Author Topic: V Gateshead  (Read 17623 times)

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
V Gateshead
« on: July 30, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
Lost 3-2.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:51:42 PM by Ernie100 »

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: V Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »
Looked alright going forwards. Smith got a header after good work by Chippendale. Should have made it 2 early in 2nd half. Rollins took his goal well to put us 2-1 up, his first touch. Colley was frustrating,  fairhurst still looked short, scuffed a decent chance. St juste did fairly well.
But at the back, any balls into our box we were all over the place. Nobody took control and their 2nd, 3rd goals were very poor. Their first goal was easy too. We played a poor pass under no pressure and gave their striker acres of room to pick out a cross for a tap in.
If we play like that we'll probably score 60 or 70 but concede a few more

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »
But, with a taller centre-back in there we look OK. We need either Nat Brown or Ollie Price (based on the game at KL) playing alongside Maguire - HPN tidying up in midfield.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 09:43:52 PM »
Plenty of positive vibes coming from various reports on today's game. So i have to question,  why do we have a few angry fans on social media that have already concluded that we are doomed, right after pre season ?!

As i said a week ago, wait till we have played several league games before forming a solid judgement.  Roll on next weekend, lots of positivity, lots of noise from the Town End, and a good three points earned.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:47 AM »
Plenty of positive vibes coming from various reports on today's game. So i have to question,  why do we have a few angry fans on social media that have already concluded that we are doomed, right after pre season ?!

As i said a week ago, wait till we have played several league games before forming a solid judgement.  Roll on next weekend, lots of positivity, lots of noise from the Town End, and a good three points earned.

I don,t do  twitter or facebook  ,   is it the same people who spent most of last  season slagging Greene off on Patter and predicting we would miss out on the play-offs ?    If so it give,s us great confidence for next season .

P.S .  Can,t recall the above people eat humble pie and have the grace to come on and admit their judgement was flawed ,  or did I miss it?

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »

I don,t do  twitter or facebook  ,   is it the same people who spent most of last  season slagging Greene off on Patter and predicting we would miss out on the play-offs ?    If so it give,s us great confidence for next season .

P.S .  Can,t recall the above people eat humble pie and have the grace to come on and admit their judgement was flawed ,  or did I miss it?

It takes a brave person to admit that they were wrong, some have, and i respect them a lot for doing so. I just wish the others would do so, and then start to get behind Den as he is not going anywhere, another prediction many of them got wrong towards the end of last season, lol.  As for profiles on here and those posting on social media, i have no idea who around 80% of you really are on here, so i couldn't say if it is the same people. Like i say, the majority of our fans are already behind this new team, i feel its just the anti Den gang that will still find something to moan about no matter what.  It would be nice to think that come next Saturday morning that we could ALL be a unit and back each and every member of the squad and management team 100%, leading then to three points, as we the fans can play our part.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »
Can,t really understand these people harbouring a grudge against the manager and predicting doom and glum on a regular basis .   What grounds have they for predicting failure at this stage ?.     

I fail to think of another manager over the last 40 years at YS who has  a record of finishing in the top six in 3 consecutive years .   Can they enlighten me ?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:59:44 AM by green hats mate »

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:16:12 PM »
We seemed to do alright in the 70s. Pretty much made non league a 2 tier setup with us and the rest

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »
We seemed to do alright in the 70s. Pretty much made non league a 2 tier setup with us and the rest

Don,t recall a manager in the 70s  with a record to touch Green,s ,   who was it ?

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
What's Greene's win rate? 50%? 45%?
Howard Wilkinson, Jim Smith? Those managers in the 70s when we were hoovering up titles winning 30 games a season.
DG has done a solid job, much better than those immediately before him, but there must be others with a higher win rate... even the bent fraudster averaged about 50%

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »
I said weeks ago that IF we lose the first few games then we need to get behind the team,this is virtually a complete new squad so they need time to gel which I am sure they will,Nat will be back on Saturday so that should make a difference.

Trouble with fans at any level,they want success and want it NOW they are not prepared to wait anymore and give players time,we may have struggled in a few pre season friendlies but two of our best performances came against Posh and Grimsby so there are signs the lads can do it.. The team against Linscum first half was mainly trialists and not many of them remained after that game,pre season is about fitness and trying players in other roles so you have options throughout the season esp if we get injuries..

