Author Topic: Nationwide Referees strike - 4th/5th March  (Read 6902 times)

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
Nationwide Referees strike - 4th/5th March
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »
According to today's Telegraph it appears that there is a call for a Nationwide Referees Strike scheduled for the weekend of 4th/5th March. Not sure how much this affects professional and semi-professional football but is bound to affect the amateur leagues on those two days. I see we are scheduled, at present, to play AFC Halifax Town that Saturday but I am sure that the strike won't be universally supported and there is little danger that this game will be postponed. The strike is about the increasing assaults on officials - apparently 1 in 5 have been attacked which is totally unacceptable - and the failure of the "Respect" campaign. I can see support for the strike affecting, but not totally interrupting, the Lincolnshire, Boston and Peterborough Leagues and the Lincoln & District Sunday League that weekend but not much else. I could be wrong though! I know that the lack of new referees means that within the next 2 seasons that most Step 7 or equivalent matches will only have one official appointed with the support of 2 club linesman - this is already adopted by the Peterborough & District League.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

youngchubby69

Re: Nationwide Referees strike - 4th/5th March
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
Who assaults them Players or Fans?
We all verbally have a go at them now and again,but there is no excuse for physical assaults.

youngchubby69

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:37:51 PM »
I don't know what it is in football why players think it is acceptable to verbally abuse the ref.
I played Rugby for many years and would not dare speak to a ref like that,as I and the team would be punished for it.
In Rugby the captain is the only player that is allowed to question the refs decision,and it has to be in a form of question,not shouting.
I think this should be introduced in to football, it would stop all of this stupid mobbing of official's by the players.
Football has a hell of a lot to learn from Rugby officials.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »
And Cricket too, speak to an umpire or an opponent like some do in football and you'll be facing a massive ban. I find it terrible to be honest, especially in the local leagues, absolutely no surprise referees are leaving the game in droves.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
Who assaults them Players or Fans?
We all verbally have a go at them now and again,but there is no excuse for physical assaults.

Both, mainly at local league level and kids - where the parents think it's OK to have a go.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
Must be terrifying for an official when facing a team of players who lose all dignity and act like hyenas wanting to carry out physical abuse to a referee without any self control. Most of these offenders are cowards and grasses who would run to the police if anyone said boo to them! 800 Referees have now pledged to go on strike that weekend as per today's Telegraph.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:37:44 PM by Burgh Boy »
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:42 PM »
A recent Kids Sunday morning game saw two parents wait in the car park and afterwards give the ref a good kicking just because he gave a decision against their Son. They are now banned from all football games involving their Son. Poor lad must now grow up with no parents to impress. Why do Parents see a Beckham and money machine and not just let the kids play,learn and have fun?

I have been spoken too by Stewards (one was sent from the control room) just cos I shouted to the lino for what good he was doing with his flag he may as well shove it up his arse,told the steward I only shout at officials and would NEVER assault one.

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »
I see in today's Telegraph that the proposed Referees strike has now been called off. The reasons appear a little dubious. Apparently the young official who called for the strike and had 800 referees agreeing to support it has now said his own county FA (in his case, Manchester) have put some new procedures in place to support a referee if (or, sadly, should that be when?) he or she is assaulted. However, I would probably imagine that the games to be initially affected by the strike were low profile and that many officials did not want to jeopardise their future appointments in professional or semi-pro football. However, I think it was possible that the strike would have garnered greater support and publicity if it had gone ahead but now that it has been cancelled it may just indicate to those players, management and supporters who cannot restrain themselves that it is ok to carry on physically and verbally abusing officials.

The Chief

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »
Could Mr Wenger be made an example of given his behaviour at the weekend which included pushing the 4th Official?

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:37:49 PM »
Crazy as this seems, the Telegraph report that the strike is back ON for 4th/5th March due to the young official organising it changing his mind. Too late now! He should not have called it off in the first place and the protest has the appearance of being disorganised and lacking any adhesion. However, I could be wrong!

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:18:10 PM »
Crazy as this seems, the Telegraph report that the strike is back ON for 4th/5th March due to the young official organising it changing his mind. Too late now! He should not have called it off in the first place and the protest has the appearance of being disorganised and lacking any adhesion. However, I could be wrong!

Thought officials never changed their minds?

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
Lol! They have on this one! Chaotic. What are the chances it will be called off again nearer the time?

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 12:35:13 AM »
Surprised that the refs could read the letter they were sent seeing as they are mostly blind :D

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
National Referee's Strike is on for this weekend but appears to have garnered limited support from the Referees themselves! All very bizarre and the industrial action looks poorly organised - although will the officials who do take their appointments be seen as strike breakers or scabs? I doubt it very much and there certainly won't be any pickets! It appears only one unnamed feeder league (I guess it is at step 7) has cancelled its games this weekend due to lack of officials. Seems like the referees' match fee and, more importantly, love of the game prevails - although by officiating during the "strike period" may be giving the impression to some that they are happy for the current level of abuse and assaults to continue? Be interesting to see how many officials are assaulted or seriously verbally abused/threatened this weekend in games where they could - or should have (?) - have stepped aside for once. I hope the answer is zero - but doubt it. Be interesting to hear from any referees here on patter if they are joining the strike or ignoring it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:34:39 AM by Burgh Boy »

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
Another referee assaulted according to NPL and also the assault was filmed and can be viewed on YouTube and The Sun's website. A 60 year old referee was allegedly attacked by a 23 year old thug at Pickering Town much to the applause of some fans who even shouted that the referee deserved it even when the ambulance turned up to take the stricken official to hospital. Another referee gone from the game for good. It is a shame so many officials decided not to support the recent strike action - but well done to the 2000 referees who did.