Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 400590 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #630 on: September 27, 2017, 07:22:58 PM »
I've always believed that the in/out choice in the referendum was actually an in/in choice; we would never be allowed to leave as so many big businesses and financial institutions, both in the UK and Europe, stood to lose too much money so it would eventually be voted down by parliament.  Nothing to do with possible job losses, everything to do with appeasing the shareholders.
At one stage it looked like I'd got it wrong and we were actually heading for the exit, but last Friday's speech by May appears to put an end to that.

There is no hard or soft Brexit, we're either in or out.

The Demos voted out.

All the obstacles that the project fear/remainers now throw up were implicit in the question on the referendum paper to any partially sentient human being, nobody expected it to be easy ffs!
If we pull out of negotiations, switch to WTO rules, and get on with it we will survive the fall-out, continue trading with the EU with tariffs, and build up trade with other faster growing economies, putting the UK in a much stronger position.
The country's not going to implode over leaving the EU.
There will be uncertainty, and a certain amount of chaos is unavoidable. The borders will no doubt be chaotic initially, but out of chaos comes order.

We need to get on with it before Barnier and Co, ably assisted by the remainer half of our Cabinet, take their chance to bring the UK to heel and punish us for having the impertinence to exercise our democratic right to vote  :-X

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 27, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »
First point. Nobody voted to be in the EU, because there was no EU when the previous referendum was held. It was to a vote to be a member of an economic community, aka the Common Market, which was supposed to make the movement of goods easier with lower tariffs. I'm still waiting for significantly lower taxes that the government of the time promised if we voted in favour.

Subsequently, our leaders signed a treaty giving away our sovereignty without consulting the people. Unquestionably, this was an act of high treason and the perpetrators would at any other time in history, have been brought to trial and executed.

This is the first and probably the only opportunity for the population to reclaim the lawful rights of the British people. Failure to do this will mean that we will be inevitably drawn deeper into a superstate where we have little or no say in our destiny. All the arguments about compromise are irrelevant. No ifs, no buts to quote a certain culpable politician; we must get out of something we don't believe in. The evidence that we are not part of this pernicious European dream is clear. We have refused to join the Euro. We have refused to commit to the Shengen agreement regarding free movement over boundaries. We have just participated in a pointless exercise to pull back some of the commitments to which we had previously agreed. In other words, we don't believe in the superstate dream and we certainly don't want to immerse ourselves in the idea.

We want our country back and there is only one way to achieve it. The way out may be involved and complicated, depending on which politicians are allowed to stick their oar in, but June 23rd will be a historic day for the nation. If we stay in, it will be the last day for us as a nation.

Fairfax sums it up nicely  8)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:03 PM »
Don't forget that around half the reported £350 million comes back to the UK, so more likely around 11 years.  Some of us may not be around to see the benefits by then!

Id account for it all, as most of what came back we also got told where it had to be spent. Most the time it wasnt in places where we needed it most.

Anyone remember the bridge spend years ago!! Im Yet to see a 56 ton load to go over the new bridge in town which cost millions to do and was dictated by the EU fund that we get discounted.
Frampton reserve 150k investment in a area i think should be left natural anyway. All Dictated by the EU and is a spend forming part of the rebate

Unusual post for this thread , probably the first that quotes FACTS and not opinions based on speculation based on propaganda fed by parties with a vested interests . It fully exposes the lunacy of the Brussels fat cats detachment from the real world .
Can anyone with an insight to Brussels thinking and Boston's transport infrastructure explain where in practice when a 56ton load has crossed over the bridge what commercial premises  can it legally deliver to ?

It must be said that the £150k invested in Frampton reserve will bring much pleasure to the relatively small number of people including Matt Warman MP who frequent the reserve .  Likewise myself I deprive much pleasure several days a week playing a very nice golf course finished to a high standard with the help of EU funding .     Much the same with holiday accommodation ,  many happy days in farm building conversion holiday lets finished to high specification due to generous EU grants made available to the  wealthy farmer .
Sadly I cannot quote any attractive benefits of the EU that the hard working manual worker on low pay has access to .

