Author Topic: Todays Legend  (Read 4652 times)

Shodfried

Todays Legend
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
Well done Chalker......another total and utter Legend.

Had the pleasure of speaking to both for a few minutes later on, for those of us who've been going 30+ years both Gerry and Dave Adamson who was also there today would probably always walk into any Utd select XI.

To me they are Utd 'Royalty' like McKenna, Cookie, Bazza and Tex Hardy.

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
Re: Todays Legend
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »
Spot on Andy

MRDBATE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »
Yeah all good, but I would like to see some of the TRUE legends of Boston Utd royalty, for example from the team of the 1972/73 season.  The BEST Utd team ever to grace York St in my opinion. For example JIM SMITH ( PLAYER MANAGER !!!), HOWARD WILKINSON ( ASSISTANT PLAYER MANAGER !!!), DICK BATE !!!! , CLIFF WRIGHT, BOBBY SVARC, MALCOM WHITE, ECT ECT, With the exceptions of BILLY HOWELLS, JIM CONDE who has been already &  JOHN LAKIN  R I P .
Obviously there will some of you on here who cannot remember this GREAT Utd team, you missed a treat ? Forget Arsenals unbeaten run a while ago, This Boston Utd team beat that !!!! in the Northern Premier League that season !

Shodfried

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:14:52 AM »
Different age groups will have different favourites, I started going in 77/8 season so missed that team but did catch the tail end of the great Utd sides of the 70's and for that I'm thankful. But obviously all who you mention deserve 'Legend' status.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
My choice will always be the 56/7 side. Sadly, Ray Middleton and some of the others are long gone, but these were the guys that hooked me on the beautiful game.

Shoddy's Lane in the rain. It's only the winning that keeps me sane. United!

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
Ye ..comparing the 2 CupTies agaianst Derby County
   The earlier 1957 ?  one ..  Derby were on the slide and we had a lot of ex - players who knew them.. but take nothing away from 6-1..
    I would put the  Jan 1974 performance at the Baseball ground as the best BUFC performance in living memory..
      This Derby team DIDNT  particularly  have an off day and remember they came 3rd in the League that season end .. and won it 74 /75 .
      Two legends from that team  would  be Dick Bate .. a school teacher by trade  , and a solid dutiful centre back for the Club .
        And Nigel Simpson who I have mentioned before ..  local lad .. not the tallest .. but kept everything out the might of DCFC could throw at him .
     We had the pleasure of standing behind the goal that game ..

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
Ray Middleton's team beat the team that finished as Third Division champions 6-1 on their own ground. Derby were also the runners-up the season before. This is still a record by a non-league side on a league ground. United then lost 4-0 away to a First Division side who were building toward being the first double winners for 66 years.

Jim Smith's team drew 0-0 with a top First Division club (and recent champions) on their own ground before going down heavily, but with a significant fight.

Everyone can choose which they think is best. Bearing in mind the differences in style between fifties and seventies leagues - my opinion: footballing quality - too close to call, but maybe Smith's by a whisker.
Sheer raw emotion - Middleton's by the view across the fens of the Wembley Towers, and the queue from the station entrance to the Eagle.

One final thought. Let's not forget that there was a team that got us into the league. Whatever the arguments, they had to play the football to do that. For all three teams, I thank Heaven that I lived to see it.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »
  Actually Keith Jobling and Howard Wilkinson were guiding things at the time ..
  Read Ken's excellent article on the  Match ..
    And the  after - match quotes !
      f T

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 02:02:07 AM »
Memory playing tricks. Of course Jim had moved on by then.

The penalty of old age, I fear.