Author Topic: A long season ahead  (Read 40580 times)

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: A long season ahead
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 07:19:10 PM »
Could well be a long season indeed as nothing I witnessed yesterday blew me away and made me think any different from what I witnessed in the friendlies. (see my old post 'Pre season and I'm worried')
Yes the ref was poor the grass was short and the team is new...oh yea and it was hot.
BUT
Lost count of the number of corners we had and never felt like we would score from one if we were still playing now.
Only plusses for me were Fairhurst was sharp when he came on and looked up for it.
McGuire is solid...Jay was the biggest threat we had.
As much as Green likes Hlliard as his playmaker he gives us absolutely nothing when the opposition have it and we play like having one in the middle of the park.
Get Robbo back out there and lets play 4-4-2 at home.
Ill be at Harrogate just hope we can dig something out but fear the worst.

As I have said lets give up take a demotion booooooo bloody rubbish Boston

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 06:49:38 AM »
I get the impression that some on here just want us too fail and gloat when we lose,sad really but that is how they come across....

Loved the way the ref stopped his watch when they were slowly making their last substitution and then started it three seconds later,what a joke lol ... Also,how were they allowed to take an offside free kick in our half ? (mind you,we did same late on lol) They take a corner on the right then same player has to walk to left back position to take a throw in and the officials just wait,cannot see many officials doing that each week..

Oh,as for the yellow when Lammin was clattered in the box,I wasn't aware of the rule change until half time,apparently it is a red outside the box but yellow inside this season,what a farce,a last man foul should be red no matter where the offence happens,just hope the next penalty we get someone will lace the bugger into the back of the net instead of passing back to the keeper...

I could name one person who has already got it in for us and the club this season, lol. Luckily, they stamped their feet and stayed away today, no names  :bunny

I really do hope that's not aimed in my direction but just to clarify;

I chose to miss the game because I wanted to be with my daughter who was taken into hospital last night.

I also made a choice to watch the cricket as I much prefer it to 6th rate football.

Quite how you come to the conclusion I've 'got in in for' anyone or anything is hard to fathom, but perhaps you'd like to name those names you believe don't sing off your hymn sheet.I'm now in my 40th season of supporting the club and find these snipes from faceless individuals a little hard to take, no one wants success for BUFC more than me, if you don't have the courage of your convictions to put your name to these comments please retract them.

Andy Butler 

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
Could well be a long season indeed as nothing I witnessed yesterday blew me away and made me think any different from what I witnessed in the friendlies. (see my old post 'Pre season and I'm worried')
Yes the ref was poor the grass was short and the team is new...oh yea and it was hot.
BUT
Lost count of the number of corners we had and never felt like we would score from one if we were still playing now.
Only plusses for me were Fairhurst was sharp when he came on and looked up for it.
As much as Green likes Hlliard as his playmaker he gives us absolutely nothing when the opposition have it and we play like having one in the middle of the park.

Real concerns ,  only 41 matches left and 3 points behind leaders  ::)
Lets look for positives ,
After being poor in PSF Fairhurst comes on and made impact as you say .  Others will do the same hopefully.
Maquire along with a fit Nat Brown will make a better pairing  than Pidge and Garner ,   less yellow and red cards, and more importantly the ball will be past out of defence instead of hoofed .

Corners were wasted , real hope that the return of Brown and Smith will eliminate this .

Get Robbo back  ... who is Robbo?

Turning the clock back 2 seasons I don,t recall anyone predicting Southwell to become a Div 2 player , what I do recall is most of us saying that Kaine Felix was only good enough for a sqaud player at best .

Thats the real hope , there,s things there that football people can see and the fans don,t .

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »
Grant Roberts.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »
I thought Maguire had a very good game, the rest were average, but we certainly need to improve in our next game.
he reminds me of Mark graves. Not the biggest centre half but good in the air and positionally very aware of what's around him. Good signing.

I agree, Maguire looks the best of the new signings, though I think you mean Mark Greaves and not Graves. There was a Mark Graves as well, but he played against us and for Wealdstone in the 1985 FA Trophy Final. By the way, I see there's another thread currently running about "feeling old". Apart from Nat Brown, were any of Boston's squad even born when we went to Wembley?

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 07:36:41 PM »
I thought Maguire had a very good game, the rest were average, but we certainly need to improve in our next game.
he reminds me of Mark graves. Not the biggest centre half but good in the air and positionally very aware of what's around him. Good signing.

