Author Topic: Neil Thompson and DG  (Read 7052 times)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Neil Thompson and DG
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »
anyone else feel the vitriol aimed at the manager is history repeating itself?
remember what we got when the "fans" got what they wanted?
the club almost disappeared...in fact it would have done was there not the possibilty of a business oppurtunity ..
fair to say both are doing their best and at the moment the situation is not nice for anyone..BUT calling yourself "Knobhead Army" and shouting foul tirades is not going to help anyone

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Thompson and DG
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
be careful for what you wish for "knobhead army"
well actually you're not an army..just a small company.
should DG resign, i for one will not renew my season ticket next year...having seen NT driven out i'm not keen to want to sit in the same stadium (new or old) with venomous people

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
anyone else feel the vitriol aimed at the manager is history repeating itself?
remember what we got when the "fans" got what they wanted?
the club almost disappeared...in fact it would have done was there not the possibilty of a business oppurtunity ..
fair to say both are doing their best and at the moment the situation is not nice for anyone..BUT calling yourself "Knobhead Army" and shouting foul tirades is not going to help anyone

And to continue the story after Chestnuts rescue,  a short successful tenure by Scott and Hurst did not go unnoticed by the yobs ,   Rob was not slow to respond to the vile thrown at him .   
The pair departed to be followed by Jason Lee , a gentleman we are told .  This gave good scope to start another successful Out campaign , which soon culminated with Lee departing .
But better was to follow , appointed was Graham Drury a small manager in statue and frankly out of his depth as a manager .   It was fairly clear that he was on borrowed time but even so these "fans " seeing an easy target took their vitriol to a new level .

Next chapter saw the arrival of Dennis Greene to steer us away from the relegation threat left by Drury ,  this he did and has gone on to be arguably the best manager for decades .
Maybe his undoing was to unearth some players that caught the eye of bigger clubs .
These were lured away in the summer leaving him with the difficult task to build a completely new team .     This has given fuel to escalate the vitriol against Greene which set its roots last season by crude chants directed at him .

What will be the next chapter ?    Will there come a day when David Newton says,  enough is enough ,  never mind the manager ,  I,M OUT .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
But better was to follow , appointed was Graham Drury a small manager in statue and frankly out of his depth as a manager .   It was fairly clear that he was on borrowed time but even so these "fans " seeing an easy target took their vitriol to a new level .

Spoke to GD after our match in pre-season - he says Mr Newton told him to reduce the wagebill as the previous manager had pretty much spent it all before the season had ended. This is why Drury brought in lower-level players, on cheap wages, in an attempt to get through to the end of the season then rebuild. I think Drury would have had a better record with a full pre-season, but obviously the results dipped dramatically and he was removed from the manager's position.

This was however shown to be the right decision as DG elevated us to safety, and then improved us into a Play Off contending side.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

mike brolly boots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
The vitriol Thommo got was disgusting , as was his hounding out the club .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »
The vitriol Thommo got was disgusting , as was his hounding out the club .
as i stated..history is repeating itself ............

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 01:41:26 PM »
I think a good number of the more abusive fans pressing for Thompson's dismissal and the return of Evans stopped watching Boston United about twelve years ago, and haven't been seen since... good riddance.

soccermad67

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
I was not able to get to the match at the weekend. But the so call fans who give the manager so much abuse is not on at all  "Like Dennis or Hate him" I do like him he has got results for the  3 seasons, now Boston Utd are not winning, Why shout abuse at Dennis . Fans becareful was you ask for.   There are about 4 clubs in this league spending alot of money to get promoted,  I do mean " Alot of money. " with only 2 clubs going up. Boston Utd are not a high spending club.
Keep the faith in Dennis

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 07:47:33 PM »
I was not able to get to the match at the weekend. But the so call fans who give the manager so much abuse is not on at all  "Like Dennis or Hate him" I do like him he has got results for the  3 seasons, now Boston Utd are not winning, Why shout abuse at Dennis . Fans becareful was you ask for.   There are about 4 clubs in this league spending alot of money to get promoted,  I do mean " Alot of money. " with only 2 clubs going up. Boston Utd are not a high spending club.
Keep the faith in Dennis

According to a report I read today a Staylybridge director asked a counterpart from the Salford board ,  what is your budget ?
The Salford director replied  ,    we don,t have one , if we what to sigh a player we pay what he demands to get him .

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 08:08:31 PM »
Keep the faith in Dennis

According to a report I read today a Staylybridge director asked a counterpart from the Salford board ,  what is your budget ?
The Salford director replied  ,    we don,t have one , if we what to sigh a player we pay what he demands to get him .
don't believe all you read, if that was true you'd have the Salford all stars hand picking the very top players at a level above us.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:33 PM »
Refreshing to here some common sense in the posts above. Dennis has done a great job over the past few seasons attraction the best players we have had for years on a tight budget. These players moved on to pro clubs this summer Felix, Southwell, Mills etc. This season was always going to be a struggle but we will be fine if Dennis is backed by the fans.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
My opinion of DG is this.  Having been introduced to him at a social event, I would not be rushing back and making him a regular drinking buddy.  I have enough drinking buddies, but I only have one manager of the team I support.  Up till now overall he has done an okay job.

This season, things could not have started much worse.

I say give the man a chance, get behind him, and behind the team.

Okay his social skills leave a lot to be desired, but at this level his managerial skills are up with the best.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »
Refreshing to here some common sense in the posts above. Dennis has done a great job over the past few seasons attraction the best players we have had for years on a tight budget. These players moved on to pro clubs this summer Felix, Southwell, Mills etc. This season was always going to be a struggle but we will be fine if Dennis is backed by the fans.

Couldn't have put it any better and it's a feeling shared by most of the fans I have spoken to, most of whom are not on social media, or "anti-social media" as it's becoming.
United we stand..................

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »

As mentioned before Carl things are thrown out of prospective on social media .
In the section of the main stand where I have sat since the beginning of last season I have never heard it suggested that Greene should go , nor has he come under heavy criticism .     
This very  small minority makes lots of noise which contains very little substance (if any)
Can they name a better manager ?  NO.
Do these people think they can influence David Newton ?   Yes .
Will these people influence DN ? NO
Who thinks a very small vociferous bunch will influence a very experienced and highly successful business man into making a bad decision ?   I DON,T .

If they do how long will it be before the next incumbent is getting exactly the same abuse ? 

Mick lawson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
My personal thinking on the whole anti Dennis greene thing is maybe if Dennis didn't keep having a go at the fans at every opportunity on live radio maybe it would calm down and we can all get what's best for Boston United a winning team getting good vocal support from all supporters