Author Topic: Small World  (Read 6279 times)

Maxross

• View Profile
Small World
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:55:35 PM »
Having moved to Bristol a few months ago to start a new job, I've gotten pretty used to people having never heard of Boston, England.  However I bumped into a guy tonight who is a Bristol Rovers fan and not just new the town of Boston, but also the club!  He apparently wanted to visit the ground last year so headed up using some holiday time.  When he reached the stadium he met our Chairman who he was very impressed with and who apparently gave him a program and some souveniers and showed him around the ground.  The guy had nothing but good things to say and even knew we were 2nd in the League at the moment!  He obviously left with a very good impression of the club.  It's nice to know the Club's image is improving again and that we have a Chairman who is willing to give his own time to help the club.

Also in another strange coincidence I found out my boss - Colin Towler - used to play for Bath City back in 1999 when we pipped them to the league title.  Thoroughly nice bloke as well. 

Hope I haven't bored you too much but I was quite chuffed to move so far away and still find links with my beloved Boston United, Small world eh!

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
Re: Small World
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:33:03 PM »
Ahhh bath away. Remember the snow. Me and my now wife had a lovely weekend.

I remember zamora scoring too many goals for bath. 

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:35:58 AM »
I don't want to put a dampener on things, but I remember going down to Bath for an end-of-season midweek match once - 1999 I think. The original game had been postponed from a Saturday, and we had to make the long trip with a number of players missng due to work commitments. As I recall we had some suspensions as well, and fielded an understrength side. We then had someone sent off in the very early stages.

We were 4-0 down inside about twenty minutes, 5-0 down at half-time (I think) and eventually lost the game 8-0. Our three travelling supporters trudged out of the ground thoroughly demoralised and started the long drive back up the M5.

It made the experience of pipping Bath to the Championship all the more sweeter a year later.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
The lad sent off in that game was the 18 year old Academy skipper Danny Seagar, who was a cracking lad from London, really dedicated and you couldn't wish to meet a nicer lad. He was making his debut for the first team. I think he got sent off after about 10 minutes when it was 2-0. Evans told him he would never play for the first team again ...and he didn't. He captained the Academy to win the Lincs U18 Trophy and the RAF League Cup though but left at the end of that season because he knew he didn't have a future at the club while Evans was still here.

I have my own bad memories of Twerton Park, we often got beat by 3 or 4 goals there, they were a good side baqck in the early 80's with Paul Bodin at left back, Tony Ricketts at centre half and a couple of good forwards but I can't remember their names ....I am sure someone will remind me. Well my bad moment was breaking my arm in two places following a clash with their keeper Dave Mogg. It took me nearly six months to get back playing properly, so I know how Milly feels at the moment.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
The lad sent off in that game was the 18 year old Academy skipper Danny Seagar, who was a cracking lad from London, really dedicated and you couldn't wish to meet a nicer lad. He was making his debut for the first team. I think he got sent off after about 10 minutes when it was 2-0. Evans told him he would never play for the first team again ...and he didn't. He captained the Academy to win the Lincs U18 Trophy and the RAF League Cup though but left at the end of that season because he knew he didn't have a future at the club while Evans was still here.

I have my own bad memories of Twerton Park, we often got beat by 3 or 4 goals there, they were a good side baqck in the early 80's with Paul Bodin at left back, Tony Ricketts at centre half and a couple of good forwards but I can't remember their names ....I am sure someone will remind me. Well my bad moment was breaking my arm in two places following a clash with their keeper Dave Mogg. It took me nearly six months to get back playing properly, so I know how Milly feels at the moment.

You don't want to go to those two places again then Cookie ;D
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »

I can remember another game towards the end of that season away at Merthyr Tydfil, where again our squad was stretched to the bare bones. As I recall our assistant manager Trevor Quow even dusted off his boots and played. There was a young academy player who I remember running about a lot and then getting injured in that game and taken off. I had it in my mind that he was Danny Seager as well, but if he onlyplayed at Bath then it must have been someone else. Time has a habit of playing tricks on my memory.

Czuczmans Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »
I can remember Cookie badly breaking his arm at Bath and also the fact that Evans apparently layed into a very young and inexperienced team for their loss. Not sure if this is a load of bull@**t but i was informed that Matt Carmichael defended the young lads and he had Evans by the throat, also never played for the club again. Should have killed Evans!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
I can remember another game towards the end of that season away at Merthyr Tydfil, where again our squad was stretched to the bare bones. As I recall our assistant manager Trevor Quow even dusted off his boots and played. There was a young academy player who I remember running about a lot and then getting injured in that game and taken off. I had it in my mind that he was Danny Seager as well, but if he onlyplayed at Bath then it must have been someone else. Time has a habit of playing tricks on my memory.

The side at Merthyr was: Bastock,  Gowshall, Childs, Stringfellow, Southwell, Charles, Stanhope, Costello, Watts,  Featherstone, Quow. Subs: Rawle, Taylor, Walters.

Featherstone scored two goals and was replaced by Taylor and Rawle came on for Stringfellow and Walters for Southwell.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
Ricky Southwell? Broke his leg I think?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Shodfried

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »
I can remember Cookie badly breaking his arm at Bath and also the fact that Evans apparently layed into a very young and inexperienced team for their loss. Not sure if this is a load of bull@**t but i was informed that Matt Carmichael defended the young lads and he had Evans by the throat, also never played for the club again. Should have killed Evans!

What I remember vividly was the programme notes for the next home game after the Bath shambles........not a mention of the game. I was also told a member of staff at the time asked McFraud what he'd learned about his players during that game and the reply was 'none of the fcukers will be here next season.'

Man management the Evans way.........

Bath were like Worcester,Telford and Boston in the Conference in the 80's, they had big potential, big old fashioned grounds and never ever looked like winning the league. They were one of those awkward sides that always seemed hard to take points off but you always came away wondering why you'd not beaten them. 

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »
I seem to remember Danny Seager as a real prospect.Such was his treatment by Evans after the Bath game he went back to London at the end of the season and retired from football.As Shodfried said,another prime example of the fat ones man-management skills.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »
Ricky Southwell? Broke his leg I think?

That's probably right. Southwell, Seager, both begin with S, easily confused!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 12:21:06 PM »
Shodfried surely Evans would claim in his notes after this 8-0 defeat that the Bath manager admitted the best side lost !