Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 400684 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #315 on: June 25, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »
I think the EU are right (never thought I'd say that), we should get on with the process, invoke Article 50 and GTFO.
If we hang about until October we will lose momentum.
The Remain side have been stressy right from the start and that has been reflected on Patter by some of the posts. Its now degenerated further with some very sour grapes countrywide, so the sooner a new PM is appointed the better  :police:

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
Boris seemed strangely subdued at the Vote Leave press conference earlier. It's almost as if he didn't actually expect Brexit to happen and only chose to campaign for it for the sake of him becoming PM one day. Perhaps October, with the UK on the edge of breaking up and the economy paralysed by uncertainty is not exactly what he had in mind...

Also, we're probably going to need to make some cuts. I damn well hope they start with the state pension.

Vindictive non democratic prat.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »
The stuff about sour grapes is interesting. When the polls suggested a remain win on the day, several leave campaigners, from the Tories and UKIP, and including Nigel Farage came out and said that they "wouldn't accept a result below 60% for remain". So I think we'd be having exactly the same argument with the roles reversed if remain had won. It was incredibly tight over all.

Nearly half the population voted to remain so it's simply not that clear cut. I think anyone who voted leave should be happy to have won, but maybe imagine how they might be feeling if the roles had been reversed. Lots of people had huge doubts over the case to leave and lots of people feel agrieved by the downright lies told by the leave campaign. Maybe if they'd fought a fair fight (this applies to both sides) there would be less acrimony. But they didn't and our prime minister in waiting, and his likely deputy, have set a very low water mark when it comes to trust. We're all going to be governed by these people so I think it's something we should al be worrying about.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
Boris seemed strangely subdued at the Vote Leave press conference earlier. It's almost as if he didn't actually expect Brexit to happen and only chose to campaign for it for the sake of him becoming PM one day. Perhaps October, with the UK on the edge of breaking up and the economy paralysed by uncertainty is not exactly what he had in mind...

Also, we're probably going to need to make some cuts. I damn well hope they start with the state pension.

Vindictive non democratic prat.

I'm not even sure whether to take it as an insult Mel - as Churchill once said, the best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. The words have never rang truer than they have in the last couple of days...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:57:57 PM by Adam »

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
Statistics are being bandied about on the breakdown of the vote re age groups.
I can't recall seeing an age thing on my slip.
No, but the government know who voted for what, and they have your date of birth!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »

They can only take polls ...thee us no hard evidence
No, but the government know who voted for what, and they have your date of birth!

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2016, 04:47:42 PM »
Parliament are to debate a second referendum apparently, one is enough I think.
They can also vote down the result of the one we've just held, a nightmare scenario if ever there was one  :police:

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2016, 06:50:28 PM »
The Remain side have been stressy right from the start and that has been reflected on Patter by some of the posts. Its now degenerated further with some very sour grapes countrywide, so the sooner a new PM is appointed the better  :police:

It's not sour grapes at all. It's exasperation that a lot of leave voters - not all, and I have to say that with a couple of exceptions the debate here has been of a markedly more informed level than many places - had no idea what they were actually voting for and didn't want to listen to anyone who tried explaining it. And now some of what remain said would happen is actually happening, they are starting to regret their choice. Some of the absolute dogpoo I've seen dribbled over Facebook and Twitter the last 24 hours would be hilarious if it didn't have such profound and lasting consequences. Ignorance is no excuse.

The fact that Leave are now pursuing a Norway style deal is also unbelievable. There will be riots when people figure out what the consequences of this are, and they've been played for idiots. This is why Boris looks so despondent; he's been left in the poo by Cameron, and he knows it.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
Truth is i fear a re vote will completly send the markets and pound into meltdown, The reaction yesterday morning showed the market dont like new things facing them, the fact it finished up on a 7 day  line showed that once the market had settled into knowing the choice was made and the BOE was ready for it then it becomes buisness as normal.

We look at ages etc and see the young voted in but the older range voted out but lets not forget the some of them was around when it was the common market and not a dictatorship and made it clear in there votes that there life before was better than under just a UK goverment than a EU Goverment.

The voting map shows no suprises in the way it went, most out votes came from places high on migration, void of investment,High crime rate per a head,low health per a head and most rules and reg made by the EU do not fit them areas where as most in votes came from areas of high EU investment, mostly good wealth and health.

