Author Topic: Brodie against  (Read 29509 times)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brodie against
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »
BUFC have always had a history of playing good attractive football on the ground.

Have we?? In recent seasons we played nice football under Tommy Taylor and Jason Lee - neither won promotion. We always played with either Danny Davidson or Mikael Suarez under Scott and Hurst - we got promoted.

Football was atrocious under Drury. Under Dennis, we had mixed tactics throughout. Even under Murray, we utilised Gregg's strengths up top... might have to change now though, unless Brodie proves his worth as a target man.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
Denton ..... no thanks !  We should never become a hoof ball team to suit one player. BUFC have always had a history of playing good attractive football on the ground.

Have we? Maybe before my time, but certainly not in the last 25 years...

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
Really folks ??  Under Scott and Hurst even when we had the likes of DD, we still worked the ball around well and didn't just hoof it up top.  Maybe its just me that has noticed the fantastic wing play for instance, or playing it out from the back etc. And i don't think that we can compare the likes of DD to Denton, totally different styles.

It's all about opinions, people read games differently, but i certainly don't think we have been a hoof ball team.  And when we have done this, it ends with the crowd shouting 'keep it down'. 

Each to their own on the opinions though.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »
Really folks ??  Under Scott and Hurst even when we had the likes of DD, we still worked the ball around well and didn't just hoof it up top.  Maybe its just me that has noticed the fantastic wing play for instance, or playing it out from the back etc. And i don't think that we can compare the likes of DD to Denton, totally different styles.

It's all about opinions, people read games differently, but i certainly don't think we have been a hoof ball team.  And when we have done this, it ends with the crowd shouting 'keep it down'. 

Each to their own on the opinions though.

I can see your point as far as playing it up to a big man to play off when you are under pressure. Then when able play to your strengths with wing play and hard work in the middle. As we did under Scott and Hurst

youngchubby69

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 07:14:23 AM »
I am beginning to think that, Scott and Hurst probably had one the best teams we have seen in many years.
I do wonder if they had both stayed with us,what we might have achieved.
Do agree with many on here that Hurst was the tactical master and Scott was the enforcer.
Looking to the future though,I sure Adam will build an awesome team here,and achieve great things with them.
I am genuinely looking forward to next season, just seems very different around the club.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
I am beginning to think that, Scott and Hurst probably had one the best teams we have seen in many years.
I do wonder if they had both stayed with us,what we might have achieved.
Do agree with many on here that Hurst was the tactical master and Scott was the enforcer.
Looking to the future though,I sure Adam will build an awesome team here,and achieve great things with them.
I am genuinely looking forward to next season, just seems very different around the club.

Paul & Rob were able the bring in almost a full team of proven Uni League play-off candidates assembled by their ex-boss David Holdsworth at Ilkeston .  Their only outstanding find  I can recall is Shane Pearson ,  but in some quarters this is disputed saying that Shane was recommended to the club by Steve Welch .       Sadly they failed to retain Ricky Miller from the previous season .

I may have miss some but the outstanding players in their 2 years were Pearson ,  Newsham , Church , Sleath , McKeawon

In Green,s time again I may have overlooked some but the outstanding signings I recall are ,   Ricky Miller ,  Southwell , Gregg Smith , Steer ,  Felix , Mills , Agnew, Rollins , Marrs , Richards , Stryjeck ,  Ravos and Dixon .

I recall 3 of S&H players going to play at a higher level ,  but church,s was short lived .

I recall 9 from the Greene squads going on to play at an higher level .

Paul "the tactical master " ?      Try that comment on Mariners  fans Fishy Forum .

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 10:03:55 AM »
Certainly Pidge missed off the list of Dennis Greene's memorable players.

For me last season's  teams was better than Scott and Hurst's.

womble

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
Karl Hawley and Alex Simmons (loan) added to the squad for todays game.

youngchubby69

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
But yes I agree DG did sign some decent players, but did he win us promotion with any of them.
I would have put money on S&H achieving another promotion if they had stayed.
Coming close is not classed as winning.
Please define a great player,is it one that achieves or one that comes close but never wins anything for themselves or as a team.
We have only won one promotion and couple of cups under David Newton's tenure, and if my memory serves me right,wasn't that with S&H in charge.
 :P

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
But yes I agree DG did sign some decent players, but did he win us promotion with any of them.
I would have put money on S&H achieving another promotion if they had stayed.
Coming close is not classed as winning.
Please define a great player,is it one that achieves or one that comes close but never wins anything for themselves or as a team.
We have only won one promotion and couple of cups under David Newton's tenure, and if my memory serves me right,wasn't that with S&H in charge.
 :P

S & H as I said inherited a team that had made the UNI play-offs ,  had a budget that would allow them to make improvements to team , yet only gained promotion through extra time play off win .    What good players did they recruit ?

With a smaller budget and a more competitive league I would have doubts about them gaining promotion at the present time .

I guess you have not  canvassed opinion on The Fishy regarding Paul,s tactical know how

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
 :-*

REALLY hope Karl Hawley still has the legs ..and becomes a good coach .
                         Welcome to Simmons as well .

So   Xmas tree today ?
                          With mid /attack being

FITZ  CLARKE  MARSHALL
                                       SIMMONS ROLLINS
                                             BRODSKI

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:58:47 PM by father Ted »

youngchubby69

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
Didn't Paul Hurst get the FISHY promoted too, must have done it without tactics.
Not another promotion whilst he was in charge of a team, must be pure luck.
Grimsby fans that I shared a train with from Nott's County certainly were full of praise for his efforts,and putting them back in the football league, better I think to hear it from the horses mouth.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
 Oh fairplay to GHM .he's been pubbing   ;)

youngchubby69

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »
Enjoy the banter Ted, only wish I could be pubbing too, but got a heavy cold.
 worst I have had in years.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »
Didn't Paul Hurst get the FISHY promoted too, must have done it without tactics.
Not another promotion whilst he was in charge of a team, must be pure luck.
Grimsby fans that I shared a train with from Nott's County certainly were full of praise for his efforts,and putting them back in the football league, better I think to hear it from the horses mouth.

Maybe the fans on the train was right and the fans on Fishy wrong . 
Not been to Grimsby for years ,  the only nice thing when going there is the drive back through Keal , if you avoid the bugs  :)