I agree, Maguire looks the best of the new signings, though I think you mean Mark Greaves and not Graves. There was a Mark Graves as well, but he played against us and for Wealdstone in the 1985 FA Trophy Final. By the way, I see there's another thread currently running about "feeling old". Apart from Nat Brown, were any of Boston's squad even born when we went to Wembley?
I was auto corrected by my bloody kindle! Of course I meant Mark Greaves.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »
Grant Roberts.

Thanks ,   feared it meant Ryan Robbins .

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:59 PM »
Thats the real hope , there,s things there that football people can see and the fans don,t .

Seems we do agree on most things after all.
Having been a semi pro player and manager for many seasons I feel I am what you could call a 'football person' and also a fan.

See you at Harrogate.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
Also,how were they allowed to take an offside free kick in our half ? (mind you,we did same late on lol)

Another rule you're not aware of....although it did help that we were sat next to the ref assessor.  If a player is offside and runs back into his own half to play the ball, he is offside where he plays the ball.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Also,how were they allowed to take an offside free kick in our half ? (mind you,we did same late on lol)

Another rule you're not aware of....although it did help that we were sat next to the ref assessor.  If a player is offside and runs back into his own half to play the ball, he is offside where he plays the ball.

Pleased you said that as it did baffle me

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 09:29:33 AM »
Jeez, all these daft new rules, let's just go back to the way the game was played in the 50s & 60s.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »
BUT

Real concerns ,  only 41 matches left and 3 points behind leaders  ::)
Lets look for positives ,
After being poor in PSF Fairhurst comes on and made impact as you say .  Others will do the same hopefully.
Maquire along with a fit Nat Brown will make a better pairing  than Pidge and Garner ,   less yellow and red cards, and more importantly the ball will be past out of defence instead of hoofed .

Corners were wasted , real hope that the return of Brown and Smith will eliminate this .

Get Robbo back  ... who is Robbo?

Turning the clock back 2 seasons I don,t recall anyone predicting Southwell to become a Div 2 player , what I do recall is most of us saying that Kaine Felix was only good enough for a sqaud player at best .

Grant Roberts.

Thanks ,   feared it meant Ryan Robbins .

Looking back at a recent shrimpers thread it seems most likely he meant Ryan Robins .

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »
Missed Saturday so tonight will be my first attempt at learning the new names/faces.  Will be interesting with the 3G pitch as I'm sure it will be an advantage to play them so early on it. Hope we can get something positive, get off the mark with goals scored and points earned, I'm not expecting play offs this season but given my predictions have been pretty poor in recent years I'm not the man to ask.

And at least with the change in surface Dennis can wear those shoes again with a bit more confidence!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 03:58:31 PM »
Looking back at a recent shrimpers thread it seems most likely he meant Ryan Robins .

I assumed as he mentioned Hilliard's ineffective performance in the previous sentence, he meant to bring in Roberts instead. I'd do the same.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2016, 04:58:57 PM »
I get the impression that some on here just want us too fail and gloat when we lose,sad really but that is how they come across....

Loved the way the ref stopped his watch when they were slowly making their last substitution and then started it three seconds later,what a joke lol ... Also,how were they allowed to take an offside free kick in our half ? (mind you,we did same late on lol) They take a corner on the right then same player has to walk to left back position to take a throw in and the officials just wait,cannot see many officials doing that each week..

Oh,as for the yellow when Lammin was clattered in the box,I wasn't aware of the rule change until half time,apparently it is a red outside the box but yellow inside this season,what a farce,a last man foul should be red no matter where the offence happens,just hope the next penalty we get someone will lace the bugger into the back of the net instead of passing back to the keeper...

I could name one person who has already got it in for us and the club this season, lol. Luckily, they stamped their feet and stayed away today, no names  :bunny

I really do hope that's not aimed in my direction but just to clarify;

I chose to miss the game because I wanted to be with my daughter who was taken into hospital last night.

I also made a choice to watch the cricket as I much prefer it to 6th rate football.

Quite how you come to the conclusion I've 'got in in for' anyone or anything is hard to fathom, but perhaps you'd like to name those names you believe don't sing off your hymn sheet.I'm now in my 40th season of supporting the club and find these snipes from faceless individuals a little hard to take, no one wants success for BUFC more than me, if you don't have the courage of your convictions to put your name to these comments please retract them.

Andy Butler

My comment was aimed at no particular person Andy,just a comment to those who are saying doomed after one game,we didn't exactly hit the ground running this time last year and turned it around...