Author Topic: Red Card Confusion  (Read 3511 times)

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Red Card Confusion
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:32:19 AM »
So, we seemingly had two very similar penalty incidents in the first game with different results (apart from not being scored) - one was a red card, one wasn't.  The rule reads quite strange.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:
The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or
The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)
In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.

So if you bring somebody down by slide tackling them, as long as it isn't deemed violent conduct, that's a yellow.  If you pull somebody back or simply push them, then that's a red.

So perhaps the refs got these right.  Stalybridge was a foul, Tamworth was a push.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Red Card Confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
that was what we decided last night :)
you can hack someone down but dont pull his shirt...
who would be a ref???
i thought last nights chap did a good job...

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
I thought the red was a bit harsh, but looking at the rules there the ref got it spot on. Not sure I agree with the rules, mind. Still: good officiating. Definitely a push.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
If the Stay/brid defender had chopped Colley down before he got into the box he would have been shown red .

If the Tamworth defender had committed his offence outside the box he would have only received a yellow .

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:10:26 PM »
Stonewall pen but I thought the new rule was to get rid of the triple hit of red, penalty and goal.
So like we saw v Stalybridge he got away with a yellow. Dare I say last year the tamworth bloke probably gets a red. I was surprised he got one last night

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:17:52 PM »
As it was a shirt pull and a push (both of which are deliberate acts) then it's still a red. Also, the defender had no chance of getting the ball (attacker between him and the ball) therefore there was no 'genuine attempt' to win it.

Definite red card.

I also believe handball on the line (i.e. preventing a certain goal) is also still a red card.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
I also believe handball on the line (i.e. preventing a certain goal) is also still a red card.
Spot on Scotty

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off: denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
As it was a shirt pull and a push (both of which are deliberate acts) then it's still a red. Also, the defender had no chance of getting the ball (attacker between him and the ball) therefore there was no 'genuine attempt' to win it.

Definite red card.

I think handball on the line should just be a penalty goal, like in Rugby
No card, just get on with the game

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
I think handball on the line should just be a penalty goal, like in Rugby
No card, just get on with the game

As a former oval ball player, I've long thought that and would go further.  Any deliberate and illegal attempt to prevent a goal should be a penalty goal.