Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398334 times)

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »
It's out for me. Last chance for the British people to save their nation before the inevitable United States of Europe rules officially with the eradication of our British values and a distortion of history. Can see very dark times ahead for the next generations - but can they see it too?
Wise words BB

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »
Documents have been leaked which confirm that the NHS will be sold off/privatised when the TTIP deal is finally agreed.
Greenpeace Netherlands revealed these Brussels documents - Dodgy Dave was hoping this would not get out until after the vote.
If we stay in it seems inevitable that eventually this deal will be agreed,  so it is now a straightforward choice between keeping our NHS or staying in the EU  :police:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:53:14 PM by Ed Kandi »

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »
Documents have been leaked which confirm that the NHS will be sold off/privatised when the TTIP deal is finally agreed.
Greenpeace Netherlands revealed these Brussels documents - Dodgy Dave was hoping this would not get out until after the vote.
If we stay in it seems inevitable that eventually this deal will be agreed,  so it is now a straightforward choice between keeping our NHS or staying in the EU  :police:

I think it's a piece of willful self delusion if you consider the EU as the greatest threat to the NHS and the Brexit crowd as some kind of saviours. We're talking of individuals such as Ian Duncan Smith, Michael Gove, Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, all of whom have long term form when it come to free market economics and decreasing the role of state. You are right to be concerned about TTIP, but I would have thought that anything the Brexit crowd cook up in its place in negotiations with the Americans, will be far more detrimental to anything state run.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:06 AM »
Which ever way we look at it, the NHS is in shambles.  Too many health tourists, an ageing population and a shortage of medical staff.

It needs an injection of cash, some of the millions we give away to the EU would help.

Last November I had an ECG at my local doctors, this showed a problem.  I had 24 hour monitoring via the Pilgrim in March.  I got my results back last week and am being referred to Lincoln cardiac dept, with an estimated waiting time of 4 months.  On my working out that is nearly a year before they can even tell me what the problem is.  VOTE OUT.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »
Cameron recently stated  "the NHS is completely protected in the TTIP deal, and to say otherwise is the reddest of red herrings".
Well the leaked Brussels papers prove that Cameron has lied to the British public once again.
These papers make it clear that TTIP presents an existential threat to our NHS.
It would now appear to be a matter of fact that if we vote to remain we will end up in TTIP and then it is just a matter of time before we lose the NHS.
No self-delusion required, just a look at certain papers that dodgy Dave didn't want the British public to see  :police:

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
Immigration? Speak to a red squirrel
Trade? We import more than we export....
Security? We are in NATO and Interpol...whether we're in or out of Europe.
Travel?.....have to show passport on leaving or returning to uk ...that won't change.

I was at an event yesterday that finished by singing Land of Hope and Glory.
(Not some right wing EDL nonsense event but a dance showcase!....bit of a Last night of the Proms affair)
Look up the words....
If you like them vote out...
If you want to be without Hope or Glory vote in.
This is FAR more important than a general election.....

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »
Which ever way we look at it, the NHS is in shambles.  Too many health tourists, an ageing population and a shortage of medical staff.

It needs an injection of cash, some of the millions we give away to the EU would help.

Last November I had an ECG at my local doctors, this showed a problem.  I had 24 hour monitoring via the Pilgrim in March.  I got my results back last week and am being referred to Lincoln cardiac dept, with an estimated waiting time of 4 months.  On my working out that is nearly a year before they can even tell me what the problem is.  VOTE OUT.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear you've been unwell and I hope whatever the problem it gets sorted out.  I’d start out by totally agreeing with you that the NHS is currently a shambles, it's gotten to the stage where I worry about me or my family getting ill.  However, I think you are giving a serious free pass to its mismanagement at government level over the past 6 years 

The NHS has suffered a massive funding crisis over the past 6 years.  This is under the stewardship of a conservative government which contains many of the people now trying to claim to be its saviours. Ian Duncan Smith and Michael Gove have been major players throughout that time. Are we now supposed to believe they have had a complete change of opinion?  We also currently have a health secretary who previously co-authored a book on how to privatise the health service.

Is TTIP is a threat to the NHS being privatised?  Absolutely.  Are Ian Duncan Smith, Michael Gove, Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage going to be its saviours? That concept is laughable.

If you want to see what a privatised health service really looks like by the way, look across at the American system.  Obviously there are massive inequalities as you have to pay for health insurance. Your income defines how much you can afford to spend on insurance and therefore your care is effected accordingly.  The thing that many people don’t realise though, is that it's also one of the most inefficient systems in the world. Care costs much more per head than the NHS which is a shocking fact to some since competition and privatisation is supposed to bring the price down. 

The NHS is actually relatively efficient in terms of the cost of care, our great problem is that it has been chronically underfunded, especially for the past 6 years.  You are absolutely correct about the additional problems facing the NHS, but the decisions taken by the last two governments have only exacerbated things.  It’s a fairly simple equation really, if we want a decent health care system, we need to be prepared to pay for it.