I voted out but would have prefered to be in but felt the EU cash cow and current Goverment can't see outside its cities and as we hear today our relationship with brussels wasnt as good as it was made out to be so i just couldnt see any changes in this

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »

Am I missing something here as I don't recall a space on my voting form for people to write their names and ages.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2016, 07:18:47 PM »
Truth is i fear a re vote will completly send the markets and pound into meltdown, The reaction yesterday morning showed the market dont like new things facing them, the fact it finished up on a 7 day  line showed that once the market had settled into knowing the choice was made and the BOE was ready for it then it becomes buisness as normal.

To be honest, there's little point trying to read into the markets on an intra-day reaction basis in any case (though there will no doubt be plenty of roller coaster days to come). The effects are more likely to show through a prolonged stagnation/gradual fall, when the counter factual would have been a strong and growing economy. We probably won't know what the 'real' value of sterling would be, because I'm not sure the Bank of England will let it be known how much of its reserves it will use to support the pound.

But the effects on the economy will be very real. It's 2016: people have jobs working for firms which have offices in the UK and Europe. Working fluidly across the offices - having teams comprised of people in London and Brussels - providing services to clients in Copenhagen - is part of their culture. These companies are in complete shellshock, because that business model might just cease to be a possibility very soon. People don't realise - or don't care - how intertwined our economy is with Europe. Or many just don't care - but that is perhaps even sadder, because such people tend to be those who recessions hit in the harshest way.

The only way to avoid real damage is if we stay a member of the EEA. On one hand, I'd be happy with it - because it avoids trashing the country completely (we might even cling on to Scotland), but on another it is desperately sad, as we will have achieved precisely nothing other than a downgrading of our current membership status and a lessening of our status in the world. It would send leave voters and Nigel Farage utterly apoplectic, which is both a hilarious and scary prospect (scary because it risks violence).

Incidentally, has anyone got any idea how the feck we're actually going to enact this - given the enormous pro-Remain majority in the House of Commons? If Labour can manage to get rid of Corbyn and replace him with a vaguely animate human being, it's easy to see a coalition of them, the Lib Dems and the SNP being formed after a General Election. A year ago, I hated the prospect of such a coalition, but I'd give an awful lot for it now.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »

Am I missing something here as I don't recall a space on my voting form for people to write their names and ages.

When I voted, they noted down a reference number against my name/address. I presumed this would be to cross-reference for statistics.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2016, 08:55:27 PM »
Secondly, apparently young people are moaning that older people have "taken their future"
I ask them "would you want to walk through a minefield first or second"?
We've been through it....

I admit to being a bloody liability to the younger generation , I,m 75 years of age paid my taxes and rates/ council tax etc which of much has gone to building roads ,hospitals etc for the old and young .    During part of my working life I met hundreds of   Bostonian  OAP,s on a regular basis .  I addressed these OAPs with respect whether is was a retired  refuge collector ,retired businessman, doctor or even retired authors and the  inflicted such as war veterans .
In return they enriched my knowledge by passing on many lessons they had learned in life ,  much of it more useful than some of the stuff taught at some education establishments .   Dignity tolerance and respect to others was the stand out tips .
In recent months when speaking to local OAPs,  they like myself  put the future of their children/ grandchildren first and foremost when considering which way to vote .  They said it would mean voting out .    Like in my experience stated above these OAPs come from a good cross section of professions , clinicians , business and mainly skilled workers .

Little doubt that they grey vote made a big contribution at Boston ,  maybe someone (maybe Adam) can explain why us present day oldies got it all  wrong and those only just entering adulthood seem to know the answers to a very complex emerging part our history , a subject even the experts disagree on .   

If there was  another referendum what action could be taken to get the correct outcome .

1 .  Ban the over 60s voting

2    Declare the negative vote the winner .      i.e .   in  52out    48 stay vote,  declare the 48 vote the winner .
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:58:53 PM by green hats mate »

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »

When I voted, they noted down a reference number against my name/address. I presumed this would be to cross-reference for statistics.

In time I'm sure the government could work out who voted for what. But to do that, someone would need to input 34 million records into a spreadsheet before the data could be analysed meaningfully. That would be physically impossible in the time we've had since the referendum took place. Therefore any stats analysing votes by age must be questionable.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2016, 09:24:17 PM »

In time I'm sure the government could work out who voted for what. But to do that, someone would need to input 34 million records into a spreadsheet before the data could be analysed meaningfully. That would be physically impossible in the time we've had since the referendum took place. Therefore any stats analysing votes by age must be questionable.

I'm pretty sure the age demographics came from the yougov poll taken on the day.