Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398239 times)

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #495 on: November 08, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »
Isn't it strange that there was no similar vote before Major signed the Maastricht agreement, thereby forcing us into the European Union. So it follows that we are not, and never have been in the EU. Happy days! PS. Can we have our money back?

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 09, 2016, 07:53:55 AM »
Trump wins  :o
Who'd of thought it possible, Brexit and now this in one year!
I wonder if there's going to be calls for a re-run of the vote, or a hard or soft Trump, a half-Trump maybe  :dan :police:

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 09, 2016, 09:50:32 AM »
A £10 double on both outcomes would bring you a nice profit of £8,000. :)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 09, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »

That's about as accurate as the side of the Brexit bus.  At what point were either of them at 28/1, the minimum odds you would need for your outcome?  Unless you're referring to a bet placed about ten years ago?

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 09, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »

That's about as accurate as the side of the Brexit bus.  At what point were either of them at 28/1, the minimum odds you would need for your outcome?  Unless you're referring to a bet placed about ten years ago?

A theoretical £5 treble on Lecicester to win Premier league,
Brexit & Trump (at largest odds available at time) would have paid over
£22 million.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 09, 2016, 10:56:30 AM »
The Obama effect didn't work for Hillary or the Remain campaign.
Seems likely that the UK will now be at the front of the queue for a US trade deal,  TTIP is history, and the prospect of a no-fly zone over Syria, leading to a confrontation with Russia, recedes...interesting times  :police:

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 09, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »

You doubt me Ferret.  Easy maths  Trump was 150/1 before he was nominated and 11/2 was readily available for the UK to leave after the exit polls.  £8,250.  Now whether any of our spineless bookies would take the bet is another thing ;)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 09, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »

A theoretical £5 treble on Lecicester to win Premier league,
Brexit & Trump (at largest odds available at time) would have paid over
£22 million.

We missed that treble Qwerty  ;)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 09, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »

You doubt me Ferret.  Easy maths  Trump was 150/1 before he was nominated and 11/2 was readily available for the UK to leave after the exit polls.  £8,250.  Now whether any of our spineless bookies would take the bet is another thing ;)

But were they available at the same time? That's the idea of a double/treble bet..
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 09, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
I imagine at the time Trump was 150/1 Brexit was a lively outsider too.

So yeah.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 09, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »
Isn't it strange that there was no similar vote before Major signed the Maastricht agreement, thereby forcing us into the European Union. So it follows that we are not, and never have been in the EU. Happy days! PS. Can we have our money back?

Ha, I'm sorry, but that's simply not true is it? The Maastricht Treaty spent months going through Parliament.  Some background reading here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_vote_of_confidence_in_the_government_of_John_Major

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 09, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
The judicial ruling is that parliament must give its assent before Article 50 exit may be started. Although much hot air was expended on Maastricht, the formal discussions were opened by a government that had not at that time the authority of a parliamentary vote to back its action. The discussions commenced under the imposition of the Royal Prerogative which it is now ruled insufficient. Remember that the judgement is about the act of formally starting discussions, not the outcome. I stick by my assertion that by the present ruling we are not legally within the EU.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 12, 2017, 01:09:47 PM »
A year is such a short time in politics !!!  . Only three weeks to go to the 1st year anniversary of this thread .      Lots of hot air in parliament lately but nothing on this thread .    Whats the main Brexit players been up to ?

Gather from another tread this morning  that the instigator of this thread has just returned from a long trip abroad ,   what have you been up to Dipdodah ? ,  supporting Trump ?,  meeting Putin ?  helping Mrs May on Brexit ?   or trying to sign Messi for the Pilgims .?

Now back home you will soon be confronted with the hardships encountered by us working class OAPs , 
Energy bills up by £13 a month !   Pensioners being ripped of by insurance companies with car insurance price hikes ,  big council tax increases (unless you live in Surry ).   fuel prices rising .
Lets not forget the cuts ,  checked your interest rate cut on your hard earned savings lately ?

A few observations on the big vote last week . ,   sadly Nic Boles MP for Grantham is fighting cancer ,  bravely he insisted on leaving his hospital bed to go to Westminster to vote .   On the other hand Geo Osbourne a leading player in the referendum campaign did not vote ,  instead Geo nipped over to Antwerp to make what would be a lucrative speech , shameful !!!!  .  A chip off the Dodgy Dave shoulder.
Now Jeremy,s aid Diane Abbott also failed to vote claiming to have an headache ,  now come on Di shame on you for not making the effort ,   did,nt Jeremy remind you of the good old days together ,   "take a asprin and lay on your back and think of England "

Brexit has been a great distraction ,with the media and public taking their eye of the ball , the Government has used it as they use a "bad news day "  i.e . quietly slip in  cuts / changes that the public will not notice for a time . With the parliamentary recess coming up many MPs who will be looking forward to the break may be in for a shock .   I for one will be knocking at my MPs office door 9.00am tomorrow .

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 17, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
Blair says all remainers must try to convince their leave friends that they have made a mistake ??? ???.  If a mistake has been made and the people have voted wrongly, what difference does telling them make?  Or is Mr Blair trying to distract mounting pressure on him re Iraq?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 17, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
I think Tony Blair advocating to stay in the EU will convince those who voted out that they made the right decision .

How did things work out in Iraq ?
How did you do as a middle east peace maker Tony ?