Author Topic: Alfreton (A)  (Read 8016 times)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Alfreton (A)
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:24:55 PM »
Anyone else going?

Another chance to back up a solid result on the road, where results have tended to come in recent weeks with only an unlucky defeat at Tamworth since the debacles at Fylde and Witton.

Alfreton have an unlucky knack against us of losing by a single goal in about the last 5 meetings, hopefully that carries on tomorrow.
Assume we'll go for the same team as Saturday- there didn't seem to be any injuries for once.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alfreton (A)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
Anyone else going?

Another chance to back up a solid result on the road, where results have tended to come in recent weeks with only an unlucky defeat at Tamworth since the debacles at Fylde and Witton.

Alfreton have an unlucky knack against us of losing by a single goal in about the last 5 meetings, hopefully that carries on tomorrow.
Assume we'll go for the same team as Saturday- there didn't seem to be any injuries for once.
except Harry Vince?
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:00:27 PM »
Anyone else going?

Aye, I'm off. Been so busy recently haven't made many games, and there's a good chance this will be my final game of the season.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »
Yep, I'll be there. One of a few away games I can get to after work!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
More comments on the match on the Mansfield forum than on here , see the Louis Briscoe thread .   Comments seem to agree Boston lacked penetration otherwise they would have won .

Mansfield fans speak well about Briscoe time at the club ,   but commented against Alfreton he was ineffective along with Chapman , 
seemed it was expected of Chapman based on his time at Mansfield .

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
we do lack a  20 goal forward but we also lack a midfielder who can 'pick a pass'

chapman can pass but plays very deep. hilliard for me should be the one pulling the strings but he has one good game in 4 and in the other 3 he's ineffective and doesn't put himself about enough

vince will be an excellent long term signing. great to see him commit. with greg we'd be 6 or 8 points better off than we have been since his break so all is not lost and we have much to enthuse about long term i think

the back 5 are pretty solid. since AM came we've kept  3 clean sheets in 15, let one goal in 8 times, 2 and 3 twice each so in 11 of 15 we've let 1 or less in which is much improved. this gives us a sound base to work with. add a striker (who we already have in greg) and a schemer and we'll do well

onward and upward

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
is this the most ignored game in the history of Patter??
no one calling for Murray head.
no one saying it was all Greenes rubbish players..
must be all excited about seeing the class of 92 on Saturday

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
is this the most ignored game in the history of Patter??
no one calling for Murray head.
no one saying it was all Greenes rubbish players..
must be all excited about seeing the class of 92 on Saturday

I was thinking the same yesterday, not many comments on either fans forum pages. After yet another lackluster performance in front of goal, although we played ok..ish, we see yet another loss against of form book. If this run of form was under the previous manager, there would have been a tirade of comments so i cannot understand just what the difference is here. Points is what it is all about, looking like we're improving is not getting us points. I don't think most of us care what the old manager is tweeting, but it seems to some, its the bread and butter of being a Pilgrim. Isn't this where the original trouble all started after all ?!!  I fear that this is what is dragging this clubs support downwards, i have never previously felt that we had such a spit bunch of supporters as i do now. We either need to move forward, forget what the past was, and focus solely on one thing, league survival. Poor players have moved on, a manager has moved on, ...now we ALL need to move on.  UTP

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:15 PM »
Agree. It's frustrating to watch and looks crap when we let one in and rarely threaten but we're not leaking chances for fun and not conceding hatfuls (let's see against $alford though....)
What concerns me is no Plan B if we go behind and no midfield/striker combination where we can pick a pass or play a telling ball and s striker on the end of it or even someone to make something from nothing.
Had we had a Miller or Southwell we'd have got something out of it but if we'd also had a midfielder who could create a couple of chances alongside that, we'd have won convincingly.
So much of the ball yet so little real chances?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »
Agree. It's frustrating to watch and looks crap when we let one in and rarely threaten but we're not leaking chances for fun and not conceding hatfuls (let's see against $alford though....)
What concerns me is no Plan B if we go behind and no midfield/striker combination where we can pick a pass or play a telling ball and s striker on the end of it or even someone to make something from nothing.
Had we had a Miller or Southwell we'd have got something out of it but if we'd also had a midfielder who could create a couple of chances alongside that, we'd have won convincingly.
So much of the ball yet so little real chances?

We were warned by Stag fans that we must get used to goalless games  from our team on a regular basis .
You point out AM biggest challenge josh ,  DG brought in Miller , Southwell and Gregg Smith ,  now if AM can secure a striker of their calibre on their pay scale gaols will come .

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »
Gregg Smith always gives it his all. His attitude is superb, but he is not in the same league as Miller or Southwell. He is a target man who needs a Ricky or Dayle alongside him.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
Gregg Smith always gives it his all. His attitude is superb, but he is not in the same league as Miller or Southwell. He is a target man who needs a Ricky or Dayle alongside him.
agreed, the combination could be lethal, but you're right, he does need a 20 a season man alongside.

John Bunyan, 1684

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 10:32:42 PM »
Yes definitely, a 20+ a season striker alongside Gregg, who would chip in with 10-15 himself would be excellent!

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
Yes definitely, a 20+ a season striker alongside Gregg, who would chip in with 10-15 himself would be excellent!
I wish I could say Jay Rolllins, but as good as he can be, he's not an up top forward for me. Are there any forwards that have played down here this year for other teams that would fit the role? What about Halifax's Adam Morgan, who stood out for me when he played for Curzon earlier this year? Or maybe the much travelled Liam Hearn, to name another?

John Bunyan, 1684

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 08:54:57 AM »
hearn is a poacher. proven scorer. but his injury record is dreadful

morgan, for a relative youngster, has had lots of clubs. never a good sign. can be effective on his day in the same way hilliard can (albeit in a different position)

neither diesurewe or bishop are the answer. smith and rollins as a front two i think would be an excellent combination

suspect that within a few weeks we'll know which of the current squad will be retained

we have vince broadhead and smith on contracts until the end of 2018

if it was up to me i'd retain batchelor, rollins, thomas, yeomans, gordon, briscoe, robinson (if york let him go), durrant, chapman and maybe roberts depending on how his injury works out

that gives us 12 or 13 which is a decent nucleus. 8 or 9 places to fill on top of that which shouldn't be difficult. maybe be harsh on hilliard but he doesn't deliver often enough for me and needs to work harder. haven't been impressed with simmons either TBH

releasing the likes of fairhurst, brown, hilliard, clarke, pepe, bishop,  maguire, burgess, marshall etc frees up quite a bit of budget

if burton don't retain gatter i'd look at him if step 2 football is to be a permanent option for him as he shows promise

would be interested in the views of others on the above

keep the faith chaps and ladies, we must all pull together and try to avoid negativity but i don't think good times are far away. we have a good manager and coaching staff and a solid board

onward and upward eh?