Author Topic: BUFC v Worksop pix  (Read 8429 times)

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
Re: BUFC v Worksop pix
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
Oh memories, I had forgotten about that away kit!

Making me feel old, Callery senior playing for you, after young Alex played for us this season. It was bad enough watching Jon Froggatt play after watching his dad, Paul, play all those years ago. At least I haven't reached the stage where I have seen 3 generations play (yet)!

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »
Does anybody know what those two circular objects are on the roof of the York Street stand?

A bit early for satellite dishes, me thinks!

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »
Does anybody know what those two circular objects are on the roof of the York Street stand?

A bit early for satellite dishes, me thinks!
They're floodlights,though I can't remember them ever being in use.

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
They were the remnants of the original set of lights which were installed in 1955 and apparently caused quite a stir at the time when they were switched on for a Midland league match against Corby Town that we won 5-0.
"It was 1955 when Boston United installed floodlights at their ground. The first match played under the lights was a Midland League game against Corby Town on Monday 3rd October. The fact that Boston United were the first non-league club in the Midland League to install floodlights was a big attraction. Coaches from all over Lincolnshire brought spectators to the match. Organised parties arrived from Lincoln and Skegness. The large crowd broke the ground's attendance record as more than 9,000 people were packed in."(from Ken's classic games).
If I remember correctly there were similar lights in pairs on poles spread along both sides of the ground plus another couple on a telegraph type pole behind the goal at the Gliderdrome end. I can't remember the ones on the York Street stand being used after the present floodlight pylons were erected but I have often thought that we would  benefit if we still had some extra lights over the goals to brighten up the goal area action during night matches.
Seem to think that the original floodlights were ex-Grimsby Town lights but its a bit before my time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:19:27 PM by Bunyan »

Shodfried

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »
I can remember the stumps of the old lights were still visible prior to the ground being redeveloped down the main stand side of the ground.

And being the complete and utter sad act that I am I've got a bulb from the original set of lights in the current pylons in the study, they were replaced in the 80's and I swapped one for a Tottenham away programme........ ::)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »
The original lights were new Bunyan . They were installed by Holland Elecrical Installations a local firm older people will remember. In fact one of their electricians at that time is still seen at home matches supporting the Pilgrims.