Author Topic: v Boston Town Tuesday night  (Read 8506 times)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
v Boston Town Tuesday night
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »
big turn out to view new players or wait till Saturday??

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Boston Town Tuesday night
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »
we need a big turnout on both match's

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »
4 nil win.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:18:51 PM »
So who went ?  And what did the players perform like ?

Just reading the Standard online from the other day, and see the following comments made by the gaffer -  "With a goalkeeper we have a complete squad". “It looks like a competitive squad and we’ve got cover for every position now.”

But my question is, do we have cover for the keeper ?? We had this issue on several games last season, and were lucky our keepers at the time never picked up an injury or red card. Very risky in my eyes not to have keeper cover on the bench.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »

Just reading the Standard online from the other day, and see the following comments made by the gaffer -  "With a goalkeeper we have a complete squad". “It looks like a competitive squad and we’ve got cover for every position now.”

But my question is, do we have cover for the keeper ?? We had this issue on several games last season, and were lucky our keepers at the time never picked up an injury or red card. Very risky in my eyes not to have keeper cover on the bench.

I was there and have to say I came away feeling that a good squad has been put together. A very poor playing surface but some very encouraging signs particularly in the first half with St Just looking very impressive, with him and Jay on the wings Colley could really prove a point. Dibble looks the part in goal and although of course this was the first friendly the signs were there. For those who could not make tonight (and the turn out was very good) get down to York street on Saturday when we will be playing against the Posh first team and make up your own mind, my opinion is that it could be another exciting season.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 06:36:07 AM »

I was there and have to say I came away feeling that a good squad has been put together. A very poor playing surface but some very encouraging signs particularly in the first half with St Just looking very impressive, with him and Jay on the wings Colley could really prove a point. Dibble looks the part in goal and although of course this was the first friendly the signs were there. For those who could not make tonight (and the turn out was very good) get down to York street on Saturday when we will be playing against the Posh first team and make up your own mind, my opinion is that it could be another exciting season.

Cheers for the review. On paper the squad looks very competitive, but as the old saying goes, nothing is won on paper.I agree, things do look promising for what i believe will be an even tougher league this season.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »

Most teams don't have a keeper on the bench, however Harry Payne from the U21s was on the bench for us several times last season. He's still with us.

Michael Emery played the second half in goal for us last night.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:29:47 AM by Pilgrim86 »
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

C.B.

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 10:20:32 AM »
Who's this chap Adams who was in the starting line up?
Is it Mo Adams who was with us briefly last year?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:27:42 AM »
Who's this chap Adams who was in the starting line up?
Is it Mo Adams who was with us briefly last year?

Liam Adams, ex-Forest youth but also ex-BUFC Centre of Excellence.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 07:06:01 PM »

Most teams don't have a keeper on the bench, however Harry Payne from the U21s was on the bench for us several times last season. He's still with us.

I would guess that from all of last seasons league opponents, a good 60-70% of them had a keeper on the bench, as this is something that is always a topic on the terraces.  I could be wrong on the figure of course, but i don't think i am that far out.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 07:57:15 PM »
Trend seems to be moving away from having a keeper on the bench - BPA didn't even bother having one in the team.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »

I would guess that from all of last seasons league opponents, a good 60-70% of them had a keeper on the bench, as this is something that is always a topic on the terraces.  I could be wrong on the figure of course, but i don't think i am that far out.

Feel free to go back through the teamsheets to check if you're confident ;)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »
It would be good to have a keeper of Emery,s quality on the books as a standby / competition for goalie spot .

Bannovallum Bill

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »
It would be good to have a keeper of Emery,s quality on the books as a standby / competition for goalie spot .

Emery is a good keeper and I think played a bit for Skegness Town last season following his release from Gainsborough. Would be a reasonable signing for you but may want to play regular first team football?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

Emery is a good keeper and I think played a bit for Skegness Town last season following his release from Gainsborough. Would be a reasonable signing for you but may want to play regular first team football?

He's joining as a coach too (which I believe is also his day job, coaching youngsters), so maybe not expecting to play.