To get back to the main point though, the truth is that this sudden feigned concern for the NHS is an excellent piece of subterfuge by the exit side.   If they win they won’t spend more on the NHS or stop it being privatised, it’s more likely they will do the complete opposite.  This has been the biggest problem with the whole debate so far, both sides have lied and twisted the truth to suit their agenda.  There is so much misinformation out there it’s unreal so it requires critical thinking to work out what to base your opinions on. 

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
The Leave campaign have stated that money saved from our weekly EU contribution will be spent on the NHS, it is printed in 3 foot high letters on the side of the battlebus so it would be nigh on impossible to renege on that promise.

Most of the misinformation has been from the Remain side over the economy.  They've teed-up a list of economists to produce forecasts of gloom and doom covering twenty years or more after a Brexit, and yet if you look back it becomes clear that historically these so called experts have been unable to accurately predict anything regarding economics over even a six month period let alone ten to twenty years - just another stitch up by the dave and george media manipulation machine  :police:

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2016, 12:24:44 PM »
The Leave campaign have stated that money saved from our weekly EU contribution will be spent on the NHS, it is printed in 3 foot high letters on the side of the battlebus so it would be nigh on impossible to renege on that promise.

Most of the misinformation has been from the Remain side over the economy.  They've teed-up a list of economists to produce forecasts of gloom and doom covering twenty years or more after a Brexit, and yet if you look back it becomes clear that historically these so called experts have been unable to accurately predict anything regarding economics over even a six month period let alone ten to twenty years - just another stitch up by the dave and george media manipulation machine  :police:

Re the Remain camp, I agree, they've made plenty of dubious claims, as someone who's pro remain, Cameron has done more to pursuade me to change my mind and vote out than any of the Out campaigners! People often mistake economics for a science when it is anything but. However, I think you are being incredibly blinkered if you think that remain are the only ones telling porkies. As an example, you quote that they will spend the money saved from EU contributions to reinvest in the NHS. That figure itself is highly dubious and the figure used by Gove, Johnson etc has even been disowned by Farage. I'd say it's nigh on impossible for you to quantify how much we make or lose from our EU contribution because there are many unquantifiable benefits to being in the EU and common market currently.

So both sides are lying and basically voting out is a jump into the unknown. It could be a huge success to exit, or it could be an utter disaster. It could be that it's about the same. My personal feeling is that whatever happens, we are going to need to continue to trade with the EU and therefore will have to continue to adhere to EU regulations. With that in mind, I'd sooner remain and have an opportunity to mould the conditions than to be on the outside. With a seat at the table we retain some control and the opportunity to press for reform the policies we don't like.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:30:12 PM by Maxross »

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
The truth is we are little more than an onlooker anyway. 

We have not embraced fully the concept of an united Europe.

We are about the only country in the EU where we have to show a passport( I am in agreement with this )

We are not a part of the Euro ( I am in agreement with this )

We are on the outside looking in on an exclusive club.

On most votes we only have the power of veto.

A bit like the Eurovision song contest :D

Let's get out and be done with it, and be in control of our own future.  Even if it is with Dodgey Dave or  Corbyn the red.

Lady GaGa

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »
I am completely with Maxross with on the NHS  but would go further to say the demise began in the Thatcher years. Having been an NHS employee from the early 70's have witnessed many changes including some of the last 6 years before retiring. The increasing pressure to perform efficiently with a continuing raise in expectations from both management and the public whilst increasingly working with less resources is totally demoralising and to some extent demotivating. I personally feel they are all heroes for sticking with it!! I also agree most definitely with the need for an increase in funding and am sure virtually every taxpayer in the Uk would be happy to contribute extra tax to meet the need.
Referring to the US comparison, earlier this year had a couple of Americans staying who needed to avail themselves of our NHS one with a GP visit and the other to our Pilgrim A&E both were more than well satisfied with the care they received, particularly the one who visited A&E, after a thorough examination investigations advice,reassurance and a prescription, which gave him the peace of mind he was able to continue his trip. He was gobsmacked that it was free at source.
With regards to the 3 foot high letters one of the promoters has already admitted in recent days during a TV interview that not all of the money would  go straight to the NHS!!!

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »

We are about the only country in the EU where we have to show a passport( I am in agreement with this )

Let's get out and be done with it, and be in control of our own future.  Even if it is with Dodgey Dave or  Corbyn the red.

The problem is, we can't be "out and done with it" because lots of our trade is inextricably linked with the EU in both directions. Like it or not, we will still have to trade within the common market and we will still be subjected to EU regulations. To go a little further, I can't image the EU will want to show us to be doing better for leaving so they will no doubt drive a hard bargain if we wish to continue trading with them to disuade any other nations doing the same thing. They will do this because the very existence of the EU depends on it. As it stands, as you pointed out, we have a veto. We won't have that if we leave.

