Author Topic: Feeling old  (Read 4447 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Feeling old
« on: August 08, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »
You realise you are getting old when things change. When I was a lad footballers had names such as John, Bobby, Mick, Dave, Steve, Alan, Freddy, Billy, Paul and Dick. So this season I'm really feeling old looking at Boston United's squad with  names I not even come across before. We've now got Lamin, Waide, Herve and Kalern. And Lewis, Christian, Marc, Jay, Liam, Jason and Callum didn't often crop up on past teamsheets either. It's a new generation with new names.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:29:00 PM by Ken Fox »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling old
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
You realise you are getting old when things change. When I was a lad footballers had names such as John, Bobby, Mick, Dave, Steve, Alan, Freddy, Billy, Paul and Dick. So this season I'm really feeling old looking at Boston United's squad with  names I not even come across before. We've now got Lamin, Waide, Herve and Kalern. And Lewis, Christian, Marc, Jay, Liam, Jay and Callum didn't often crop up on past teamsheets either. It's a new generation with new names.

When I was a lad and started going to YS all 22 players on the field was called SON .

Pass it Son ...........Well played Son etc etc .

Seemed strange a 19 year old calling a 36 year old team-mate  Son .

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »
Also football used to be played on mud pitches (pre grass and 3G). Football boots were always black and white. Goalkeepers wore mainly green. Keepers could pick up back passes. There was only one sub allowed. If you couldn't make it to a game you could still get updates by phoning Clubcall.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »
I remember as a youth listening for radio Lincolnshire to join the live reporter every 15-20 minutes for a live update at the ground. One noticeable timeline I remember the half time report being 1 each away at possibly Darlington in the conference, only to rejoin after an hour and we were 5-1 down! Those were the days.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »
Also football used to be played on mud pitches (pre grass and 3G). Football boots were always black and white. Goalkeepers wore mainly green. Keepers could pick up back passes. There was only one sub allowed. If you couldn't make it to a game you could still get updates by phoning Clubcall.

and centre forwards could bundle goalies into the back of the net .

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »
...and players could tackle and head the ball

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »
And goalkeepers had to kick out the ball on the side of the goal the ball went out of play.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »
Arms were for keeping by your sides and shirts were to be worn (tucked in) and not pulled by opponents or ripped off when celebrating a score.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »
And goalkeepers had to kick out the ball on the side of the goal the ball went out of play.

This is an annoying rule used to the full by time-wasters.
United we stand..................

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
Shielding the ball out with your body, was called ungentlemanly conduct.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 05:49:55 PM »
......particularly when you are not within playing distance of it, which I thought was the rule (perhaps that has changed too).