Author Topic: Best formation?  (Read 6370 times)

Spa Pilgrim

• View Profile
Best formation?
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »
In a vain attempt to be proactive in these troubled times, let's debate the best formation that we should adopt in our current position in order to be constructive to Bunny & acknowledging that we only have these players to work with for the time being. The next 4 games are winnable (FCUM, Curzon & Trinityx2) despite only winning 1 of the last 10!

My view would be to keep it simple with a 442, rather than tinker with the more complicated 41212 etc, which I think has exacerbated the defensive confusion over recent weeks. The lads have very little time on the practice ground as it is, so get back to basics, get players in familiar roles & concentrate on the job in hand. my shout as a 1st 11 would be:
Emery; Clappison/Thomas, Joe Robinson, Brown, Gordon; Marshall, Miles, Maguire/Hilliard, St.Juste; Rollins, Smith

Oops

• View Profile
Re: Best formation?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
Well done SP. sincere congratulations on talking about football on a football forum, strange as it may seem. Please keep it up.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
Looks good on paper  SP..
  Then anything 34.. or 43.. should get 7 in the penalty area quickly ..which Boston need to at present  8)

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
In a vain attempt to be proactive in these troubled times, let's debate the best formation that we should adopt in our current position in order to be constructive to Bunny & acknowledging that we only have these players to work with for the time being. The next 4 games are winnable (FCUM, Curzon & Trinityx2) despite only winning 1 of the last 10!

My view would be to keep it simple with a 442, rather than tinker with the more complicated 41212 etc, which I think has exacerbated the defensive confusion over recent weeks. The lads have very little time on the practice ground as it is, so get back to basics, get players in familiar roles & concentrate on the job in hand. my shout as a 1st 11 would be:
Emery; Clappison/Thomas, Joe Robinson, Brown, Gordon; Marshall, Miles, Maguire/Hilliard, St.Juste; Rollins, Smith

bit of a reality check, when 12 months ago we could have fielded.......Spiess, Marrs, Macevoy, Mills, Piergianni, Felix, Garner, Roberts, Rollins, Southwell and Jonah....how times change....
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:57:50 PM »
Crikey ,,You will start GHM off about the infinite merits of DG again !!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »

I,ve done enough PR for DG ,  TTT can get away with that post , I can,t .    new  :police:monitoring the site .
I mostly agree with TTT.   constructive and not a lot of crap.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:25:02 PM by green hats mate »

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »
11 up front. No worries 8)

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
Or we could just do our usual nobody anywhere

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 06:23:03 PM »
It s frustrating that Boston have scored 2 goals in recent games ,yet get overwhelmed.
 I would hazard that most CN defences are better than their attacks .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 07:46:49 PM »

I,ve done enough PR for DG ,  TTT can get away with that post , I can,t .    new  :police:monitoring the site .
what it does show is that when Dennis got the right players together that we did indeed have a team worthy of the play-offs, but at the same time I've attempted to demonstrate what I see as the gulf in quality between that team and his signings this season prior to his departure. In answer to the original post, I can't pick a best XI, simply because it would read something like....x8  sub-standard squad players plus Agnew (when fit) plus Rollins plus Smith, and I'm sorry but this is why we're in a mess. 3 players that are good enough, many more who are not.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »

what it does show is that when Dennis got the right players together that we did indeed have a team worthy of the play-offs, but at the same time I've attempted to demonstrate what I see as the gulf in quality between that team and his signings this season prior to his departure. In answer to the original post, I can't pick a best XI, simply because it would read something like....x8  sub-standard squad players plus Agnew (when fit) plus Rollins plus Smith, and I'm sorry but this is why we're in a mess. 3 players that are good enough, many more who are not.

On the OS we have 10 fit defenders on the books.  Don,t think one of them is up to it .
Bunny mentioned this morning that they were a young inexperienced side .    I think the average age is more than the teams we,ve put out over the last 2 years .    The real explanation is signings lacking quality .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
The players let the club, DG and themselves down ....
Like my old school reports "could do better"

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:56 PM »
The players let the club, DG and themselves down ....
Like my old school reports "could do better"

No they didn't, Greene signed this lot who were never good enough showing his judgement was crap hence he failed miserably, stop making excuses for him he, has put this club in danger with his ineptitude.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »
Yes, DG has made some poor signings - particularly this season  - but let's not forget, he wasn't a permanently crap manager who always made crap signings. Anyone would think he was our worst ever manager. Had some pretty good players the last couple of seasons who have gone on to bigger and better things.

When it all goes wrong for any manager at the end of their tenure, there's always plenty of finger pointing, castigating etc . Look at Swansea - decent manger in Monk, who got the team finishing in a great position. Has a sticky patch, gets sacked. New manger(s) come in - all crap and now they're in a worse position than they were with Monk.

Who has all the answers to this ?

TEP