Author Topic: thank goodness that's over  (Read 12227 times)

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: thank goodness that's over
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
one thing I do like about Chapman is that he has a lot to say to other players...we have been lacking a leader since GS got injures. however  his talent with his feet has left me a bit cold.....

Absolutely right let's remember before Chapman arrived we were leaderless. Gregg had just got injured & we were lacking a talker & organiser. He's sat in front of the back four & directed operations it's a vital but unspectacular role & it was exactly what we were lacking before he came.

As regards not maximising on his long throws & corners his deliveries are excellent & it's up to others to gamble & get on the end of them. Like Nat Brown did V Salford. Wouldn't mind seeing how many Pidge would bang in from his deliveries!!

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
  Well A M said at Forum he wants to sign most/all new players just into close season .
    Should be interesting ..

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
Hillary had a much better game than Chapman and he is a similar player to Ian Ross  - unlike a lot of players he thinks before he passes the ball and most of his passes reach their target.   So was bemused when he was replaced by Hawley instead of Chapman.  Best midfielder in the league?   No way.

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
i like chapman as a leader. his communication is good and he helps the other players to keep their shape which is the benefit of playing at a higher level i guess

my concern is more around the formation we play. unless we are chasing a game we seem to be set up 4 5 1 which is fairly negative. i don't feel chapman has the legs to play in the middle of midfield in a 4 4 2 which, in my view somewhat limits our formation options

that said, 4 5 1 can easily become 4 3 3. for example if we had say mani with rollins and briscoe either side of him that's fairly attacking so it is possible to be adventurous if he wants to be

chapman looks like being the first name on the team sheet if fit so we have to live with this and hope AM gets the right players to go 4 3 3 and improve our 'goals for' column. defensively we have very few issues. much better than it was so let's see what the recruitment process brings

i think we have much to look forward to. cautiously optimistic

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
Hillary had a much better game than Chapman and he is a similar player to Ian Ross  - unlike a lot of players he thinks before he passes the ball and most of his passes reach their target.   So was bemused when he was replaced by Hawley instead of Chapman.  Best midfielder in the league?   No way.

A shame Hilliard is inconsistent ,  on his day he makes far more impact than any of our other midfielders . 
Most games with Gregg out he has look more likely to score than any forward apart from Jay .

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »

A shame Hilliard is inconsistent ,  on his day he makes far more impact than any of our other midfielders .

Spot on Pete.
Most games with Gregg out he has look more likely to score than any forward apart from Jay .

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »

if Hilliard was more consistent he'd be playing at a higher level. No doubt he's talented, but lack of consistency is why we have him, and not higher up. He certainly has an eye for goal, and he can pick a pass.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684