Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398220 times)

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2018, 07:57:48 PM »
Oh, and BTW - if, after all that, you still think I'm a remoaning scaremonger peddling "project fear", you'll do well to go away and have a read of submissions published today by the trade sub-committee of the Australian Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade as part of its initial analysis of a future trade deal with the UK.

According to Australia, the UK, and I quote here, is likely to be the "distressed negotiator" from which Australia will be able to extract "significant concessions". But - and this is the worst bit - Australia is going to wait for the United States and Canada to weaken our position EVEN FURTHER before they then move in for the kill.

This is not project fear. This is actual strategy from a foreign country keen to exploit our weakened international status. Published today, if you want to go read all the gory details (you probably should, because if that isn't a reality check for you then I honestly give up).

More project fear mongering.  The aussies are keen to get a trade deal with us once we have escaped the EU gulag, and this 'analysis' if it exists at all, is just their way of attempting to start negotiations from a strong position. Theresa May should take note, although its far too late now.
Considering the Aussie economy is outside the top ten, and the UK is in the play-offs we are not likely to be 'distressed' in the trade negotiations.  Similarly with Canada, and, when negotiating with stronger economies, whatever deal is agreed will be mutually beneficial and not deleterious to either side, otherwise the deal would never be agreed... unless Theresa and Olly Robins are in charge of course  :police:

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 18, 2018, 08:10:24 PM »
If we hadn't had an Etonian led Conservative government propped up by the Liberal Democrats with a narcissistic leader called Cameron who thought Leave was an exit from the Tatler: would we be in this Eton mess at all?? Putin is laughing his gas off!!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 19, 2018, 08:00:42 AM »
Oh, and BTW - if, after all that, you still think I'm a remoaning scaremonger peddling "project fear", you'll do well to go away and have a read of submissions published today by the trade sub-committee of the Australian Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade as part of its initial analysis of a future trade deal with the UK.

According to Australia, the UK, and I quote here, is likely to be the "distressed negotiator" from which Australia will be able to extract "significant concessions". But - and this is the worst bit - Australia is going to wait for the United States and Canada to weaken our position EVEN FURTHER before they then move in for the kill.

This is not project fear. This is actual strategy from a foreign country keen to exploit our weakened international status. Published today, if you want to go read all the gory details (you probably should, because if that isn't a reality check for you then I honestly give up).

More project fear mongering.  The aussies are keen to get a trade deal with us once we have escaped the EU gulag, and this 'analysis' if it exists at all, is just their way of attempting to start negotiations from a strong position. Theresa May should take note, although its far too late now.
Considering the Aussie economy is outside the top ten, and the UK is in the play-offs we are not likely to be 'distressed' in the trade negotiations.  Similarly with Canada, and, when negotiating with stronger economies, whatever deal is agreed will be mutually beneficial and not deleterious to either side, otherwise the deal would never be agreed... unless Theresa and Olly Robins are in charge of course  :police:

Yeeees, that's right. I made up the Australian trade committee position paper to scare people. You've rumbled me. Gosh darn it (full disclosure: it was actually published in 2017, not this week - my error).

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 19, 2018, 08:10:30 AM »
We'll let you off this time, just don't do it again  ;D
The Singaporean trade deal with the EU is signed today, but will not come into force until ratified, which could take a while.
If we do actually get out the UK will then switch to a 'short-form' version while we negotiate a separate version, but with the same terms.  8)

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 22, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »

Ok, so you get that the bigger party should expect to do better when it comes to the UK (hypothetically) negotiating with Australia or Canada. But the fact we are doing badly when it comes to negotiating with the EU is because May/Robbins have handled it badly? Nothing at all to do with the fact that the EU27 have a combined economy which is five or six times as large as ours?

Remainers warned that we would have no chance of securing the sort of pie in the sky deal that leavers promised - because the EU has its own principles to uphold and is economically much bigger and stronger than us. The outcome would be pretty much the same whoever led our negotiations - be it Churchill, JFK or Mickey Mouse. It isn’t the negotiators’ fault for being unable to deliver on an impossible promise - it’s the fault of those who pretended it was possible in the first place (Davis, Johnson, Rees-Mogg etc - the ones who have either ran away from positions of responsibility or never held them in the first place).

May’s big mistake was to spend most of her first two years in office pandering to the Tory/UKIP right and promising the moon on a stick. She should have acknowledged that the referendum was extremely close and that there are huge divides to try and bridge, and aimed to build consensus for something along the lines of Norway, plus a customs union and with some restrictions on freedom of movement. That could then gradually evolve into something more detached over time, when the technology is invented to do so without erecting a hard border in Ireland or turning most of Kent into a lorry park (lol).

