Author Topic: Full time clubs in non league football.  (Read 14949 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Full time clubs in non league football.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
GHM do you think we will be heading that way once the new stadium is built.
Perhaps bringing Adam in is the start of the process.

Can only speculate yc69 , but seeing Adams ambition so far I would think this will be his target .

youngchubby69

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 05:05:35 PM »

Can only speculate yc69 , but seeing Adams ambition so far I would think this will be his target .

I suppose we never know what is really discussed behind that boardroom door,but after all the chestnuts have already put a lot of money and time in , I would imagine they have bigger plans afoot for this club.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »

I suppose we never know what is really discussed behind that boardroom door,but after all the chestnuts have already put a lot of money and time in , I would imagine they have bigger plans afoot for this club.

I have not heard anything said that suggests The Chestnuts will be doing anything other than handing the club and stadium over to a new board probably made up of business people who are BUFC fans and the stadium becomes a community facility, this is roughly what David said at the beginning of this project, although I hope personally they do remain involved we owe them so much.

youngchubby69

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »
I totally agree oxo, it would be nice for the club to be partly run and guided by the fans, and yes I do hope David and Neil will be still be involved.
I do truly believe that if they had not stepped in,the club would not be here today,and the ground.

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »
It's great that they did save the club but let's wait and see if the ground will be built to spec.
You must remember that there is a hell of a lot of money to be made for the owners of York street and also for our current chairman and both sites will be worth ££££££s both funded by one common thing the building of homes.
If our current chairman delivers and decides to stay after the build and invest some more of his well earnt house money then we may be able to challenge and go full time.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »
I totally agree oxo, it would be nice for the club to be partly run and guided by the fans, and yes I do hope David and Neil will be still be involved.
I do truly believe that if they had not stepped in,the club would not be here today,and the ground.

I take it you mean the new ground ?  Regarding that, i would like to know if all those who were constantly saying just a month or two ago that this new stadium won't get built, and that the Chestnuts are going to walk away leaving us in the poop are now going to accept that they are wrong ?

My view on clubs going full or staying part time at this, and lower levels of non league - I think it has two sides to it, the moral side of spending over your means just to try and gain success, and the ambition of those willing to put money into a club. For years now, we at Boston have had a two sided debate to all of this. Some of us slag off other teams who have lower gates than us but have money, yet on the other side of the coin, some of these same fans are also demanding promotion and buying better players to achieve this.  What is the right way ? Would we reject someone coming in with say half a million to spare ?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »
 Achieving promotion from the Nat Con North will increasingly revolve around clubs becoming full-time .   The best hope for part timers will be to achieve 5th spot for play-offs .

youngchubby69

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »
I understand what you are saying shrimp,but the chestnuts would have got the planning accepted for the Quadrant development with or without the stadium being built, this is purely down to the lack of housing stock in Boston, the council has got a government target to reach, on building new homes,which I understand is over a 1000 by 2020.
York Street as fat as I know is still owned by the Malkinson family and not Chestnut Homes, so I would imagine the ground will be sold off to the highest bidder,which may not be Boston United's current owners.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:49 PM »
Achieving promotion from the Nat Con North will increasingly revolve around clubs becoming full-time .   The best hope for part timers will be to achieve 5th spot for play-offs .

Hasn't worked for Nuneaton and Stalybridge this season.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »

I think Stalybridge are not full time now .   But it did not work for them in the past nor Nuneaton as you say .   Both mainly took  cheap young unproven rejects from higher clubs hoping to blend them into a good unit .

As we know a different approach from Fylde with money no object ,  Salford to follow suit .   Harrogate already have one of the biggest budgets in the league and I suspect they will increase it,  but this will be less problematic as Simon Weaver appears to be fireproof as his dad is the man pumping money into the club .   Weaver has had 7 years with a decent budget and made little impact .  Don,t think things will change .

youngchubby69

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 06:53:33 AM »
Sound comment GHM and very true,especially the Simon Weaver comment, he is a really nice chap and always shows our fans respect when he comes to York Street.
But as you say he has sadly under performed since becoming manager at Harrogate.
I think his family have the club by the balls,so to speak and it will take a massive buy out to change thongs there.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »

I think Stalybridge are not full time now .   But it did not work for them in the past nor Nuneaton as you say .   Both mainly took  cheap young unproven rejects from higher clubs hoping to blend them into a good unit .

As we know a different approach from Fylde with money no object ,  Salford to follow suit .   Harrogate already have one of the biggest budgets in the league and I suspect they will increase it,  but this will be less problematic as Simon Weaver appears to be fireproof as his dad is the man pumping money into the club .   Weaver has had 7 years with a decent budget and made little impact .  Don,t think things will change .

Really you'd need to be fireproof wouldn't you with his record. It isn't great for the amount thats spent

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 06:44:07 PM »
In many ways the C north is the new C national . . what with full time teams and big backers.
  I think Bostons owners comfortable just getting a competitive team at present ..
   How did f/t work when Boston were in The League ? Did players move to Costa del Boston ?

youngchubby69

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
I am not quite sure were the players lived when we were in the Football league, I don't think many of them lived local though.
Probably most of them travelled to train and play,much like they do today.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
From the outset the Chestnuts have always said that they will develop an area with housing that includes a stadium and hand the club over to a 'supporters' trust'. Not sure the further detail was ever announced.

They never wanted to run a club as such, it is a building development for them, but to achieve that aim they have had to run a club in the meantime. Profit made from such a development plus any grants etc. will pay for the stadium.

The Chestnuts saved the club at the time, with an eye for a profit down the line. Let's hope its a 'win, win' situation.