Author Topic: O/T Bloody cold callers  (Read 5058 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
O/T Bloody cold callers
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:15:07 PM »
I don't know about you, but I am sick to death of answering my phone to cold callers.  I have put a block on certain numbers 20 max.  The same is happening on my mobile.  I have recently come back from a cruise, all calls charged at £2.50 a minute to make or receive.  Obviously I left my phone on in case family tried to contact in an emergency. I finished up with charges of nearly £50 from the same number, even thou I did not answer. >:( >:(

I then get home and found my answer phone full up with 20 messages from the same number.

I have been waiting for that number to ring to give them a rollecking.  Sure enough they rang today, I proceeded to lay into the woman and demanded a refund for costs to my mobile phone. After about two minutes of me letting off steam the woman replied. " I am very sorry about that, do you need a new boiler?" >:( >:( >:(
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T Bloody cold callers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
What a pain!
Not been caught out financially but time wasting is annoying...particularly when you're a small business..
With mobiles if you copy a send the text to 7726 (spells out SPAM ) they quickly respond and then forward number...they promise to look into it...you can use block settings .
Sadly it's a bit after the fact if you've knocked up a big bill...
I would contact my provider and have a word.
Why ofcom are not banning these numbers is beyond me

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »
I never answer them. Then i google the number and 9 times out of ten its spam or telesales etc.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
07717 707309

road traffic survey
press 5 to find out more or 9 to opt out...
yet another to block

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
Hi Dipdodah. Have you tried either being ex-directory (for your landline) or registering with the Telephone Preferencing Service? I've done both and hardly get any cold callers...

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:04:53 PM »
I had same problem a couple of years ago when on holiday,
I was getting voice mail messages and this is why you are charged, turning off voicemail
Will stop cold callers from making connection, unfortunately family wouldn't be able to leave a message though.

I got on to vodaphone when they billed me an extra £47, originally they said they couldn't help
Other than advising to turn off voice mail, but then I told them I was terminating my contract immediately, amazingly they then paid me back the £47 and paid a £15 good will gesture payment as well, so worth trying that with whoever your with.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
Never get any as we have had BT Call Blocker for the last 2 years.
United we stand..................

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

AdyG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »
I use 'truecaller' app for my mobile (android) which helps to identify callers, before choosing to answer.

youngchubby69

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
Just a pain in the backside all of them.
Answer the phone and then get through to speak someone, then leave them on the other talking whilst you walk off.
That normally does the trick.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 08:12:39 AM »
I use 'truecaller' app for my mobile (android) which helps to identify callers, before choosing to answer.

Unfortunately Truecaller harvests all the contact data in your phone and shares it around the world.......

My normal tactic is to convince them you're an idiot.  If they ring about a car crash, make out you're a formula one driver and start discussing at great length the crash you had and eventually mention that it was Sebastian Vettel who you believe caused it etc.  Set yourself a challenge to have a different stupid response every time they ring, they soon get the hint.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:15:49 AM by Ferret »

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/tps_text.html

Thanks for the link, but already registered.  Does not work very well .  Have been registered for about four years.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
Just buy a whistle. Ask them to listen carefully and then blow it as loud as possible. Worked for me in reducing the calls.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/tps_text.html

Thanks for the link, but already registered.  Does not work very well .  Have been registered for about four years.
Agree. TPS are a toothless tiger - and even they admit that to a degree. They pass the buck to Offcom or ICO every time and when you contact them they always say not enough evidence even though you give them time, date, number and content of call. No wonder these cold callers continue as there are very few prosecutions.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"