Lady Gaga, I applaud you as I do all other NHS workers who are doing an incredible job in extremely challenging circumstances. I think the cat is out of the bag now that the market deregulation begun in the late 70's has been vastly damaging and caused massive inequality. With regards the US, a friend of mine suffered a punctured lung when a local nut stabbed him. He was in hospital for 4 days during a visit over there and was slapped with a bill of £$23,000 which his insurance company refused to pay out on. At one point they took his passport and said he wouldn't get it back unless he paid up!

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »

The problem is, we can't be "out and done with it" because lots of our trade is inextricably linked with the EU in both directions. Like it or not, we will still have to trade within the common market and we will still be subjected to EU regulations. To go a little further, I can't image the EU will want to show us to be doing better for leaving so they will no doubt drive a hard bargain if we wish to continue trading with them to disuade any other nations doing the same thing. They will do this because the very existence of the EU depends on it. As it stands, as you pointed out, we have a veto. We won't have that if we leave.

Lady Gaga, I applaud you as I do all other NHS workers who are doing an incredible job in extremely challenging circumstances. I think the cat is out of the bag now that the market deregulation begun in the late 70's has been vastly damaging and caused massive inequality. With regards the US, a friend of mine suffered a punctured lung when a local nut stabbed him. He was in hospital for 4 days during a visit over there and was slapped with a bill of £$23,000 which his insurance company refused to pay out on. At one point they took his passport and said he wouldn't get it back unless he paid up!

Thatcher, was heralded as one of Britain's greatest Prime Ministers.

When you look back at the things that went on under her tenure ( Savile, Hillsborough, Cosgrove, Belgrano, mass privatisation, the Poll tax, mortgage rates 15%, the selling off to her cronies of Bt, British Gas, British rail and the Cyril Smith cover up ) yet people still yearn for her policies. >:(

I think it was Claire Raynor's last words " Do not let them mess up my beloved NHS "

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »

Thatcher, was heralded as one of Britain's greatest Prime Ministers.

When you look back at the things that went on under her tenure ( Savile, Hillsborough, Cosgrove, Belgrano, mass privatisation, the Poll tax, mortgage rates 15%, the selling off to her cronies of Bt, British Gas, British rail and the Cyril Smith cover up ) yet people still yearn for her policies. >:(

I think it was Claire Raynor's last words " Do not let them mess up my beloved NHS "

Yes, the NHS is definitely something worth fighting for and something that should be kept out of private hands at all costs.  As soon as profit becomes a consideration in the administration of care, huge conflicts of interest will become apparent. i don't think Brexit is what will save the NHS though. There are plenty of examples on the continent of industry's that remain in government hands. When David Cameron was negotiating his terms with the EU, TTIP and the EU weren't mentioned at all and there have been no serious attempts by our present government to exempt the NHS from the agreement. As IDS, Gove, Johnson etc are all to the right of Cameron, I highly doubt they will make any extra effort than has already been made.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »
There is now very little doubt that if we remain in the EU then the NHS as we know it will eventually cease to exist.
Also, if we remain in the EU, with no control over who enters our country, before it ceases to exist in it's present form it will become increasingly under pressure and unable to cope with demand.
The timescale for these two eventualities is impossible to ascertain, but we know that in Germany for example, the millions of migrants that Merkel is intent on letting in  will be given EU passports if they stay,  and will therefore be able to move to any part of the EU that they choose.
The same will apply to the millions of Turkish citizens who Cameron is so keen to let in to the EU despite what he is now saying.  A few months ago he was telling the Turks that he was their greatest ally and was intent on fast-tracking their accession to the EU, now he is assuring the British public that it will be the year 3000 before they join; he will just say whatever suits his agenda at any given time.
The recent migrant deal the EU struck with Turkey is about to go tits up as Erdogan has sacked the man who did the deal and has taken control.  Erdogan doesn't mess about and will be aiming for a far better deal; the EU, in the face of the migrant crisis, will find it difficult to say no to his demands.

So although we don't know exactly when it's going to happen we do know that the pressure on an underfunded NHS will increase if we stay in the EU, and also we know that it will eventually be sold off after TTIP is ratified.

If we vote out then we will immediately retake control of our borders and start restricting immigration numbers to a realistic level.  The pressure on the NHS and other benefits systems will lessen, and additional money will be available to improve these services.  Nobody knows the exact figures,  but we do know that millions of pounds are transferred to the EU every week - this fact has never been disputed,  the debates always end up in petty squabbles over the exact amount, how much we get back as a rebate etc, but these things don't make much difference, the fact is that millions of pounds that now leave our country every week will stay in this country if we vote to leave.

The other thing that we know for sure if we do leave the EU is that we will not have an unelected committee of faceless American and European corporate fat cats selling off our NHS.
If privatisation of the NHS does come up the British public will be in a position to vote against such a move whereas if we stay in we will not.  :police: