Author Topic: A long season ahead  (Read 40720 times)

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: A long season ahead
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »
the result could have been completely different if it hadn't been for one of the poorest penalty kicks EVER seen at YS....

For goodness sake,a penalty kick aint rocket science......put the ball on the spot, take a LONGGG run up and whack the ball into the net!

Having seen Chippendale take the penalty at Stamford, I was surprised he didn't take the one today. Pity he didn't.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
I thought Maguire had a very good game, the rest were average, but we certainly need to improve in our next game.
he reminds me of Mark graves. Not the biggest centre half but good in the air and positionally very aware of what's around him. Good signing.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 10:14:59 PM »
the result could have been completely different if it hadn't been for one of the poorest penalty kicks EVER seen at YS....

For goodness sake,a penalty kick aint rocket science......put the ball on the spot, take a LONGGG run up and whack the ball into the net!

Having seen Chippendale take the penalty at Stamford, I was surprised he didn't take the one today. Pity he didn't.
also Lewis took and scored them last year when Dayle injured, so why not him today?

John Bunyan, 1684

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
I thought Maguire had a very good game, the rest were average, but we certainly need to improve in our next game.
he reminds me of Mark graves. Not the biggest centre half but good in the air and positionally very aware of what's around him. Good signing.

Maguire was my MOTM,good in the air,good distribution,never panicked under pressure and always looked to play the ball too feet,him and Nat will make a good partnership..

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »
Biggest negative for me was that we didn't have any apparent leaders on the pitch - someone vocal, organising and taking responsibility. We need this above all else. Most of the players seem ok ability wise though and should have more end product when they get some confidence.

Heard that Brown could be out for a further month. Don't think we can rely on someone of his age for the whole season. We need a big bruiser ready for when we play Halifax and hat trick man Denton.

TEP

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 07:50:39 AM »

Maguire was my MOTM,good in the air,good distribution,never panicked under pressure and always looked to play the ball too feet,him and Nat will make a good partnership..

Maguire has certainly vindicated Greee,s decision to let Scott Garner to leave .

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:06 AM »
Here's the usual link to the public photo album on Facebook with some snaps from the game:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154395890974282.1073741975.570994281&type=1&l=14c294e8ad

I'm a bit rusty with the camera after the off-season break, but there are a few half decent shots in there - including the flypast by the RAF's latest hi-tech kit. :)

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 10:49:58 AM »
Heard someone in the stand say it was the ref's first game in Conf North after being promoted; apparently he's being 'fast tracked' by the FA as he's 'one for the future'. God help us!

soccermad67

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
another new season ahead   and yet another very poor ref and officials. time wasting by Stalybridge was never acted upon most of the game.

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
Could well be a long season indeed as nothing I witnessed yesterday blew me away and made me think any different from what I witnessed in the friendlies. (see my old post 'Pre season and I'm worried')
Yes the ref was poor the grass was short and the team is new...oh yea and it was hot.
BUT
Lost count of the number of corners we had and never felt like we would score from one if we were still playing now.
Only plusses for me were Fairhurst was sharp when he came on and looked up for it.
McGuire is solid...Jay was the biggest threat we had.
As much as Green likes Hlliard as his playmaker he gives us absolutely nothing when the opposition have it and we play like having one in the middle of the park.
Get Robbo back out there and lets play 4-4-2 at home.
Ill be at Harrogate just hope we can dig something out but fear the worst.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
Heard someone in the stand say it was the ref's first game in Conf North after being promoted; apparently he's being 'fast tracked' by the FA as he's 'one for the future'. God help us!
only partly related but I was told he was a lino when Chorley beat us with that overhead kick and pennos a couple of years back.

John Bunyan, 1684

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
On the balance of play we deserved at least a point. It was a team with a lot of new players and that was evident from our play, hopefully we'll learn from this and improve.

We won a lot of corners and had a lot of crosses into the box from deep but never looked like doing anything with them, if Brown or Smith where available we might have had a chance with the balls into the box but they weren't and it was all to easy for Stalybridge to defend.

A few small changes for Tuesday and we've got a good chance to get some points on the board. Colley didn't look up to, certainly not a player capable of scoring 20+ at this level and not particularly good in the air for a tall man. Fairhurst looked much more threatening in the few mins he had and should start Tuesday. Maguire was our only decent defender. Pepe-Ngoma isn't enough of a presence to play centre half, thought he did ok as a holding midfielder against Peterborough. Put round pegs in round holes and put Thomas the right back at right back, get the left back off the bench and play him at left back, if Brown is fit play him rather than Pepe-Ngoma, if not then put Price at centre half.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
The Premier League kick off next Saturday .   I predict that for many weeks to come a few top managers in that league will be pleading that it takes time to bed new players in .   Can anyone suggest how Greene can get a whole new team with 4 hours training a week working as a unit ,  on a shorter time scale than Prem teams with a few additions  in full=time training ?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
not particularly good in the air for a tall man

Why do people assume tall players should be good at heading the ball? He's not strong enough to be a target man. His main strength is receiving the ball to feet, turning and running at goal. He did this a couple of times yesterday, and looked dangerous when he did.

He's not suited to running onto a through ball, especially when they are overhit or just lofted - like most of them yesterday. Give him the ball on the ground!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »
And a selection of snaps for those that don't do Facebook.

Pre-match chat

All ready to go

Marcus Marshall and Ollie Price gurning competition

The Town End get going

Marcus Marshall

Jay Rollins

Herve Pepe-Ngoma

Kalern Thomas

Jason St Juste

Callum Chippendale

Lamin Colley is fouled and a penalty is awarded

The penalty is saved

Ollie Price

De Havilland DH82 Queen Bee

De Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth

Christian Dibble

Joe Maguire

Jay Rollins

Waide Fairhurst and Lamin Colley

Waide Fairhurst

Lewis Hilliard

Now was it white shirts this week or blue?

Liam Adams

Liam Adams

Grant Roberts