Author Topic: Looking a tad better.  (Read 8034 times)

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Looking a tad better.
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
At the moment, could be three points here.
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking a tad better.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »

First three points tonight were fully justified , the team showed much more spirit and fought well for the win, Greg Smith really gave the team a target man, Hilliard had an excellent game, a good all round fighting performance from all players, Tamworth must be disappointed to go home  without a share of the points, because I thought Tamworth played well, Dibble kept them out when they tried to score, it was just not there night, it was a good match enjoyed by the home supporters,let's hope the team can  keep it up at Chorley on Saturday .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:03:59 PM »
Only thing I would add was the back four did well. Burgess who often gets stick did well.
Marshall needs to look to Grant Roberts and do things a bit simpler.
But an entertaining game. 3 goals ..clean sheet...missed pen..sending off.bar hit 3 times (we could have won 4  3 !). ..played get out of jail card on a few occasions :)

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:55:03 AM »
Not many comments after the win is there ? I think the doubters and anti Den brigade need to find some heart and praise the lads and management team after this, we all knew that this new team need some time to come together and if you stick with it you will reap the rewards. Without a doubt the turning point in last nights game was the sending off, but you still have to go on and beat ten men, and how many times do we see teams finding that a harder task than normal. Our passing and wing play is really coming together, and now we have got a few goals confidence will come. So long as we as fans don't keep knocking the players that is.  What is worrying is our growing injury list, poor Katie is going to be kept busy !

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:58:20 AM »
Really important that we won last night - more so than the performance. I think DG will be a relieved man this morning.

Despite a clean sheet, I would add that in my opinion, the defence looks very fragile - particularly vulnerable to high balls down the middle. Last season we got used to Piergianni dealing with most of these quite comfortably. Maguire and whoever else is alongside him at the moment quite clearly don't have the same commanding presence. Let's not kid ourselves, Tamworth could have scored three or four themselves last night and still looked dangerous when down to ten men (not in agreement with the ref about the red card on that one).

Very important the team carry the momentum into the Chorley game on Saturday. Four points off the play offs - five points off first place :)

TEP

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
Observations from last night:

-   We’re going to concede a lot of goals

-   BUT CHEER UP! Attacking wise, we looked much improved last night. This will be a fun team to watch. Frustrating at times, but fun. You’ll cry while laughing. You’ll boot your Pot Noodle into the face of the linesman while whistling the tune to Happy Days. We’ll go 2-0 up v Phoenix Club (1972 Ltd) and lose 3-2. But the important thing is we’re not proper crap, which is what a few people have fretted about.

-   Gregg Smith: I got a text midway through the game saying ‘the new Tony 'The Crane' Crane?’. Woah there. Not so fast. Crane was a Geoff Hurst-esque colossus whose historic legacy looms over this club like Clough at Forest, or Maldini at Milan, or Tomas Brolin at Leeds. His legend cannot and will not be dislodged so easily by this interloper. That being said, Smith’s performance last night was certainly one that offers encouragement to those who worry this team’s hasty arrangement has made them too brittle. Smith will probably be red carded at least twice. He is exactly what we need. Darlington fans be damned.

-   Fairhurst. Great to see him grab an early goal, and equally great to see how he shrugged off the last defender. It was like seeing a tractor performing a deft blocking manoeuvre having accidentally driven into the middle of Le Mans. The finish was quality. Yes, he crippled himself in the process, but let’s hope it’s not too bad and he can return to action asap. He’s still off the pace, but he will be a good player. Not the dynamic force of Southwell or Miller, no. Think Gazza v Newcastle all them years ago, like.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:19:49 AM by Pete B »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »
Really important that we won last night - more so than the performance. I think DG will be a relieved man this morning.

Despite a clean sheet, I would add that in my opinion, the defence looks very fragile - particularly vulnerable to high balls down the middle. Last season we got used to Piergianni dealing with most of these quite comfortably. Maguire and whoever else is alongside him at the moment quite clearly don't have the same commanding presence. Let's not kid ourselves, Tamworth could have scored three or four themselves last night and still looked dangerous when down to ten men (not in agreement with the ref about the red card on that one).

Very important the team carry the momentum into the Chorley game on Saturday. Four points off the play offs - five points off first place :)

TEP

Important win , if Tamworth had won they would have been 2 points clear at the top of the table and 10 points in front of us .
Re penalty ,   if you read the new rules you will see both penalties given at YS this season have been the correct decisions .

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »

TEP

Important win , if Tamworth had won they would have been 2 points clear at the top of the table and 10 points in front of us .
Re penalty ,   if you read the new rules you will see both penalties given at YS this season have been the correct decisions .

