Author Topic: playoff chances  (Read 13966 times)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: playoff chances
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »
Form might be poor recently, but where are we still in the league ?  All this doom and gloom huff and puff should be spent vocally next weekend by getting behind the team from 2-55 till the final whistle, and not as we see a lot or recently, moaning at players after a few mins on the clock. Its far to early to say that this is it,  and that we'll stick up the white flag as we cannot make it !

What i will say is that we do look weak once we have a couple of key players out, and that is the difference. Its not that our best starting 11 are poor, its that when one or two are missing we then become weaker so its about a stronger bench i guess. But there it is...down to funds. So unless one or two fans can throw some money at it, we just have to accept that when we lose key players then it becomes harder.  If any of you have the money for another Dayle, please step forward !
agree
Plus Jordan Richards was a big loss..............

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 11:36:33 PM »
I'm with Oxo.... we played well just couldn't get on the end of some decent moves (ewsh always seemed to be in the right place, our strikers aren't doing that now) but as soon as we conceded the writing was on the wall.
2nd half was harder to watch as we predictably resorted to the more direct approach and chances were limited, but we had on squirm just wide and hit the post before they killed it off.
Disappointing but luckily Nuneaton dropped points so we're still in the picture, but need to start getting results.
Don't think Pidge will be available for Ferriby either. Huge miss if true

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 08:09:46 AM »
Next week is the defining game of the season, loose it and bye bye playoffs,win it and it's game on.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
Next week is the defining game of the season, loose it and bye bye playoffs,win it and it's game on.

How can you predict that, without knowing the other scores from next weekend too ? If one or two above us drop points, then regardless of our result we would still be in the mix for another week.  I agree its a massive game, and we need to win it, but its not defining until other results are seen.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 10:58:48 AM »

How can you predict that, without knowing the other scores from next weekend too ? If one or two above us drop points, then regardless of our result we would still be in the mix for another week.  I agree its a massive game, and we need to win it, but its not defining until other results are seen.

I disagree, should we lose, we will have taken 4 points from 21, and not only nuneaton to watch over our shoulders now. Tamworth sneaking into the frame. Only 5th is realistically achievable, but with 2 others in the frame, current form says it won't be us. Defeat next week will cement this.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
There is still an outside chance of the play offs. Last week I wrote how disgusted I was with that inept performance. Today after another long trek I don't feel as peed off why? because the lads who played gave their all ( and that is all I ask) and to be honest deserved something from that game. Today boiled down to getting few decisions going our way and the fact that a couple of players despite putting in a good shift just are not up to the required standard. Without Dale we will always struggle for goals there was plenty of huff and puff up front but but the lad will never blow the house down. Missed Pidge and finding it difficult to find a replacement the lad in defense looks out of his league. Having said that as I said they and the others gave it everything. I honestly feel that had the one that hit the post gone in we could have gone on to win. UTP.

After last week's stuffing by Fylde when we were able to put out a strong team and bench, I didn't have much hope for this week's weaker team.  However, it seems we put up a decent showing and another day could have come back with a point or more.  Just to clarify oxo, who is the lad in defence who looks out of his league?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:01:15 PM by Cavalier »
United we stand..................

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
There is still an outside chance of the play offs. Last week I wrote how disgusted I was with that inept performance. Today after another long trek I don't feel as peed off why? because the lads who played gave their all ( and that is all I ask) and to be honest deserved something from that game. Today boiled down to getting few decisions going our way and the fact that a couple of players despite putting in a good shift just are not up to the required standard. Without Dale we will always struggle for goals there was plenty of huff and puff up front but but the lad will never blow the house down. Missed Pidge and finding it difficult to find a replacement the lad in defense looks out of his league. Having said that as I said they and the others gave it everything. I honestly feel that had the one that hit the post gone in we could have gone on to win. UTP.

