« on: September 06, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »
Any news yet?
No commentary from Endeavour tonight  :(

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v BPA
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »
Got Endeavour fine here, just gone 1 up with Smith.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:47:22 PM by leftbackinthedressingroom »

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »
OK a much needed win against a terrible Bradford side although we needed the win so bad it only papers over the complete lack of ideas and how poor generally the current side is.
Bradford set there stall out after about half an hour to defend at all costs apart from Smithys 5 or 6 half chances (one of which he took and fully deserved his goal for his all round workmanlike body on the line performance) the game was dour with many many misplaced passes and a formation that was hard to work out with us having 2 at the back at times in the 2nd half.
I like the idea that Dennis is starting to look at other options but Marshall and StJuse at full backs? I'm sure they both never thought they would be playing there when they signed.
Many more changes required if we are to sit safely in midtable come may.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
OK a much needed win against a terrible Bradford side although we needed the win so bad it only papers over the complete lack of ideas and how poor generally the current side is.
Bradford set there stall out after about half an hour to defend at all costs apart from Smithys 5 or 6 half chances (one of which he took and fully deserved his goal for his all round workmanlike body on the line performance) the game was dour with many many misplaced passes and a formation that was hard to work out with us having 2 at the back at times in the 2nd half.
I like the idea that Dennis is starting to look at other options but Marshall and StJuse at full backs? I'm sure they both never thought they would be playing there when they signed.

St.Juste plays fullback for his country,St.Kitts,so nothing new for him there.
Both full backs IMO played really well

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »
Marshall and StJuse at full backs?

BPA were never going to come here and play with 2 wingers, and force our full backs towards their own goal - playing 2 extra wingers was there to give us (hopefully) more attacking impetus. St Juste has played full back many a time, so it's nothing new for him.

Marshall played well I thought, especially in the 2nd half as more of a wing back.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 10:37:55 PM »
Lol

Two teams very afraid to lose.
It was much like the England game. One team attacking and one team defending.
A very makeshift team did well. Half time subs did well

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
Good result, much needed 3 points. Things would have looked really bad had we lost. Hopefully we can build on this.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
Good 3 points.Need at least 4 from our next 2 games.I thought BPA were crap ?

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:29:39 AM »
Much needed win but as Shrimper says, it does paper over the cracks. Defence is really poor - lost count of the amount of misplaced passes when coming out from the back - and they just looked generally fragile.

Need to make sure we don't capitulate as usual when away from home on Saturday.

TEP

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 10:14:02 AM »
lost count of the amount of misplaced passes when coming out from the back - and they just looked generally fragile.

They were almost trying too hard to play football. Trying to pass a ball through an opponent, rather than playing the easy ball. Stop playing Beckham/Scoles-type passes when you're not those players.

Agnew and McMillan were both seemingly always available to receive the ball - often in space. We need to use the midfield, or hit the odd long ball up to Smith. He loves a challenge, feed him!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »
Great result which will now kick start our season. Well done DG and the team. Roll on Saturday for another 3 points!
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 03:58:13 PM »
Great result which will now kick start our season. Well done DG and the team. Roll on Saturday for another 3 points!

Lets hope so Burgh Boy.  Although i still fear we don't have enough firepower and goals in us at the current moment in time. But with a manager willing to make sweeping changes where needed, i feel we can now finally make our way up the league. I don't think it was a case of poor signings over the close season, i think its more that signings have not lived up to their potentials.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »
Have to disagree with you in respect of the signings LeftBack. I can't recall that many have come in with big reputations / history of delivering at this level or any level. We've signed a lot that have played in the Conference North previously - but they haven't exactly set the league alight whilst doing so. I'm not a big fan of taking players from within the same league - many just prove to be cast-offs. The following have all played at this level previously:

Dibble (Nuneaton)
St Juste (BPA, Fylde)
Colley (BPA, Stockport)
Emery (Gainsborough)
Maguire (Nuneaton)
Chippendale (BPA)
Pepe NGome (Corby)
Thomas (Corby)

I may be wrong but if you look at their history then I would say there is little potential amongst this bunch. They've probably performed exactly how you might expect. Personally, I'd much rather see some players coming in that have either dropped down a level (Southwell type) or have been really good at the level below and have the potential to step up (maybe Smith?). Interestingly, Smith has probably been our most effective player this season, yet DG has never opted for a target man in previous campaigns. Maybe a sign that he knows we are lacking quality in many areas of the pitch.

TEP

mike brolly boots

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 04:35:55 PM »
Get Fairhurst back and he will start knocking the goals in , looking forward to seeing Smith and Fairhurst up front

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »

I,m hopeful we will exceed your expectations again this  year shrimper ,  seeing Greene,s line-up last night I have to admit I thought he was bonkers , but again another tactical master stroke from him .   Most fans understood the formation idea from where I sat., And with the average age of the team being only 22 I thought they deserved credit for the way they adapted to a new system .  Many fans found it an entertaining game .

Papering over the cracks is is mainly due to still having key players out .  We were still minus 4/5 key players including Nat Brown who you know is king pin in defence .  And hopefully the goalkeeping position is now sorted .
Add to the goalie,  Brown , Fairhurst , Thomas , Smith , Rollins , Roberts and Agnew we have the backbone of a sound team .    Still early days and not unusual for young new signings to improve rapidly under Greene (remember Kaine Felix ?)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:01:38 PM by green hats mate »