Author Topic: Bostons MP.  (Read 11977 times)

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: Bostons MP.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
This also raises the question of what would happen if or when the Brexit legislation is put before parliament in an attempt to get it voted down.
Would Matt vote as 75% of his constituents would like, ie in favour of the Brexit, or would he join the majority of MPs in voting against?
If its the latter then he probably should consider his position before the situation arises.
Maybe someone on his Twitter feed could ask him, in the interests of openness and transparency.

He'll be frightened to 'rock the boat' and be frightened he won't be considered for another bag-carrying job. He'll support the Party come what may - whatever they tell him to do, he'll do

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »
A bit like Corbyn then, although there's a rumour going around that Corbyn actually voted to leave.
If MPs are not going to represent the views of the majority in their constituency it will be a democratic disaster  leading to civil unrest; effectively a in-in referendum, which will make our country the laughingstock of the democratic world  :'(

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 05:20:15 PM »
Matt will have another decision to make with the election of a new leader coming up .

Boris is a character some like and some despise .  I,M sure Matt will reveal which candidate he,s backing .
Back Boris and he will upset some of his constituents .
NOT back Boris and he will upset a different segment of his constituents .

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 06:18:40 PM »
Stepping back for a moment, the role of a Member of Parliament is to stand for what he believes and what he understands his electorate voted for at the time of his election; i.e. the views expressed in his manifesto. Unlike a trades union delegate, he is not mandated to vote, but votes on his own conscience, normally following the lead of his party.

At times like the present, this may be unpopular with supporters (including me) of a different opinion, but that is the parliamentary system.

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »
Stepping back for a moment, the role of a Member of Parliament is to stand for what he believes and what he understands his electorate voted for at the time of his election; i.e. the views expressed in his manifesto. Unlike a trades union delegate, he is not mandated to vote, but votes on his own conscience, normally following the lead of his party.

At times like the present, this may be unpopular with supporters (including me) of a different opinion, but that is the parliamentary system.

So we may just as well vote for a party and let them decide who represent us? God help us!

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »
So effectively, if it goes to a parliamentary vote, we will have gone through all this for nothing if MPs follow the party line.
Brexit will be voted down.  :'(

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
Remember Mark Simmonds ?

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »
Yes  :dan

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
So does anyone think that we vote for an individual and not the party? In the last election, the Labour candidate had an exemplary record of service to the local community and the Tory was unknown to the area. Unfortunately, in Boston & Skegness constituency, if you stick up a scarecrow and put a blue rosette on it, it will be voted in.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
So does anyone think that we vote for an individual and not the party? In the last election, the Labour candidate had an exemplary record of service to the local community and the Tory was unknown to the area. Unfortunately, in Boston & Skegness constituency, if you stick up a scarecrow and put a blue rosette on it, it will be voted in.

Looking at the make-up of the constituency I find it difficult to understand why that the Blues command such a large majority .    Looking at Matt in the house the last two days I think he looks concerned , don,t think he would fancy a by-election any-time soon .

Extract from a letter I sent to Matt 08/04/2016 .....
"a year ago when you visited me I advised you to steer clear of Shapps , IDS and Cameron,   time for forward looking MPs  to start distancing themselves from the PM "

Slimy Shapps involved in campaign bus scandal was soon moved aside .

IDS saw virtue in the referendum by the fact it gave him opportunity to slip out of the utter mess he made of Works & Pensions .

Matt,s chance of progress now restricted due to backing Cameron to stay in EU.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:26:13 PM by green hats mate »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Matt will have another decision to make with the election of a new leader coming up .

Boris is a character some like and some despise .  I,M sure Matt will reveal which candidate he,s backing .

A bit easier for Matt now that Boris has gone .

Stephen Phillips MP(Sleaford) has quickly come out to back Mrs May ,  will Matt follow ?.

Seems like a well planned plot to stab Boris in the back .
Seems odd that a private email between Grove and his wife (a Daily Mail columnist) got leaked .
Gove stabs Johnson in the back .
The Daily Mail who backed leave and employs Mrs Gove backs Mrs May who was a remainer .

Mrs May known to been leaning towards  Brexit before the referendum,  quietly declaring herself a remainer but all the time during the campaign reminded virtually silent .

Seems like a well worked out scheme which may see Gove standing down for May to walk into the job . A declared remainer who will happily implement Leave proposals .

Matts best bet is to back Teressa May .

Would,nt  trust Gove or Boris to do the job .

I did,nt see a copy of the email between Gove and his wife and don,t want to do .

But,  if anyone can get hold of a copy of an email from Boris to his wife I would be pleased to see it .  :)

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 11:06:04 PM »
What a week of politics! Sometimes you get so spun round it's difficult to know if you're left right or centre!
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

travelling man

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 01:44:43 PM »
Simple solution to solve some of the issues, would be for the bone idle and long term useless of the town, to get off their backsides and look for a job. The mob culture that exists in this section of society, is helped by all of the spare time they have on their hands, waiting for their wages (benefit handouts).

There were always jobs for people going back through the years, cutting veg was always a well paid job, hard work, but well paid. Slowly the benefits dished out became more than a safety net and the rest is history.

As for BREXIT, it does not affect anyone who relies on handouts, as the country always finds a way to help, the only ones it affects are the folks who work their bits off year in, year out.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »

A bit easier for Matt now that Boris has gone .

Stephen Phillips MP(Sleaford) has quickly come out to back Mrs May ,  will Matt follow ?.

Seems like a well planned plot to stab Boris in the back .
Seems odd that a private email between Grove and his wife (a Daily Mail columnist) got leaked .
Gove stabs Johnson in the back .
The Daily Mail who backed leave and employs Mrs Gove backs Mrs May who was a remainer .

Mrs May known to been leaning towards  Brexit before the referendum,  quietly declaring herself a remainer but all the time during the campaign reminded virtually silent .

Seems like a well worked out scheme which may see Gove standing down for May to walk into the job . A declared remainer who will happily implement Leave proposals .

Matts best bet is to back Teressa May .

Would,nt  trust Gove or Boris to do the job .

I did,nt see a copy of the email between Gove and his wife and don,t want to do .

But,  if anyone can get hold of a copy of an email from Boris to his wife I would be pleased to see it .  :)

I wouldn't have a jot of sympathy for Boris - he campaigned for leave purely to further his own career, in the expectation that Remain would prevail but he would be a hero amongst Eurosceptic Tory members and therefore inherit the leadership from Cameron in 2019/2020. After years of economic growth, the deficit eliminated and Corbyn still in charge of Labour he would then win an enormous majority. You could see in his speech last Friday he had no appetite to clear up the mess he has created, and Gove stabbing him in the front tipped him over the edge and made him withdraw. As a remainer, it's grimly satisfying to see his career in tatters as well, but it's a Pyrrhic victory.

Looks like May will take on the poisoned chalice now. She is by far the least bad option, in my view. What I would give for a credible Labour Party led by the elder Miliband...