After last week's stuffing by Fylde when we were able to put out a strong team and bench, I didn't have much hope for this week's weaker team.  However, it seems we put up a decent showing and another day could have come back with a point or more.  Just to clarify oxo, who is the lad in defence who looks out of his league?

As I said all the lads gave it their best and I was just expressing an opinion about a couple but I feel it would be unfair to name names and start a debate on here as the lads probably read whats on here and we don't need anyone losing their focus, Hope they prove me wrong.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 07:43:40 PM »

I disagree, should we lose, we will have taken 4 points from 21, and not only nuneaton to watch over our shoulders now. Tamworth sneaking into the frame. Only 5th is realistically achievable, but with 2 others in the frame, current form says it won't be us. Defeat next week will cement this.

How can you say it will cement this ???  Even if we did lose, who's to say those around us won't ? If they all won, and we didn't, it still wouldn't "cement " it,  crazy comment to be fair.  That 5th place will go down to the wire, and i believe we shall be in the fight for it still. We need a win soon, that is a cert, but as for next weekend and do or die,  its a bit over dramatic to state its cemented our chances of not gaining that play off spot.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 06:55:15 AM »

Crazy,eh? We'll see. I love your mindless optimism. You can say I told you so at the end of the regular season, but I don't think you will have the opportunity, not this year.

How can you say it will cement this ???  Even if we did lose, who's to say those around us won't ? If they all won, and we didn't, it still wouldn't "cement " it,  crazy comment to be fair.  That 5th place will go down to the wire, and i believe we shall be in the fight for it still. We need a win soon, that is a cert, but as for next weekend and do or die,  its a bit over dramatic to state its cemented our chances of not gaining that play off spot.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 07:19:00 AM »
Just frustrated that a Club/Business that should have walked automatic promotion is now 50-50 to qualify for the final play off spot. We have (or had in the case of Ryan Robbins) the players and the manager to compete the job and together with the best backroom staff in the league and the excitement of a new ground the season after next, it is really hard to take another potential glorious failure season on the chin. We all need to get down to York Street on Saturday and get behind whatever BUFC team takes to the field to grab 3 vital points to keep us with a fighting chance of a play off spot.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
Just frustrated that a Club/Business that should have walked automatic promotion is now 50-50 to qualify for the final play off spot. We have (or had in the case of Ryan Robbins) the players and the manager to compete the job and together with the best backroom staff in the league and the excitement of a new ground the season after next, it is really hard to take another potential glorious failure season on the chin. We all need to get down to York Street on Saturday and get behind whatever BUFC team takes to the field to grab 3 vital points to keep us with a fighting chance of a play off spot.
Agree totally...except for the dilemma that is Ryan Robbins.
Football is a game played with the feet head and heart.
Ryans feet were great...poss difficulties in other two areas ;)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 10:40:47 AM »
Robbins is still a BUFC player allegedly, so if I was in David Newton's place I'd be telling Dennis to get him back pdq, and scholsey too.
It's a results business apparently, so why not strengthen the squad for the run in?
Dixons energy in midfield and Robbins' goals could be the difference if we do make the playoffs

hozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 11:30:50 AM »
I think we have a tough run in and only see us getting 13 points.

Home         North ferriby   draw   1
Home         Brackley Town   win   3
Away         Tamworth                 draw   1
Away         FC United    win   3
Home         BPA                  win   3
Away         Harrogate Town   lose   0
Home         Nuneaton                  draw   1
Away         Stalybridge Celtic   draw   1

that would give us 68 points and that won't be enough. Dont think Saturday is a must win but games against Tamworth and Nuneation possibly are as they are our main rivals for the fifth slot. However beating NFU would be a huge result and would keep them in our sites.
against league 3, an idiots guide to making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
It's time for the players and us the supporters to step up.  I will be there Sat and hope you will be too.
United we stand..................

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
Ryans form at Corby suggests he is not good enough for this league .

Oh for another Jordan Richards !!!