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
The number of letters to the 1922 committee is very close to the 48 required to trigger the vote of no confidence in the Prime Minister, (allegedly).
The question is, has Matty Warman sent a letter yet?  Considering a large majority voted to Leave in his constituency, and May is hell-bent on keeping us in, in all but name, then he should have sent a letter by now.
If ever there was a time to contact your local MP it is now, before it's too late...the time for Therexit has arrived!  :police:

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 22, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »
The number of letters to the 1922 committee is very close to the 48 required to trigger the vote of no confidence in the Prime Minister, (allegedly).
The question is, has Matty Warman sent a letter yet?  Considering a large majority voted to Leave in his constituency, and May is hell-bent on keeping us in, in all but name, then he should have sent a letter by now.
If ever there was a time to contact your local MP it is now, before it's too late...the time for Therexit has arrived!  :police:

The ERG want to put David Davies in charge, which will be comedy gold because he - like all the other pro-Brexit MPs - has absolutely no idea how the EU works, or indeed global trade. His abject ignorance of basic facts is quite extraordinary. Same can be said of Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson - they simply do not possess the basic knowledge of how the world works in 2018, and no measure of bluster or Latin-based waffle is going to bend the rest of the world to their delusional whims.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 22, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
I'm sure you know far more about the subject than Davies, Mogg, and Boris do  :laugh:
Why not put yourself forward for the vacancy?

Therexit is getting closer so why not get your emails, letters, phone calls in to Matty Warman and help tip the balance in favour of the Brexit you voted for! :police:

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 22, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »

I am still waiting to get responses from letters sent to Matt 9 months ago .  To be fair Ed I suspect all in Westminster realise  Matt is an exponent of follow the leader .  Completly lacking in balls and would get torn to shreds debating against any of the heavy weights .  Not cut out for serious politics in my opinion .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 22, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »
I'm sure you know far more about the subject than Davies, Mogg, and Boris do  :laugh:

Therexit is getting closer so why not get your emails, letters, phone calls in to Matty Warman and help tip the balance in favour of the Brexit you voted for! :police:

My local MP is Vernon Coaker.

And yes, I suspect I actually do know more about the process than all three of them because I'm not nailed down to some ideological fantasy. But it's not hard: you only have to spend a few minutes Googling simple facts and you'll be better equipped than those preposterous caricatures.

Champs next year

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 22, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »

And yes, I suspect I actually do know more about the process than all three of them because I'm not nailed down to some ideological fantasy. But it's not hard: you only have to spend a few minutes Googling simple facts and you'll be better equipped than those preposterous caricatures.

Just listening to the current commons debate on our E chaos:  It's a parallel process with a international football match! They are playing well rehearsed short, crisp, passing football with a couple of decent strikers who are running rings around us. We keep humping long hopeful balls; no direction or plan.... they just mop everything up & their two centre half have cigars on. We are 3-0 down heading for a humiliating defeat & our manager is heckled & to scared to change tactics in the second half. ORDER Lol.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
 ;D  ;D Post of the season by Champs!  ;D  ;D

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 22, 2018, 06:53:47 PM »

;D ;D  Sorry Champs, this one's even funnier  ;D ;D
Pete the keyboard trade negotiator  ;D

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 22, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »

I am still waiting to get responses from letters sent to Matt 9 months ago .  To be fair Ed I suspect all in Westminster realise  Matt is an exponent of follow the leader .  Completly lacking in balls and would get torn to shreds debating against any of the heavy weights .  Not cut out for serious politics in my opinion .
Yes, you may be right GHM, but despite Matty's prospects of becoming one of the bigger political beasts being on the low side (I'll take your word on that as I haven't met him yet), he is still our local MP and should be representing the view of the majority of us who voted out. 75% voted to leave, the highest out vote in the country, so we need to lobby him to make sure he's writing that letter IMO.
If he's dithering around not knowing what to do, a bit of lobbying from the locals could persuade him to get his pen out, and that one letter could be the 48th that leads to the removal of May... democracy in action!  :police:

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 22, 2018, 07:29:42 PM »
i actually had cause to contact our 5 MEP's last Friday night
(a recommendation from the trade body i belong to.. wont bore you with the reasons)
we apparently have 5!
the Tory lady was the first with an automated reply later that night
the Labour came in with an automated response this morning
i'm guessing the two Ukip ones and the Tory guy are not tech savvy as i have received nothing as yet.
pop your postcode into this link and see who they are
https://www.writetothem.com/?fbclid=IwAR1RfrdYUS_gYQuwVyQFQogWnxevGS23qZYRIMn4VJklJIG70sJDYCiGmVU
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:29:24 PM by howmanynames2pick »