As others have said,look at the start we had last season and look where we finished,judge in May not in July..

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
Howard Wilkinson, Jim Smith? Those managers in the 70s when we were hoovering up titles winning 30 games a season.
DG has done a solid job, much better than those immediately before him, but there must be others with a higher win rate... even the bent fraudster averaged about 50%

What seasons did Howard or Jim finish in the top 6 in  3 consecutive seasons ?
We must remember that they were in the days of us being one of the big spending teams . 

Mcfaud ? think about it ,   a none starter !!! .     I think 1st season back in the Conference we finished mid-table .     This man took us from the Beazer League and
 effectively took us back to unibond league all at a cost of £3million plus the perk of tax fiddling, almost sending the club into extinction .

If Greene had a budget a quarter of what Evans had I think he would probably achieve a 75% win rate .

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 08:19:09 PM »

I would say his win rate is more around the 55% - 60% mark, am sure someone could go over our games with a fine tooth comb and come up with the full stats.  But i would suggest that around 80% of all other managers, up and down the leagues, won't have a record much higher.  Can anyone on here name a BUFC manger with a 70% - 80% success rate through their total time in charge at the club ?  There is no doubt that we as fans all want success.  But do we expect a bit to much all the time ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:54:34 PM by leftbackinthedressingroom »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
I can’t agree with some of the off-field stuff, but I think Dennis Greene has been a very good manager for us under the circumstances. He hasn’t had the budget to put together a squad capable of winning the title, but through a combination of clever scouting and decent contacts he has managed to stitch together teams that not only play entertaining football but can also be a match for anyone in the division on their day. Conversely, we’re also liable to the occasional gubbing from rubbish teams as we just haven’t got the budget for title-winning levels of competition for places. C'est la vie.

It’s not Greene’s fault last season’s team was broken up, and I think it’s very important to remember that. If we’re even half-decent vs Stalybridge, that’s already some achievement. But even if we’re not, there’s no need to be entirely pessimistic. He’s proved on more than one occasion that he knows how to rebuild teams. Is it possible to completely rebuild an entire side in one summer? Not really, and I think the pre-season results (and our alarmingly bad defending from set-pieces!) reflects that. It will take time – just as it did when we dropped out the league nine years ago - but I think he has earned the right to that time.

He has made exasperating mistakes of course, all of which have been raked over ad-nauseum, but placed in context of how he’s repeatedly kept this club towards the upper end of the table, and how much money the club has made from bigger crowds as a result (especially towards the end of the season when dead-rubber matches would lose us tens of thousands), I believe the good stuff outweighs the bad. David Newton certainly thinks so, and when was the last time that guy got anything wrong?!

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
I can’t agree with some of the off-field stuff, but I think Dennis Greene has been a very good manager for us under the circumstances. He hasn’t had the budget to put together a squad capable of winning the title, but through a combination of clever scouting and decent contacts he has managed to stitch together teams that not only play entertaining football but can also be a match for anyone in the division on their day. Conversely, we’re also liable to the occasional gubbing from rubbish teams as we just haven’t got the budget for title-winning levels of competition for places. C'est la vie.

It’s not Greene’s fault last season’s team was broken up, and I think it’s very important to remember that. If we’re even half-decent vs Stalybridge, that’s already some achievement. But even if we’re not, there’s no need to be entirely pessimistic. He’s proved on more than one occasion that he knows how to rebuild teams. Is it possible to completely rebuild an entire side in one summer? Not really, and I think the pre-season results (and our alarmingly bad defending from set-pieces!) reflects that. It will take time – just as it did when we dropped out the league nine years ago - but I think he has earned the right to that time.

He has made exasperating mistakes of course, all of which have been raked over ad-nauseum, but placed in context of how he’s repeatedly kept this club towards the upper end of the table, and how much money the club has made from bigger crowds as a result (especially towards the end of the season when dead-rubber matches would lose us tens of thousands), I believe the good stuff outweighs the bad. David Newton certainly thinks so, and when was the last time that guy got anything wrong?!

agreed
apart from the "off field" comment...that was a long time ago (the housing thing??) and he is an engaged man now :)
if he didnt make the odd mistake he would be at Man U....hold on a minute...Jose got the gig and he messed up at Chelsea
its a funny ole game Saint :)