I'd agree the first pen was a genuine challenge for the ball so a yellow. The one last night wasnt so a red

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
I got a text midway through the game saying ‘the new Tony 'The Crane' Crane?’. Woah there. Not so fast.

I did say I might have gone early  ;)

Much better going forward than what I saw at Harrogate (which was not that bad anyway) and a lot more control in the midfield which I think does come from the target up front.  It showed that having a big man does not mean its lump it long football, but a chance to mix it and get physical when needed.

At the back though, Maguire.... not for me on the evidence of the games I've seen.  Hope he turns it around quickly. 

Smith an obvious MOM in my view but also good performances from Hilliard, St Juste, Price and Wildin. 

What did annoy, but in no way surprise me, was the absolute eagerness by some supporters to have a go.  One chap at half time came over declaring Greene was on borrowed time and had written off the season off entirely.  Its four games in for crying out loud, with an almost entirely new team.  The same bloke hardly smiled when the second and third went in, it's genuinely like some people want to see it all go tits up.

Not at Chorley this weekend but really looking forward to Kiddy, should be a cracker.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 01:52:04 PM »
I got a text midway through the game saying ‘the new Tony 'The Crane' Crane?’. Woah there. Not so fast.

I did say I might have gone early  ;)

Much better going forward than what I saw at Harrogate (which was not that bad anyway) and a lot more control in the midfield which I think does come from the target up front.  It showed that having a big man does not mean its lump it long football, but a chance to mix it and get physical when needed.

At the back though, Maguire.... not for me on the evidence of the games I've seen.  Hope he turns it around quickly. 

Smith an obvious MOM in my view but also good performances from Hilliard, St Juste, Price and Wildin. 

What did annoy, but in no way surprise me, was the absolute eagerness by some supporters to have a go.  One chap at half time came over declaring Greene was on borrowed time and had written off the season off entirely.  Its four games in for crying out loud, with an almost entirely new team.  The same bloke hardly smiled when the second and third went in, it's genuinely like some people want to see it all go tits up.

Not at Chorley this weekend but really looking forward to Kiddy, should be a cracker.

The chap you refer to in the last paragraph is typical of a very small minority of so called "fans"   .   Can never understand why anyone pays good money in the hope of seeing the club fail .  As you suggest anyone with a slightest knowledge of football knows that promotion chances are not lost in the first four games  .

Now one thing I will assume , this guy last night failed to suggest a name of a prospective manager who could come in and do a better job .  Is there anyone available with a better CV than Greene. ?   I have invited Green,s knockers on Patter over the last year to nominate an alternative manager .   
With a bit of arm twisting just one responded .   His nomination ?    Neil Redfern ,  one of my all time Pilgrim favourites .
Neils managerial  CV is thus ....

120 games         32 wins       23 draws   65 lost    .  an average of less than one point a game .   Pitiful .

Earlier this week on Duncan Browns twitter showed an article from the Guardian ,  it was mentioned in it that in the summer Neil looked into the Oldham A managers job ,  and showed dismay as it only paid £40k a year !!!

Where I disagree with MNH is his annoyance ,   I feel sorry for these people .  remember Drury ? remember Jason Lee ?and others over the years .?

For every minute of hatred,  a minute of joy is lost .    Will these people ever be happy?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:55:36 PM by green hats mate »

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
Much improved. Particularly going forwards, even though it was against ten men for a while. Confidence building clean sheet but let's not kid ourselves on another night it could've been 3-3. Surprised their lad got sent off. Thought the new rules were to stop the penalty/goal/red triple punishment... Not that we're scoring penalties and actually had that gone in we'd have probably ran riot.
Onto chorley. Try and get up there, I know we have all our long trips early on and games come thick and fast early on but hopefully make your presence felt up there to cheer them on.
Atmosphere was strange tonight. Not many willing to join in the songs. I felt a few almost wanted us to lose just to have a good whinge. Get behind them. If our team isn't great we need the support to get us over the line.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
Where I disagree with MNH is his annoyance ,   I feel sorry for these people . 

I get your point, my annoyance is more based around the general negativity that it can have - and then that on the team etc. 

To add to my other post I've now watched the video interviews post match, Wade out for 2 maybe 3 weeks.  Bugger.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »
Get behind them. If our team isn't great we need the support to get us over the line.

100% agree.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »
Get behind them. If our team isn't great we need the support to get us over the line.

100% agree.

That's exactly why I felt compelled to drive across last night - I can't even remember the last time I did a midweek home game! I'm never going to win any gongs for 'supporter of the year', but the worse Boston's start was, the more I felt I should go. Well that and the fact probably I can't make a game now until mid November... ahem.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
I was expecting a full house though last night on the back of 3 defeats. We love a moan!