Author Topic: Football nothing to do with supporters.  (Read 1783 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Football nothing to do with supporters.
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:06:57 PM »
It is accepted that  our despicable government will not do anything that adversely effects the rich and powerful and does not give a fig about the rest. It has now blocked plans to allow football fans a stake in their clubs and seats on their boards.
Clive Efford MP proposed the Football Governance ( Supporters Participation ) Bill which would have reserved up to a quarter of seats on clubs boards for elected fans. Official fans organisations which the bill would have recognised in law, Would have been offered a 10 per cent stake in the ownership of their clubs.
Tory sports minister David Evenett rejected the plan saying the Government did not want to legislate on the issue and that he hoped the FA would voluntarily involved fans in its decision making process after a future governance review he says, "Unfortunately the Government are not able to support the Bill and are opposing it".
Mr Efford accused the Government of dragging out previous debates leading to the Bill not being discussed in detail.
Other countries have legislation to ensure fan participation in their football clubs. In Germany football clubs must be majority owned by their supporters by law a by far stricter measure than that proposed in the Bill.
Similar rules apply in Sweden and Argentina while in Spain Barcelona, Atletico Bilbao and Real Madrid are all fan owned.
Like I headed this piece football has nothing to do with supporters particularly at the higher levels. It seems to me that the only time fans can get involved is for a club to go bust and re invented by the fans or set up a new club such as FCUM who may I remind everyone charge £9 tops for a game. 
Please don't get the idea I am having ago at our club, far from it Mr Newton is on record that he would like to in the future hand over the club to supporters. All I am doing is showing that this Government don't give a second thought regarding the fans.  UTP.