Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 398436 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #675 on: March 02, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
It's significant that the EU never mention the 60 page report they commissioned on the Irish border situation.
Maybe because the report found that the technology already exists to make a technological solution possible.  They even suggest using the Irish border solution as a prototype for use across the EU.

Even more significant is the way some of the mainstream media reacted when Boris gave an example of how technology can be used in these situations.

The Remoaners have gone into a frenzy of anti- Brexit propaganda ahead of May's speech today, only to be expected of course,  project fear is back with a vengeance!
It didn't work last time with the likes of Osbourne, Carney, and other experts being proven wrong on the immediate effects of voting out.  Hopefully it won't work this time if May lives sticks to her guns and lives up to her reputation of being 'a bloody difficult woman' !

The EU are determined to use the Irish border as a means to break Brexit and keep us in the Single Market, the Customs Union, and the ECJ, or Brexit in name only, and they're wheeling out every clapped-out old binosaur they can find in an effort to overturn the vote.
If successful this country will no longer be a true democracy. It will be a country run by big business, where the interests of the shareholders are more important than the people's vote.
Unfortunately for us all,  the civil unrest that would follow such a scenario would be on an unprecedented scale.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 02, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
It's significant that the EU never mention the 60 page report they commissioned on the Irish border situation.
Maybe because the report found that the technology already exists to make a technological solution possible.  They even suggest using the Irish border solution as a prototype for use across the EU.

Even more significant is the way some of the mainstream media reacted when Boris gave an example of how technology can be used in these situations.

The Remoaners have gone into a frenzy of anti- Brexit propaganda ahead of May's speech today, only to be expected of course,  project fear is back with a vengeance!
It didn't work last time with the likes of Osbourne, Carney, and other experts being proven wrong on the immediate effects of voting out.  Hopefully it won't work this time if May lives sticks to her guns and lives up to her reputation of being 'a bloody difficult woman' !

The EU are determined to use the Irish border as a means to break Brexit and keep us in the Single Market, the Customs Union, and the ECJ, or Brexit in name only, and they're wheeling out every clapped-out old binosaur they can find in an effort to overturn the vote.
If successful this country will no longer be a true democracy. It will be a country run by big business, where the interests of the shareholders are more important than the people's vote.
Unfortunately for us all,  the civil unrest that would follow such a scenario would be on an unprecedented scale.

Driving between Camden and Westminster are part of a single market and customs union, and so there is no need to stop vehicles to check that they are not carrying any goods which are in contravention of safety standards on one side of the border, or that the appropriate customs duties have been paid.

If this fairy-tale 'technological solution' existed, every border between friendly nation states in the world would already be using it.

Highlighting the difficulties and irreconcilable promises made by Brexiters and May's 'government' is not Project Fear, it is Project Cold Hard Reality.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 02, 2018, 10:07:03 AM »

Smart Border 2.0 is unworkable in Ireland and will not achieve the 'secure' border Brexiters demanded prior to the referendum.

She can be as difficult as she likes; she will not get any meaningful concessions from the EU on any of the UK's red lines.

I love this argument most of all. Have you actually stopped to check the background of Brexit promoting politicians? Once the EU's power to protect workers has been removed, what do you think people like Jacob Rees-Mogg are going to do? Give us all more holidays? Extend maternity leave for new mothers? I say yet again, you haven't thought this through.... at all.

Oh, and good luck with your civil unrest! Hilarious.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
Lol!
Didn't take long for the self-appointed chief BUFC binosaur to appear  ;D
The timing is as laughable as the content!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 02, 2018, 01:40:49 PM »
No answers.

Enjoy Theresa May's speech this afternoon  ;D

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 02, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
Pete B   I don't know you but you appear quite erudite and well educated and I do respect your opinion.  What is it about the corrupt Brussels quango you find so attractive??
I voted in back in the day...IN being a free trade agreement..simple as... I didn't get asked about  a euro currency a European commission a European commission a European parliament... I suspect your politics may be left of centre and I have no issues with that but look back at what Michael Foot and Peter Shore tried to tell us back at the last referendum... I as a younger voter didn't listen... but in hindsight they were right..

I totally agree, we were sold down the line.  Maybe it's a generation thing, perhaps us of an older generation remember how it was.  I remember when we voted to join The common Market ( not the EU ) we were promised more holidays, better pay and a better way of life.  I did not believe them then and still do not.  I voted out because to me Europe were using us as a cash cow, they imposed laws on us that favoured main land Europe.  Just ask the fishermen. Don't get me going about The European court of human rights, and how it has been abused. Do you realise one last act they are trying to push through is to adopt " Berlin Time " so say goodbye to long summer evenings.  Take a dog to Ireland and it has to have a Rabies jab and a passport why?  There as never been a case of rabies  in the UK or Ireland.  The people of Britain voted OUT, so all you remoaners get over it.  The government thought the London vote would get a remain victory.  What they did not realise is, the fickle voters of London did not vote in numbers due to bad weather.  London has been insulated from the rest of Britain for many years. The people of Britain voted out because they are sick and tired of all the crap.  Germany have taken over Europe via the back door, no need for a world war, we have given it to them.  I may not be as brainy as some who post on here, but I know when we are being shafted.  So you can come out with all your statistics, and you can call all who voted out, thick.  But the first rule of a democracy is the will of the people.  So let's all sing off the same hymn sheet, and get a good deal for OUR COUNTRY.  I tell you what, if they will not negotiate feck em.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 02, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
I've said this before, I voted OUT because I don't trust them. All these faceless people, who are they, what are they up to?
I don't trust the lot that got voted in here, thieving, conniving, bastards!

