Author Topic: RIP  (Read 2935 times)

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
RIP
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
RIP Steve Adams, 57 is way too young to be taken.

Remember his runs down the wing. He once stopped my mate at a theme park (mate was wearing a BUFC shirt) and chatted to him like he was an old mate, not many would do that these days.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: RIP
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:44:06 PM »
I knew Steve was badly ill so this was expected in many ways, but still awful. Loved watching his unconventional dribbling down those wings. Highly entertaining player. God speed mate.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
Complete joker on and off the field, football is richer for characters like him, but I bet he was a manager's dressing room nightmare! RIP Steve.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »
I know for most people in this forum Steve Adams will just be someone who had two spells with us over 20 years ago. They might remember him for his dribbling or his cheeky touchline banter. Or maybe a particular performance stands out - I recall a game at Accrington where he was a half-time sub with the game goalless and from there we won 4-0, mainly due to him.

Anyway if you live in Sheffield as I do, he might be more than all that. Similar to the experience of Crazy Neil's mate, I met him three times and each time when I told him I was a Boston fan he was happy to talk about his days with us, without me feeling I was at all putting him out to reminisce. I happen to know he was really touched to be invited back to the club as part of the United Legends series a few years ago.

As Craig said on the official site his Tricky Wingers coaching business was well known in the city - I’d often see him driving about. He has been coaching a good friend’s three boys for the last ten years. He was relentlessly enthusiastic about his work and lovely with the kids, no matter how old they were. He was so full of life and everyone liked him. It’s not just he will have made those boys better footballers, I think they will be better men too.

He was diagnosed with cancer five years ago but kept working right up till going into hospital last November. Only 57, it is so sad. RIP Steve.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:48:53 PM »
I know for most people in this forum Steve Adams will just be someone who had two spells with us over 20 years ago. They might remember him for his dribbling or his cheeky touchline banter. Or maybe a particular performance stands out - I recall a game at Accrington where he was a half-time sub with the game goalless and from there we won 4-0, mainly due to him.

Anyway if you live in Sheffield as I do, he might be more than all that. Similar to the experience of Crazy Neil's mate, I met him three times and each time when I told him I was a Boston fan he was happy to talk about his days with us, without me feeling I was at all putting him out to reminisce. I happen to know he was really touched to be invited back to the club as part of the United Legends series a few years ago.

As Craig said on the official site his Tricky Wingers coaching business was well known in the city - I’d often see him driving about. He has been coaching a good friend’s three boys for the last ten years. He was relentlessly enthusiastic about his work and lovely with the kids, no matter how old they were. He was so full of life and everyone liked him. It’s not just he will have made those boys better footballers, I think they will be better men too.

He was diagnosed with cancer five years ago but kept working right up till going into hospital last November. Only 57, it is so sad. RIP Steve.

Thanks for that lovely insight.   RIP Steve.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:25:50 PM »
Please see the link below for a tribute from our local paper, including something from Cav.

http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/sport/football/god-has-signed-a-great-player-emotional-tributes-to-ex-tiger-steve-adams-1-8424256

Steve Adams, one of my favourite players to wear a Tigers shirt in my 50 years of watching Worksop. He stood out in a side that included the likes of Paul Cavell, Martin Hardy and Phil Annable.

I don't think Cav could have put it any better: “Rest in peace Steve, God has signed a great player."