Author Topic: Liam Agnew  (Read 5786 times)

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Liam Agnew
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
He's no longer appearing on the squad page on the official website. Have I missed something?

Hope he is still with us - thought he was our best player prior to his injury and I'd hope Adam Murray would have given him a chance to show what he can do. Maybe geography has something to do with it though. Either way, it'd be good if the club could keep us up-to-date of departures as well as arrivals.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Liam Agnew
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »
Yes, before injury he was without a doubt our best player.

The new manager hinted in interview that he wanted players at training more than twice a week they currently do and only wants players that can commit to this. Some may say you would make an exception for your best player others may say making an exception would be bad for the squad as a whole.

youngchubby69

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 04:39:50 PM »
I totally agree with your comment, perhaps his recovery was not going well.
I would expect that Adam had got too free up some money to bring others in.
Maybe the following players will also be released that are injured,
Nat Brown,Pepe Ngoma, Joe Burgess and I would be disappointed if Grant Roberts was released.

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 04:50:55 PM »
Have to disagree with the above post.
So your a player you get injured and then the club release you?
what sort of message would that send out.
The players that were injured before the new manager arrived should all be given a chance to prove their worth before a decision is made on them.
In the case of Roberts and agnew they both should stay in my opinion.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 05:03:23 PM »
 This has been argued , and could cut both ways .especially if a good player hasn't/wont sign a contract .

youngchubby69

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:07:19 PM »
I don't know what you disagree with shrimp, I wasn't suggesting anyone should be released,just listing those who are currently injured.
Whether we agree with it or not, that's the way it is, and any manager will assess all of his players,fit or injured to see if they are going to be an asset to the team or club.
No it probably does not send out a positive message,but footballers are often realists and no the how it all operates, its a business and they know that.
We as fans make more of a fuss then they do.
Successful Managers and clubs are often very ruthless,like it or not,that's the way of the world.
That's as deep as I am going to get on a Friday night lol,time to lighten up.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
Yes, before injury he was without a doubt our best player.

The new manager hinted in interview that he wanted players at training more than twice a week they currently do and only wants players that can commit to this. Some may say you would make an exception for your best player others may say making an exception would be bad for the squad as a whole.

Sound comments Lee ,  how many people at any job would commit to an extra stint at work for no extra pay ?      As you suggest some doing less training sessions than others would probably cause disharmony .    Introducing three training sessions would lead to increased wages and would also probably deter some potential signings from joining .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »
I totally agree with your comment, perhaps his recovery was not going well.
I would expect that Adam had got too free up some money to bring others in.
Maybe the following players will also be released that are injured,
Nat Brown,Pepe Ngoma, Joe Burgess and I would be disappointed if Grant Roberts was released.

3 of those are on contract!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

youngchubby69

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »
I suppose it depends,on how committed to being a success you are.
Hard work brings success,if that means extra training,so be it.
Lets face it,we haven't seen a decent consistent performance from this squad until Adam took over,so the extra training session seems to be working, they look more organised,fitter,stronger,and have a new belief in their selves.
Contracts mean nothing, how many times have we seen that in football,even at the highest level, and we don't know the conditions of the players individual contracts.

youngchubby69

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 01:47:33 AM »
All points taken on board and totally understand.
At the end of the day,it will be up to the management,coaches and players what and how much training they do.
We can only hope it all goes well and the performance continues to improve week on week.
Perhaps and this is only my opinion,we are slowly moving towards full time football, young Manager,new stadium,etc,etc.
But that will be down to money I would expect, and if it really benefits us.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »
I suppose it depends,on how committed to being a success you are.
Hard work brings success,if that means extra training,so be it.
Lets face it,we haven't seen a decent consistent performance from this squad until Adam took over,so the extra training session seems to be working, they look more organised,fitter,stronger,and have a new belief in their selves.
Contracts mean nothing, how many times have we seen that in football,even at the highest level, and we don't know the conditions of the players individual contracts.
you have to remember these players are part time, and some travel quite a distance each time they train or play. There's a danger that introducing an extra evening into what is a busy schedule could tip players over the edge, and they would look closer to home to play at a similar level, or they'd simply turn up knackered all the time juggling their jobs and longer days. I haven't even started on home life, family life and social life. They are part timers, not world beaters. We are all guilty if expecting too much sometimes, but they play at this level for various reasons that have all been said before, and only partial commitment is one of those reasons. Like it or not, most of them aren't able to commit more than they already do, else they would be full timers and playing elsewhere anyway.

Pleased with those points TTT ,   your timings better than mine .    Over recent times months I have made exactly the same points and the response from some posters was either  "Greene apologist "  or a "Greene luvvie ,  blinkered and unwilling to accept facts when they got in the way of a good moan .

I,ll remind you before F Ted reprimands us that I always scrutinise the bit you missed out  ,  the budget affect .

As you state an extra session will probably result in extra time off work , subject to their bosses permission,  incurring loss of earnings .     Along with your other points this will lead to higher wage demands .
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:15:39 AM by green hats mate »

youngchubby69

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »
Hmmm!!
All been very interesting, but very all matey on here.
New boy won't quit you know, here to stay and not going away.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 06:24:08 PM »
U two seem  a bit self conscious ,which is good
   Don't do personal abuse or respond to it dramatically ,use humour .
      Write your posts with some humility.

Your demeanor seems fine   :)

youngchubby69

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
That's the fun of debating.