Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398225 times)

qwerty

• View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #405 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »
Well after all the doom and gloom of Brexit yesterday's FT index finished on an eleven month high.  Explain that ???

Because 'Helicopter Money' is coming.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 12, 2016, 12:25:54 PM »
Well after all the doom and gloom of Brexit yesterday's FT index finished on an eleven month high.  Explain that ???

Do I get any? ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »

Do I get any? ;)

I guess it'll be distributed as a tax rebate to everybody at first. It'll be happening in Japan before the end of the year, we'll only be a year or so behind. While this as nothing to do with Brexit, it's the reason the stock market is rising.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 14, 2016, 11:19:59 PM »
I'm beginning to like our new PM.  She's only been in the job a few hours and she's already got rid of DECC and set up the holy Brexit Trinity of Davies, Fox, and Boris, as well as sacking Osbourne and Gove...a decent start  :police:

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 15, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »
I'm beginning to like our new PM.  She's only been in the job a few hours and she's already got rid of DECC and set up the holy Brexit Trinity of Davies, Fox, and Boris, as well as sacking Osbourne and Gove...a decent start  :police:

Too much like Thatcher for my liking, but let's give her a chance, she is making all the right noises. ;D

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 24, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
Got to feel sorry for all the families stuck in traffic trying to get to France.

French Border control stopping and searching most cars.

Is this a sign of things to come?  I know the same happens between Spain and Gibraltar and that is with an open border policy.

Or is it a knee jerk reaction to what's happened in Nice and Germany?

But stuck on a motorway for nearly two days with a couple of kids in sweltering heat does not sound like fun to me.

Play safe and holiday at Skeg, I say. :bunny

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 05, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
I see the base rate is now 0.25%.

Economy is slowing down post Brexit,

Waiting now for qwerty's helicopter money ;)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 25, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
Pre Brexit vote REMAIN prediction, Sky high unemployment, Shares on London stock exchange CRASH, The pound, massive devaluation against major currencies. Sky high inflation and companies leaving Britain in droves.

Two months further on, in reality:

Unemployment at it's lowest level in 8 years.

Shares at their highest level in 18 months.

The Pound down, but only 10% against the Euro ( meaning cheaper and more competitive exports )

Inflation at 0.26% ( Sky high ? )

Name a major Company that has left GB?

Now we want to stop pussy footing about, and follow the peoples directive and LEAVE.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »
Was facing redundancy (oil and gas industry) now confirmed as orders are moved to other plants in the EU, South America and Asia (along with approx. 500 other engineers in Leeds).

All other internal roles were moved the day after the vote to non-UK locations as there is no certainty of what the economic, trade and working relationships will be with the other global locations.  So immediately removing options to stay with the business without overseas relocation.  I also know of this happening with a friends company so not an isolated case.

Since the start of the year I've been looking at external roles, I can tell you with certainty (and is backed up more widely - http://goo.gl/tc2sVn) that there are significantly less roles available to me to apply.

The significant increase in racist and xenophobic abuse/attacks (http://goo.gl/h3mASF) is a direct consequence of the vote which had empowered those with hate to act.  I've witnessed two incidents on public transport since the vote, never seen one prior.

The building trade is even more on its arse as a direct reflection of the uncertainty (http://goo.gl/lC5pZo) pushing house prices up and meaning those of us lucky enough to be on the ladder have in effect put two fingers up to those not able to afford it and probably never will.

On the other hand this £350m for the NHS has been well spent so far, likewise the right wing government now in place has already put through an increase in the maximum tuition fees (so again two fingers to the youth, we are all right jack!) along with plans to abolish the Human Right Act applying to the UK (http://goo.gl/cIyZin)! 

I'd say we are in a worse position, I'd also say bring on the shit storm that will be post-Article 50 and the increase in food/energy/transport costs as we move to WTO rules because we won't get our way (as was always said!) with membership to the EEC and 'control' immigration. (http://goo.gl/4TpdHx)

I'm fecked right off with the resignation of those who should be holding Leave promoters to account, I'm fecked right off with the 'you can't blame Brexit' rubbish from the same people that blame getting a runny nose on the EU, I'm fecked right off that my kids will have LESS choice and opportunity in the world than I did to work/live as they grow up and I'm proper fecked off with the seeming collapse of any competent political system.

So yeah two months on, not a lot, much more to come so let's rub our hands with glee as we have TAKEN BACK CONTROL!

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
Quote from: Dipdodah link=topic=6248.msg88865#msg88865

Now we want to stop pussy footing about, and follow the peoples directive and LEAVE.
[/quote

Seconded, GTFO!  :dan

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »
I'm fecked right off with the resignation of those who should be holding Leave promoters to account, I'm fecked right off with the 'you can't blame Brexit' rubbish from the same people that blame getting a runny nose on the EU, I'm fecked right off that my kids will have LESS choice and opportunity in the world than I did to work/live as they grow up and I'm proper fecked off with the seeming collapse of any competent political system.

I appreciate your worries MNH and being made redundant is never good.
I worked for a Queens award to industry for export a few years ago...when I got made redundant.
We were in Common Market then.
we have to ask ourselves is "how much longer could we support a collapsing regime"?
Spain, Ireland, Greece and France now with severe fiscal problems.
How can nations become effectively bankrupt.
The answer has been "quantative easing" ...basically lets print more money and use it to paper over the cracks
Even those on the left and right in France are saying what a brave and correct choice we made.
as for kids having choice....what choice do we have who is in the commission/parliament?
I fear your kids would have even less.....
As for competent political system....hmmm ;)

I do hope you find employment sooner rather than later.
Apparently employment now is higher than pre brexit...winners and losers in all political decisions..

As for racial abuse ..terrible....just losers who feel they have a voice.
Tbh this has been my only downside of it all

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
we have to ask ourselves is "how much longer could we support a collapsing regime"?

No we don't, we have to ask ourselves why we have done something to ourselves with no plan of what to do next. There is no plan. At all.  Which is the single reason for the economic and trade problems we now face, it's farcical and frightening. But yeah let's just tut at a bit of abuse and crack on with all this 'control' we now have. Great work everyone.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 27, 2016, 10:08:14 AM »

Do you have even the remotest idea how long and how complicated the job of leaving the EU actually is?

Also, do you know what you mean by 'leave'? There are many different interpretations. What's yours? Hard Brexit? Soft? What trade deal do you want? Free movement controls? Financial passporting?

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 27, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »

A50 to be signed in the first quarter of 2017 according to the Guardian.  Theresa May just wants to get on with it apparently as ' Brexit means Brexit,'  8)
If the plan is good enough for the new PM then its good enough for me.
Cameron had no plan and arrogantly assumed he could frighten us into his way of thinking.  He even instructed the Civil Service not to plan for Brexit. Gross negligence and professional negligence from someone in charge of a country.
Him and Osbourne should be banged up in the Tower instead of relaxing on a beach somewhere working out what honours to bestow upon their entourage of obsequious klingons  :dan

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
I suppose the crime of 'asleep in charge of a country' carries no penalty for an ex- Etonian Tory boy.  Problem is that there is no credible opposition at the moment, so May could go to the country with a watered down version of Brexit and get it through.
I'll only believe we are leaving the EU when we are actually out, and the sooner the better IMO  :police: