Author Topic: Good on ya Den.  (Read 23234 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: Good on ya Den.
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2016, 11:18:57 PM »
Was in Boston on Wednesday. Very unimpressed with the market. Bit of fruit and veg and some naff fishing tackle. A meat van too. Skipped it all and went to M&S, Oldrids and Mountains. I reckon it's mainly oldies that keep these sort of markets going and they will probably disappear in the not too distant future. Just like most of the daily newspapers.

It's youngsters that are needed at games. How do you prise them away from their smart phones, Sky Sports, Premier League, Playstations and McDonald's Drive Thrus ? A much wider issue than just Boston Utd.

TEP

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »
Peterborough had a mobile stall in the city centre yesterday - first time I've seen it, though. Probably for the run up to Christmas..
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »
Was in Boston on Wednesday. Very unimpressed with the market. Bit of fruit and veg and some naff fishing tackle. A meat van too. Skipped it all and went to M&S, Oldrids and Mountains. I reckon it's mainly oldies that keep these sort of markets going and they will probably disappear in the not too distant future. Just like most of the daily newspapers.

It's youngsters that are needed at games. How do you prise them away from their smart phones, Sky Sports, Premier League, Playstations and McDonald's Drive Thrus ? A much wider issue than just Boston Utd.

TEP

The last paragraph is an accurate account on why gates nationwide are falling .

Also fair account of market too ,   not sure abut your fishing tackle comments , maybe a cheap job lot Tipps which are suitable for hooking empty beer cans ""

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »

a lot of work being done here

http://pilgrimsuitc.co.uk/

mike brolly boots

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »
Just out of interest how many full time employees does the club have ?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
Just out of interest how many full time employees does the club have ?

http://www.bostonunited.co.uk/a/whos-who-2016-2017-28949.html

I'm assuming Chief Exec, Office Admin and Commercial/Director are full time. The community employees are part of a separate concern.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »

a lot of work being done here

http://pilgrimsuitc.co.uk/

Had to smile when I read that the recent walking football tourmanent was 'excellently run.......'
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:58:06 PM by Cavalier »
United we stand..................

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2016, 05:31:26 PM »
Another one from F/B.

"We are Boston United ,  we screw our fans ".

We do though.
No incentives to get extra fans into home games or the Non League Days
No travel incentives (the Ferriby cheap buses were the only ones I've come across since Marine/BPA in 2010)
Move our fans from the best part of the ground at the first hint of more than a couple hundred away fans (one exception)
Just expect the same 1000 or so to pay up every season and put up with whatever is served up.
Very limited use of the press and social media to advertise the club and its events and any information (BUSA info, the Fylde ticketing fiasco)
No presence at arguably the regions premier market twice a week when the ground is relatively out of the way for most townspeople

Even Gainsborough are ahead of us in this area for crying out loud and they're in 1964

The above response lacking thought and logic is typical of  many posts on BUFC face book.
Failing to offer incentives to people who do not attend matches is not "screwing " regular fans , in reality it is refraining from subsidizing the freeloaders . 
How would you suggest the club can guarantee to assemble a team that are successful ?
.(every club in the country is waiting for the answer to that one .)

Limited use of media ?   don,t see that ,  Standard, Target , Radio , Bufc facebook and club web site ,  what to you want it in the Daily Sport and Daily Star as well .?  8)    With Craigs sterling work I consider the comments out of order .    The Fylde comments seem common on other club forums .

No presence in the market place ?  good God Josh you make Gainsboro look ultra modern , even my pal Steelihat has an Ipad , computer and a big screen on his toilet wall .  keep up .

What would you do if there was a possibility of 200/250 visiting fans . ?   Ignore the advice of the Ground Safety Committee and Lincs Police and put them in YS end .
Would your employer tell H & SAFETY to go away if visited place of work , and ignore their recommendations .?
No evidence as I can see in your comments that can in any way leave the club open to allegations of "screwing the fans",  only evidence that some expect Chestnuts to keep dipping further into there pockets .

Do we have anything around town? Even our shop went years ago and we're relying on Cookie out of his own pocket perhaps to do bits and bobs for the youth team from his shop (which is out of the way)
There's no offers to attract this Premier League, Xbox generation of young supporter which in turn could carry over to reward loyal ST holders on the odd occasion.
It seems like they got round to the Fylde ticket situation but can't recall any details of travel to Nuneaton and Telford being placed anywhere other then the match programme (which can often run out before the game), potentially hindering/denying fans the opportunity to watch the team.
And as regards away fans it really isn't difficult. Give them the seats behind the goal or that end blue block of the stand if they really need it (unlikely as the corner will easily take 3-400 if it had to) and just stick a cheap fence in at the walkway at the front. That has been an issue however ever since we moved the tunnel, which did that job before.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2016, 09:18:37 PM »
Another one from F/B.

"We are Boston United ,  we screw our fans ".

We do though.
No incentives to get extra fans into home games or the Non League Days
No travel incentives (the Ferriby cheap buses were the only ones I've come across since Marine/BPA in 2010)
Move our fans from the best part of the ground at the first hint of more than a couple hundred away fans (one exception)
Just expect the same 1000 or so to pay up every season and put up with whatever is served up.
Very limited use of the press and social media to advertise the club and its events and any information (BUSA info, the Fylde ticketing fiasco)
No presence at arguably the regions premier market twice a week when the ground is relatively out of the way for most townspeople

Even Gainsborough are ahead of us in this area for crying out loud and they're in 1964

The above response lacking thought and logic is typical of  many posts on BUFC face book.
Failing to offer incentives to people who do not attend matches is not "screwing " regular fans , in reality it is refraining from subsidizing the freeloaders . 
How would you suggest the club can guarantee to assemble a team that are successful ?
.(every club in the country is waiting for the answer to that one .)

