "Man Up its your fault not mine".
my issue with the above is consistency. Fair enough, if you've done wrong and been caught out, then take the punishment, but historically there have been numerous relegations saved and promotions blocked on technicalities depending on whether or not your non league face fit, or indeed whose chairman was also on the conference committee.
An example I can give of  potential in-consistency is the current situation with Orient. I may be wrong, but isn't their situation similar to ours when the conference refused us entry, and we were double relegated? Surely Orient should suffer a similar fate? I will be very interested to see what happens there.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:41:34 AM by The Third Twin »
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684