Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398311 times)

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #615 on: September 01, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
I see the EU put the devorce bill for the UK at 100 billion. They are having a laugh. :-[

Just applying simple arithmetic, 100,000,000,000 divided by the quoted 350,000,000 we send them a week means we'll be better off in about five and a half years? About the same commitment as a car loan? Or have I over simplified it all?

Ghostwriter

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 01, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Don't forget that around half the reported £350 million comes back to the UK, so more likely around 11 years.  Some of us may not be around to see the benefits by then!

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Don't forget that around half the reported £350 million comes back to the UK, so more likely around 11 years.  Some of us may not be around to see the benefits by then!

Id account for it all, as most of what came back we also got told where it had to be spent. Most the time it wasnt in places where we needed it most.

Anyone remember the bridge spend years ago!! Im Yet to see a 56 ton load to go over the new bridge in town which cost millions to do and was dictated by the EU fund that we get discounted.
Frampton reserve 150k investment in a area i think should be left natural anyway. All Dictated by the EU and is a spend forming part of the rebate

John Murphy

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:39 AM »
Still no mention of the Irish boarder crossing >:(

I voted Brexit, I think we are being sold down the line, out surely means out.

I did not vote to come out in five years ( from voting day )  or vote for us to pay more than our fair share to get the fat cats fatter.

May has shafted the British public.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #619 on: September 25, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
Still no mention of the Irish boarder crossing >:(

I voted Brexit, I think we are being sold down the line, out surely means out.

I did not vote to come out in five years ( from voting day )  or vote for us to pay more than our fair share to get the fat cats fatter.

May has shafted the British public.

You sound surprised 😀
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
I am afraid she has got to appease the remoaners.

If you look back over the posts on this thread, it was predicted this would happen. :(
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »
Are you really surprised that organising Brexit - disentangling 40 years of legal and trading integration with a continent of 450m people and then trying to come up with an alternative - is going to involve concessions, compromise, and take a long time? In what world does a 52/48 vote for leave - where the form of 'leave' was left completely undefined on the ballot paper - mean that we should automatically opt for the most extreme harikari version of it imaginable?!

This idea that everything is black or white is symptomatic of why UK politics has become an absolute mess. On one hand you have the Tories being torn apart by fantasist loons and public schoolboys like Rees-Mogg and Boris, who treat running the country as japes and banter for the light amusement of public schoolboys. The opposition to that is a Labour party which has turned itself into a personality cult where some fossil who belongs in the 70s is worshiped by a bunch of ill-informed idealists in a manner that should be confined to student union elections.

For me, the best thing that could happen is the whole thing goes to pot, one or more of the two main parties splits up with a sensible party emerging from the ashes, and - though unpleasant - perhaps we need a short, sharp recession to bring the electorate to its collective senses and let us go back to the politics of compromise and steady progress, rather than deluded grand visions.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:42:54 AM by Adam »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 26, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
I am afraid she has got to appease the remoaners.

If you look back over the posts on this thread, it was predicted this would happen. :(

It's not about 'appeasing' anyone. It's simply May dealing with the actual reality of disentanglement, rather than some weird fantasy that we can cut all ties tomorrow. Unfortunately, no matter how much you may wish to pretend otherwise, Brexit is going to be an extraordinarily complex and hugely expensive task that simply cannot be achieved before the existing deadline. Again, this has been pointed out repeatedly and either completely ignored or dismissed as 'moaning'.

Of course, if you have any practical suggestions as to how we go about replacing all the EU agencies with UK equivalents - not to mention finding several billion quid to construct the vast customs facilities required for our shiny new border - before March 2019, I'm sure we're all ears!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 26, 2017, 12:37:18 PM »
Anyone who thought it was going to be a quick straight  forward process was living in dreamland as is anyone who thinks they can predict an accurate picture of the state of the EU and the UK in five years time .   Even great successful business men disagree so what chance have Patter posters got of predicting the outcome .

Adam .   RE: Mogg and Boris ,  how on earth did you manage to overlook Geo (6 jobs ) Osbourne .
             Recession ?  YES .   Brexit or otherwise the recession will not short and sharp ,  deep and long I fear .

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 27, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
Recessions seem to come and go as regular as clockwork, its a boom and bust economy. 40+ years in the EU doesn't appear to have helped that.
Not long ago we were paying 15 % mortgage rates, negative equity was commonplace, and many had their houses repossessed or just sent the keys back to the lender.

I'm sure we'll see more of that when we go begging to be let back in after the 'Implementation Period'  :-\

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 27, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
'Implementation' rather than 'Transition' without too much detail concerning what is about to be 'implemented'  :o
Many scenarios possible but all the most likely atm leave us as a vassel state of the federal republic of the EU.
If no deal is better than a bad deal we may as well GTFO before the year end.  The EU have already stated that we'll get a bad deal so over the 'cliff-edge' we go before Britannia gets right royally shafted over the Brussels negotiating table  :angel:

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 27, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
It's clearly not that we'll be in a state of permanent recession upon leaving the EU (although a nasty one is clearly possible if a Boris Brexit is implemented), it's more that as we erect barriers between ourselves and the market of 450m of the world's most prosperous people next door, the economy is likely to just grow that little bit slower in perpetuity. There will be investments and developments that just don't happen. Think of a car manufacturer choosing to locate its plant in Slovakia rather than Stevenage because it doesn't want to become embroiled in delays and paperwork at Dover. In a way, we won't 'miss' those things, but they mean that a few thousand people who might have got a promising new job at a high-tech manufacturing plant instead find themselves stuck on the minimum wage. We're talking about the economy maybe growing at eg 1.8% a year rather than 2% - but as anyone who understands compounding interest knows, small differences each year add up to substantial amounts in the long run.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 27, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
If no deal is better than a bad deal we may as well GTFO before the year end.

That's literally impossible unless you think we can construct huge customs processing facilities at every port in the UK within three months, as well as hiring and training thousands of staff to do the processing. And that's just customs. We'd also require a brand new visa system built and tested within five weeks. IT projects of that magnitude typically need about 3-5 years.

Does anyone round here actually even slightly grasp what hard Brexit means?

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 27, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »
It means decades of hardship for the majority.

Martyn Bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 27, 2017, 06:22:49 PM »
The recent EU deal with Canada took seven years!