Limited use of media ?   don,t see that ,  Standard, Target , Radio , Bufc facebook and club web site ,  what to you want it in the Daily Sport and Daily Star as well .?  8)    With Craigs sterling work I consider the comments out of order .    The Fylde comments seem common on other club forums .

No presence in the market place ?  good God Josh you make Gainsboro look ultra modern , even my pal Steelihat has an Ipad , computer and a big screen on his toilet wall .  keep up .

What would you do if there was a possibility of 200/250 visiting fans . ?   Ignore the advice of the Ground Safety Committee and Lincs Police and put them in YS end .
Would your employer tell H & SAFETY to go away if visited place of work , and ignore their recommendations .?
No evidence as I can see in your comments that can in any way leave the club open to allegations of "screwing the fans",  only evidence that some expect Chestnuts to keep dipping further into there pockets .

Do we have anything around town? Even our shop went years ago and we're relying on Cookie out of his own pocket perhaps to do bits and bobs for the youth team from his shop (which is out of the way)
There's no offers to attract this Premier League, Xbox generation of young supporter which in turn could carry over to reward loyal ST holders on the odd occasion.
It seems like they got round to the Fylde ticket situation but can't recall any details of travel to Nuneaton and Telford being placed anywhere other then the match programme (which can often run out before the game), potentially hindering/denying fans the opportunity to watch the team.
And as regards away fans it really isn't difficult. Give them the seats behind the goal or that end blue block of the stand if they really need it (unlikely as the corner will easily take 3-400 if it had to) and just stick a cheap fence in at the walkway at the front. That has been an issue however ever since we moved the tunnel, which did that job before.

You do not offer details of a practical "incentive" to get extra people through the gates . One off £10-£5 admission prices do not work as clubs if have tried it will tell you .   Suggest an idea to get the X Box generation to matches ,  no club has come up with an answer yet .  Sky TV is the real impact on crowd numbers nationwide .

I think people are more than capable of locating fixtures , venues etc  for matches thanks to social media etc ,  patronizing to suggest thy can,t .  We are Boston Und, not GTFC 1964 . : 8)

I take it you have no practical experience of ground alterations or costings , nor ground safety ,  health & safety etc .these bodies do not do "cheap fences " and work has to adhere to high (expensive) standard .  It seems that it has not occurred to you that  these alterations will only apply to maybe only 3 matches or less in the remaining time at YS , thus rendering them not cost efficient .

O K. having ideas but the hard fact in any business  they need to be self funding ,  or was you looking to Chestnuts to foot the loss .

One trick you have missed is emulating the Imps and Mariners  fans,  they got frustrated at the clubs not having money in the playing budget so thy set to and raised a substantial amount themselves .

You have still not responded to how BUFC have screwed the fans .

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
Most bemoan the high percentage of migrants in the town.

Various figures are touted about, but if we say 15,000 in the area, that is a very big percentage of the local population not attending any matches.

Could we not form some kind of social club aimed at these people. Football is a great ambassador ( take the 1914 match between allies and Germans ).

Could someone not hand out leaflets in various languages inviting them to a match?  Do some kind of deal, a two for one entry.

Just a thought.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2016, 01:11:17 PM »

Various figures are touted about, but if we say 15,000 in the area, that is a very big percentage of the local population not attending any matches.

Could we not form some kind of social club aimed at these people. Football is a great ambassador ( take the 1914 match between allies and Germans ).

Could someone not hand out leaflets in various languages inviting them to a match?  Do some kind of deal, a two for one entry.

Just a thought.

Basketball is a far bigger sport in Lithuania etc so I'm lead to believe..
Giving foreigners 2 for 1 might just take a few locals over the edge!!
And after ww1 game the war sadly dragged on.
I treated a Polish friend and his gf to a game when hurst and Scott were here.....we lost 0-3...awful game and they've never been back.
Sorry to pee on your parade....however I think the leaflet idea is a good one.
I've a feeling it's been tried a few years back but I don't think it was a sustained effort..

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2016, 02:11:02 PM »
I'm glad Den decided to stay, well done DN  8)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »

Just a thought.

Basketball is a far bigger sport in Lithuania etc so I'm lead to believe..
Giving foreigners 2 for 1 might just take a few locals over the edge!!
And after ww1 game the war sadly dragged on.
I treated a Polish friend and his gf to a game when hurst and Scott were here.....we lost 0-3...awful game and they've never been back.
Sorry to pee on your parade....however I think the leaflet idea is a good one.
I've a feeling it's been tried a few years back but I don't think it was a sustained effort..

Seems like with all this untapped fan base, some way of encouraging them should be looked in to.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »
Boston was the highest vote of Out in the referendum. A clear two fingers up to those you say you want to attract into the ground. Do you honestly think any forgien national would think it would be a welcoming and supportive environment? No, neither would I.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »
Boston was the highest vote of Out in the referendum. A clear two fingers up to those you say you want to attract into the ground. Do you honestly think any forgien national would think it would be a welcoming and supportive environment? No, neither would I.

Be interesting if other posters on here agree with me Mickey but I suspect you got this impression from reading the Daily Mail and the media in general .    Almost all the migrants in Boston that I meet would treat your comments with distain and disappointment .
Those I  meet that speak English are always polite and friendly , show respect and receive respect , some even making light hearted comments about the referendum .   They , like most Bostonians understand there are gains and losses for both parties and me all live happily together whatever the papers and BBC would like you to believe .