Author Topic: bring back John Blackwell  (Read 6113 times)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
bring back John Blackwell
« on: February 05, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
we have the best programme in this division but the worst pitch
we have one of the best stadiums but the seats have pigeon crap on them.
There was always someone at the end of the phone....

it might be just coincidence but I feel the club has lost its way a bit since his departure.
just my personal feeling....

Adam

• View Profile
Re: bring back John Blackwell
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
Lots of seats in the main stand have been falling to bits for years. And yes, they do need a clean (of both bird mess and 2003 season ticket reserved stickers) - but would it be sensible for the club to spend scarce resources on sorting this out? We're moving out in a year, and it looks pretty unlikely that York Street will ever see a big enough crowd again for these things to become a real issue...

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
I don't expect seats to be repaired but a standard of hygiene wouldn't go amiss

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
What's happened to the pitch. It is shockingly bad. Have we stopped investing in it full stop ?

Not sure JB could sort it out but it needs something.

TEP

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
What's happened to the pitch. It is shockingly bad. Have we stopped investing in it full stop ?

Not sure JB could sort it out but it needs something.

TEP
my guess is it's too wet, but seemed to be over compensated with too much sand. Many players sliding on it yesterday, but as many things as JB did at the club, like you, TEP, I'm not sure he could sort out the surface. The pitch needs to dry out under the top surface, get a roller across it, and then it should hold together better.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Let's not blame any officials.
Obviously it is a drainage issue again, as fans would know drainage has always been a issue at
York Street.
As tenants the owners of the ground should spend to get it sorted, but obviously this won't happen as the owners are not interested.

As for bird mess, does any one have time to help clear it up, I'm more than happy to help them and organise if any volunteers are forth coming.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »
You see spikes on the tops of some buildings designed to stop birds landing / roosting. Too late for York Street, but I wonder if they could be built into the stands at the quadrant? No birds = no shit in the stands. On yesterday's showing we may still get some on the pitch though!

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
i'm amazed a club of our size has allowed the pitch to get like this. it's embarrassing. no co- incidence we can't win at home as we can't play proper football

never mind chucking cash at big signings- let's get them a pitch to play on first

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »
Let's not blame any officials.
Obviously it is a drainage issue again, as fans would know drainage has always been a issue at
York Street.
As tenants the owners of the ground should spend to get it sorted, but obviously this won't happen as the owners are not interested.

As for bird mess, does any one have time to help clear it up, I'm more than happy to help them and organise if any volunteers are forth coming.

I spent two days early last August with a pressure washer doing all the advertising hoardings and then the bird crap on the seats, Roy and I said at the time it would only be a matter of time before the pigeons did it again and we were right, apart from pressure washing on a regular basis there is little than can be done to stop them. Maybe meshing under the roof so they have nowhere to perch may solve it but as I have said before, why spend money on a pitch and ground that is not going to be used after this season?

tom and jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »
what is the timescale for the new ground to be played on? are we confident it will happen?

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »
Garry - but it's never been this bad before. It was ok a season ago. It's not obvious to me that it's a drainage issue - again. Seems more down to general neglect. The grass used to be lovely and green - almost like a bowling green 18 months ago.

Has the groundsman changed ?

TEP

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »
pitch started being rough when women were training on it.
DG got them chucked off.
Nobby retired however is still asked to do bits.
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the pitch is mainly being "looked after" by a chestnuts guy.
JB can't stop the rain but I'm sure he  would have not let it get into this state.
maybe the new guy (Mike ) could get a book on lawn keeping? ?

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
it looks pretty unlikely that York Street will ever see a big enough crowd again for these things to become a real issue...

You would hope for a bumper crowd in the last ever game at York Street, just for the sake of the history that goes with it.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
it looks pretty unlikely that York Street will ever see a big enough crowd again for these things to become a real issue...

You would hope for a bumper crowd in the last ever game at York Street, just for the sake of the history that goes with it.
and I'll be taking my seat with me, pigeon shit or not!
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Martyn Bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »
I wonder if they'll sell off any of the old turf. I could grow a bit on our allotment.