Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398431 times)

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 01:29:11 AM »
First point. Nobody voted to be in the EU, because there was no EU when the previous referendum was held. It was to a vote to be a member of an economic community, aka the Common Market, which was supposed to make the movement of goods easier with lower tariffs. I'm still waiting for significantly lower taxes that the government of the time promised if we voted in favour.

Subsequently, our leaders signed a treaty giving away our sovereignty without consulting the people. Unquestionably, this was an act of high treason and the perpetrators would at any other time in history, have been brought to trial and executed.

This is the first and probably the only opportunity for the population to reclaim the lawful rights of the British people. Failure to do this will mean that we will be inevitably drawn deeper into a superstate where we have little or no say in our destiny. All the arguments about compromise are irrelevant. No ifs, no buts to quote a certain culpable politician; we must get out of something we don't believe in. The evidence that we are not part of this pernicious European dream is clear. We have refused to join the Euro. We have refused to commit to the Shengen agreement regarding free movement over boundaries. We have just participated in a pointless exercise to pull back some of the commitments to which we had previously agreed. In other words, we don't believe in the superstate dream and we certainly don't want to immerse ourselves in the idea.

We want our country back and there is only one way to achieve it. The way out may be involved and complicated, depending on which politicians are allowed to stick their oar in, but June 23rd will be a historic day for the nation. If we stay in, it will be the last day for us as a nation.

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
Well said, Fairfax! Agree 100%

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »

Agree 100% Fairfax, couldn't have put it better, well done.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
First point. Nobody voted to be in the EU, because there was no EU when the previous referendum was held. It was to a vote to be a member of an economic community, aka the Common Market, which was supposed to make the movement of goods easier with lower tariffs. I'm still waiting for significantly lower taxes that the government of the time promised if we voted in favour.

Subsequently, our leaders signed a treaty giving away our sovereignty without consulting the people. Unquestionably, this was an act of high treason and the perpetrators would at any other time in history, have been brought to trial and executed.

This is the first and probably the only opportunity for the population to reclaim the lawful rights of the British people. Failure to do this will mean that we will be inevitably drawn deeper into a superstate where we have little or no say in our destiny. All the arguments about compromise are irrelevant. No ifs, no buts to quote a certain culpable politician; we must get out of something we don't believe in. The evidence that we are not part of this pernicious European dream is clear. We have refused to join the Euro. We have refused to commit to the Shengen agreement regarding free movement over boundaries. We have just participated in a pointless exercise to pull back some of the commitments to which we had previously agreed. In other words, we don't believe in the superstate dream and we certainly don't want to immerse ourselves in the idea.

We want our country back and there is only one way to achieve it. The way out may be involved and complicated, depending on which politicians are allowed to stick their oar in, but June 23rd will be a historic day for the nation. If we stay in, it will be the last day for us as a nation.

If I had a way with words that is exactly what I would have said ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:39 AM »
Excellent points well made Fairfax  8)
GTFO!

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »

well said Fairfax (of New Model Army fame? Cromwell, not the band)
ive took the liberty of posting it on facebook...
thank you

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
Well said Fairfax.

Have you ever thought of standing for PM?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »
Some debate this is, we are all in agreement.  At this rate 100% support for exit.

spannerman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 10:10:55 PM »
Faifax for our local M P got to be better than what we have got .

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 07:39:14 AM »
Let's blame the Tories - they took us in ! To be fair, not many at the time opposed the move. Maybe more should have listened to Tony Benn - but that's hindsight for you.

TEP

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
Let's blame the Tories - they took us in ! To be fair, not many at the time opposed the move. Maybe more should have listened to Tony Benn - but that's hindsight for you.

TEP

I was a postman at the time, and delivered all the bumf.  Every time I handed one out I got the same reply.  " I fought for this country I am not going to give it away "   Not one person I met said they wanted to join.

Yet we joined with an overwhelming majority.

I remember we were told that wages would increase, and we would get more holidays to come in line with Europe.  I am still waiting.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 09:48:48 PM »

TEP

I was a postman at the time, and delivered all the bumf.  Every time I handed one out I got the same reply.  " I fought for this country I am not going to give it away "   Not one person I met said they wanted to join.

I remember we were told that wages would increase, and we would get more holidays to come in line with Europe.  I am still waiting.

It only be the same this time, dont matter if 90% vote out it still be a majority to stay in, we dont have the transparancy in the uk to know any different

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »

TEP

It only be the same this time, dont matter if 90% vote out it still be a majority to stay in, we dont have the transparancy in the uk to know any different

You are as bad as me Bostonshire with your conspiracy theory.

But you are right, how do we know?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 11:18:42 AM »
Some debate this is, we are all in agreement.  At this rate 100% support for exit.

According to one newspaper today even the Queen is backing you Dip .

A NO vote majority in June and you could become Sir Mick !!! 8) ;)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
Liz and I think the same. When I get my knighthood, will you still talk to me GHM? 8)