Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398434 times)

Maxross

• View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #585 on: June 17, 2017, 02:04:06 AM »
It's bloody typical really. You wait 300 years for the worst Prime Minister in history then 2 turn up together!

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2017, 07:02:45 AM »
It's bloody typical really. You wait 300 years for the worst Prime Minister in history then 2 turn up together!
Agreed, May has proven to be a disaster and is now only there as an interim measure.
The Cameron/Osbourne duet caused this situation with their arrogant incompetence.  They then then tried to lie their way out of it with project fear, and they're now sat in the wings taking the p*ss and getting very well paid for it.

Your response also applies to the other parties, since Ed was block-voted in ahead of David Milliband there's been no effective opposition.  David Milliband would have won in 2015 IMO, but is now the forgotten man of British politics.

Clegg and Farron never had a hope in hell...more chance with a Cable/Campbell alliance of the undead  :-\

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 17, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »
Ironic that indirectly the unions got the tory party into power  ,  by backing Ed Milliband to stab his brother in the back ,  which led to a hapless government which opened the door for Cameron and co to take power .

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 17, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
I'd have taken Ed over David any day of the week. What's more, I would have taken him over Cameron and I'd take him over May too. If one thing has been proven it's that Tory promises of providing "strong and stabl" governments and avoiding "coalitions of chaos" have been shown to be comically wide of the mark.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 19, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »
Today's the day let the wheeling and dealing begin.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 21, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
It's amazing how the language around Brexit has changed. It's now almost always purely in the context of damage limitation, with not a peep from any of its proponents about any benefits. Occasionally you get some bluster from Mogg and co about 'it can only be a hard Brexit because soft Brexit would be betraying the will of the people' - but never any actual positive reasons for it. As someone pointed out on Twitter, if Gove or Johnson gave one of their 'this is how great Brexit will be' speeches today, they would look deranged.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 21, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
Yeah. As it stands, hard brexit is totally dead and public opinion is moving away from the idea of it. Obviously this will upset a a fair few people, so it may well be hardline brexiters demanding a vote on the final deal instead of the remain side. Crazy how it has turned around so quickly.

I say 'as it stands' because the political landscape keeps changing every few months, so who knows what the next 18 months will bring. The position of the hardliners hasn't exactly been helped by the defeat of populist nationalism in France, nor the terminal weakening of May's hapless government. Perverse as it may seem, perhaps their best hope of getting that clean break they so desire is a Corbyn-led government. Bonkers.

John Murphy

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 04, 2017, 06:10:12 PM »
I see today that nothing has been decided about the border between Northern Ireland and the South.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 16, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »
I see today that nothing has been decided about the border between Northern Ireland and the South.

What will be stopping EU immigrants entering Ireland, crossing the Border to Northern Ireland.

Our borders will be weak at this point, any undesirables can enter via the back door.

A mockery really.  I visit Ireland on a regular basis and most are against any border control.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 16, 2017, 09:56:07 PM »

What will be stopping EU immigrants entering Ireland, crossing the Border to Northern Ireland.

Our borders will be weak at this point, any undesirables can enter via the back door.

A mockery really.  I visit Ireland on a regular basis and most are against any border control.

Exactly my thoughts on seeing this on the news. We didn't vote for weak borders or poor immigration control. Would love to know how the pathetic government plans of getting net migration figures down to the tens of thousands ( that old broken promise ) when at the same time they want to guarantee all EU citizens currently here the right to stay.  The great betrayal has already started, backed by project fear mark II !

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 17, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
It's not a 'great betrayal' whatsoever. It's simply that Brexit is far more complicated and far harder to implement in reality than you were told by the leave campaign, many of whom live in a delusional fantasyland. The Irish border was always going to be a problem - this was pointed out repeatedly but no-one wanted to hear it.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:27:13 AM by Pete B »

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 17, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »
It's not a 'great betrayal' whatsoever. It's simply that Brexit is far more complicated and far harder to implement in reality than you were told by the leave campaign, many of whom live in a delusional fantasyland. The Irish border was always going to be a problem - this was pointed out repeatedly but no-one wanted to hear it.

Its not the Brexit campaigners that are delusional, its this bunch or remoaner's who just won't accept a democratic result as so many predicted would happen right after the shock election result came in.  Pure and simple, those who voted out knew that an out vote meant leaving the single market and shoring up our borders...both of which the project fear mark II team will ensure will not happen as we wished. I call that being betrayed, and many others do too.  I think we all need to be accepting that remoaners will never accept that they lost in the election, and that will do all they can to dislodge what is supposed to be a democratic result.  Bad losers in my world !!   Bring back Farage  ;D

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 17, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »
So let me get this straight: you want to *impose* a hard border on the people of Ireland to solve YOUR issues with immigration? Wow!

The hard border is - and was - NEVER going to happen. Get over it! More and more of this stuff will come out over the following months and years, so you'd better get used to being disappointed.

And this isn't people trying to 'thwart' the will o'the people. Fact is, people DO respect the referendum. Brexit is happening, but it's just such a hideously complex task that delivering it in the real world - not the world of pipe dreams and fantasies of the Leave campaign - is going to require so many more of these compromises by the end we'll probably wonder what the point was.

Screaming 'betrayal' isn't helpful. Anyway - enjoy it, you've won, you're getting what you wanted!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 17, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
Incidentally, the border is 300+ miles long. There are in the region of 200 road crossings. Have you even the faintest idea how much it would cost the British taxpayer (and believe me, the Republic of Ireland won’t put anything towards it – this is all on us) to create, staff and then maintain this hard border you want to keep immigrants out? A least a billion quid up front. And then hundreds of millions per year thereafter. That’s fewer schools, hospitals, police. Permanently higher taxes. Lower pensions. Is that a price you’re honestly willing to pay? Really?

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »
So let me get this straight: you want to *impose* a hard border on the people of Ireland to solve YOUR issues with immigration? Wow!

The hard border is - and was - NEVER going to happen. Get over it! More and more of this stuff will come out over the following months and years, so you'd better get used to being disappointed.

And this isn't people trying to 'thwart' the will o'the people. Fact is, people DO respect the referendum. Brexit is happening, but it's just such a hideously complex task that delivering it in the real world - not the world of pipe dreams and fantasies of the Leave campaign - is going to require so many more of these compromises by the end we'll probably wonder what the point was.

Screaming 'betrayal' isn't helpful. Anyway - enjoy it, you've won, you're getting what you wanted!

You keep mentioning the fantasies of the leave campaign, but my view is what about all the lies from Cameron which cost him his job and the promise to bring down net migration to the tens of thousands ? Even now, with that weak woman in charge she will still betray us over those figures. This is why i believe we need every angle of border controlled, because i'll tell you now, a weak border with Ireland will aid more migrants coming in through the back door that way.  Had we had a decent pro Brexit PM now, we would be cutting the foreign aid budget, thus funding our own priorities here and certainly looking after our ex servicemen who find themselves abandoned and homeless.  Money well saved in the long term is my honest opinion. Add to that the so called benefits of EU migrants weighed up against the negatives such as 1 in five of the unemployed are currently migrants, 1/3rd of all crimes are committed by migrants and pretty much all of the illegal trading of illicit booze and tobacco are caused by migrants from the EU thus costing the UK Billions in lost revenue per annum then you can surely see we are better off trying to control poor mass immigration and protecting our nation.These Billions saved by cutting the foreign aid budget as well as cutting down on illegal trade would make the few Million per year of which you speak to control Irelands Borders look like a drop in the ocean. I know its not all about immigration, but it was indeed the key subject of the referendum, and Cameron as a say failed to grasp that and then lost his job because of it.  Anyway, i respect your opinion so peace.. we're all BUFC regardless of in nor out.