Author Topic: Back to back games  (Read 5820 times)

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
Back to back games
« on: September 13, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
Pilgrim86 managed a very quick turn around on Saturday to make two games in a day but I've got a slight twist on it in the next 24 hours or so.

Setting off down in the next couple of hours for tonight's game, then afterwards driving down Hertfordshire to meet a friend who is a Leicester season ticket holder and we then head to Bruges in the morning on the train.

So Conference North one night and Champions League the next, you could say one extreme to the other  ;)

There must be a few others with similar quick turn around between matches attended?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Back to back games
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 03:26:04 PM »
I would have missed less of our game had the bloody trams not been full!

When we played FCUM on the opening day in the UniBond, I was at Old Trafford within 24 hours the next day for a game against Birmingham.

I've done 2 in a day before, when we played Hucknall away one year, I went to a 12noon kick off in Radford, Nottingham before hopping back onto the Nottingham tram system to Hucknall. Didn't miss kick off (or a goal) that time...

I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 05:54:43 PM »
We played Nuneaton Town away in a 1pm friendly a couple of years ago. I went to Nuneaton Griff v Bolehall Swifts in the Midland Div 1 at 3pm

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »
Two years ago, I was in Basel for Switzerland v England on a Monday evening then made it to the Oxford City home game the following night. Yes, that 2-7 game...  8)

Also made it to a Saturday afternoon BUFC home game once after waking up in Stockholm. Think we lost that one too!

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
Many years ago on the August bank holiday, I saw Derby play some team at the old Baseball Ground at 3pm, and got home in time to see United play some other team at 7.30pm.

And more recently, but still a few years ago, I saw United play Kiddy on Saturday afternoon, and the next afternoon (Sunday) saw Inter Milan play Brescia at the San Siro.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
Did anyone do that trip in the 90s, where we played two away games oop north in one weekend?

And lost both - obviously.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:34:59 PM »
We lost our senior football record when we played twice in 2 days. Can't remember who we lost at, but they were also the last defeat before we went 50-odd unbeaten

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:51:59 PM »
Skelmersdale.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:28:50 PM »
We played Nuneaton Town away in a 1pm friendly a couple of years ago. I went to Nuneaton Griff v Bolehall Swifts in the Midland Div 1 at 3pm

Funnily enough I had a double header involving Nuneaton. We played there in an early kick-off at the tail end of the 2010-11 season (1-1 draw). On the way home I saw the 3 o'clock kickoff between Barwell and Stamford. Most of the Stamford players at that time were ex-BUFC, so it was almost like watching two Boston sides on the same day. Barwell won 2-1, clinched promotion and sprayed champagne over everybody.

Did anyone do that trip in the 90s, where we played two away games oop north in one weekend?

And lost both - obviously.

That would have been the tail end of the 1996-97 season, when we played Accrington Stanley away on the Saturday (lost 3-1), followed by Bishop Auckland away on the Sunday (lost 1-0). A few of us were at both matches including an overnight stop in a hotel in Middlesbrough where the team was also staying. Looking at the line-ups for the second match we had some players wearing unusual shirt numbers - our centre forward Phil Brown was number three, our left-back Chris Withe wore nine and central defender Darron Clyde was number eleven. If I remember rightly it was something to do with players having preferences in terms of short sleeved shirts versus long sleeves, and the fact that we'd had two games in two days had left us short of shirts with the right sleeve length and number combination. The Boston fans though were scratching our heads though when our team line-up was read out.

We did lose both games as you say, but I think that was the afternoon I won the golden goal at Bishop Auckland so it wasn't all bad news!

I also saw a double header a few years ago when there were back-to-back schoolboy internationals at Leicester's Filbert Street. England schoolboys lost to Germany on penalties, and I think Spain played Italy in the other match.

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 11:16:19 PM »
Leicester pilgrim,
You beat me to that reply re Pete b,
I had to go digging in attic for that years programmes,
Indeed as you stated there was confusion over the line up didn't fool anyone as we lost.

I went to both games and no overnight stay as had a wedding reception to attend on the Saturday
(Why do people get married in the football season) covered some miles that month as we had the mighty Gainsborough away as well as well as Lancaster.

Looking further back Knowsley away made me remember Nonk counting the crowd at 76 and then
A teenage scouser comming round with chalk board say attendance was 99, predictably he told him that he can't count being a scouser and do you charge the players etc. the scousers reply was to meet outside and he would slash him up.