I think many who voted out did so on the basis that probably some of the figures quoted by both sides were lies and settled for the opportunity to spend the limited amount of money saved on projects decided by our politicians  and not detached fat cats in Brussels .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 27, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »
The recent EU deal with Canada took seven years!

Maybe another good reason for us getting out Martyn .  Pretty sure even our politicians aided in no small measure by our enterprising businesses would slash that timescale .

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
I cant help but think the idea of being dictated to by Europe is quite appealing at the moment. Heck, I'd rather our affairs were ran by Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron than Messrs Corbyn, Mogg or Leadsom...

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 28, 2017, 08:24:38 AM »
I cant help but think the idea of being dictated to by Europe is quite appealing at the moment. Heck, I'd rather our affairs were ran by Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron than Messrs Corbyn, Mogg or Leadsom...

Many find it more appealing the UK being run by politicians with exactly the same motives (self interest) as our European counterparts but guided by enterprising UK business and the profits spent as seen fit by the British and not the feather bedded Europeans .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 28, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »
Why UK exporters are set for a sugar rush .

The UK's sugar beet industry is looking to ramp up production,  as EU quotas come to an end this week after nearly 50 years .
For the first time since 1968 the UK can produce and sell as much sugar around the world as it would like .
Experts predict it could result in lower prices .

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 28, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »
Cheaper candy floss at May Fair?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 28, 2017, 03:48:59 PM »
Cheaper candy floss at May Fair?

Now you are talking silly ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Martyn Bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 28, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »
Nothing is as straight forward as it first seems. Growers are now worried that it means European farmers will also be able to flood our market with their sugar, so the price will fall but the price the farmer gets will also fall.
Apparently this happened when the milk quotas were lifted in 2015, forcing many dairy farmers out of business.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 03, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »
900 people injured in Spain by the police.
Any member state should be immediately suspended if it inflicts harm on its own people according to EU rules  :police:
Too much money involved so Juncker & Co will do nothing  ;)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 16, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
More talk today of a no deal is better than a bad deal.  They seem intent on trying to punish us for leaving.  I wonder what will happen if Spain splits, I can see that being more harmful.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 27, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »
That's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons :o :o   Spain in turmoil.  The EU is a sick patient.  If Madrid send in the National police or god forbid the troops, another civil war could be in the offing.  This is serious.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 02, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »
Slightly off topic on this off topic thread.  I am with EE and all roaming charges in Europe have been dropped. I had cause to ring Ireland on my mobile.  I was charged £9.87 for the call.  I contacted EE and was told the EU charges do not apply to the Uk.  I questioned why?  Surely last time I looked we were part of the EU.  This is the reply " The UK is part of Europe, but not part of the Euro Zone.  This means geographically The UK is part of Europe but trading standards are not the same as European countries thus this difference"   I said what a load of crap.  He said " If I had rang Ireland from France it would have been part of my plan "   Anyway as a gesture of goodwill I had it refunded.

So even thou we are in the EU, we are not.   I rest my case.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 04, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »
Slightly off topic on this off topic thread.  I am with EE and all roaming charges in Europe have been dropped. I had cause to ring Ireland on my mobile.  I was charged £9.87 for the call.  I contacted EE and was told the EU charges do not apply to the Uk.  I questioned why?  Surely last time I looked we were part of the EU.  This is the reply " The UK is part of Europe, but not part of the Euro Zone.  This means geographically The UK is part of Europe but trading standards are not the same as European countries thus this difference"   I said what a load of crap.  He said " If I had rang Ireland from France it would have been part of my plan "   Anyway as a gesture of goodwill I had it refunded.

So even thou we are in the EU, we are not.   I rest my case.

That reply from EE makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. And overly complicated. It's quite simple: it's 50p per minute to call Ireland on a pay monthly plan. Now that roaming charges have been abolished, it would also be 50p a minute from France as part of your plan.
EE are no longer permitted to whack the price up.

Also, roaming charges only applied when you were roaming - hence the name - so what they've got to do with any call you make while in the UK is beyond me.