Short and sweet but not how my local vicar would put it Lonegunman .    Probably contains more facts than most the longer posts on here .
Maybe if you had gone further and  included the names Cameron , Osbourne , Carney , Blair , Major and a army of Euro fat cats it would not have gone amiss .

Even though a pensioner I can not commit time to reading referendum opinions based on speculation .
I would think my MP wishes I did rather than probing and  gathering facts that are relevant to our present day lives .
I  suggest most brexit critics are too busy building a case to suit their argument to notice the ease in which the government has given away control to the private sector  of  a service valuable and respected by the vulnerable and working classes .

Using Bexit debating as a cover to reveal bad news was that successful that I had to reveal the news to my MP of the privatisation .

I will give an update and further details when I have visited my MPs office providing I can find which desk he is hidding under .

As Lonegunman would tell you ,  keep an eye on the conniving thiefing bastards in your own back yard .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 02, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »
Pete B   I don't know you but you appear quite erudite and well educated and I do respect your opinion.  What is it about the corrupt Brussels quango you find so attractive??
I voted in back in the day...IN being a free trade agreement..simple as... I didn't get asked about  a euro currency a European commission a European commission a European parliament... I suspect your politics may be left of centre and I have no issues with that but look back at what Michael Foot and Peter Shore tried to tell us back at the last referendum... I as a younger voter didn't listen... but in hindsight they were right..

I totally agree, we were sold down the line.  Maybe it's a generation thing, perhaps us of an older generation remember how it was.  I remember when we voted to join The common Market ( not the EU ) we were promised more holidays, better pay and a better way of life.  I did not believe them then and still do not.  I voted out because to me Europe were using us as a cash cow, they imposed laws on us that favoured main land Europe.  Just ask the fishermen. Don't get me going about The European court of human rights, and how it has been abused. Do you realise one last act they are trying to push through is to adopt " Berlin Time " so say goodbye to long summer evenings.  Take a dog to Ireland and it has to have a Rabies jab and a passport why?  There as never been a case of rabies  in the UK or Ireland.  The people of Britain voted OUT, so all you remoaners get over it.  The government thought the London vote would get a remain victory.  What they did not realise is, the fickle voters of London did not vote in numbers due to bad weather.  London has been insulated from the rest of Britain for many years. The people of Britain voted out because they are sick and tired of all the crap.  Germany have taken over Europe via the back door, no need for a world war, we have given it to them.  I may not be as brainy as some who post on here, but I know when we are being shafted.  So you can come out with all your statistics, and you can call all who voted out, thick.  But the first rule of a democracy is the will of the people.  So let's all sing off the same hymn sheet, and get a good deal for OUR COUNTRY.  I tell you what, if they will not negotiate feck em.

Sigh.

It's not "Berlin" time.

It's a proposal to scrap daylight saving time across the EU.

"Berlin time" was invented by the Daily Express, The Sun and the Daily Mail to piss off people like you who inexplicably believe that we are ruled by Germany. And you've fallen for it.

What's all this "they" business anyway? As we are part of the EU, it's a proposal we have played a part in, and one in which we get a say.

"They" are not pushing anything on us. The EU has proposed it. We are part of the EU. How can something be pushed on us when we've played a role in it?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 02, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »

Sorry, I missed you posting this. I think the EU has many problems, much like any large institution it's never going to be perfect. And yes, it has far exceeded its original remit. But overall I think it's a force for good - it is by design a bureaucratic nightmare and so immune to the whims of populism and short-lived governments. And it is a force for good for worker rights and consumer rights. I get fed up when I hear people saying it's just a vehicle for big business - trust me, if you think the EU is some kind of corporate protection racket, just you wait until the Brexiteer right of the Tory party get their hands on our hard-won employment and consumer protections. That's why they hated the EU - it stopped them exploiting us.

The EU allows frictionless trade with our closest neighbours and I'm sorry, but trying to replace that frictionless trade with deals with China and India just won't work. In ten years time, we'll look on in envy as Germany and France power on upwards, and we're left still trying to negotiate a trade deal with frickin' Japan.

I am pleased that Theresa May did at least acknowledge the difficulties she faces in her speech today. Obviously I'd love to just call the whole thing off, but since that's unlikely to happen I'll take the soft version of Brexit that she outlined earlier. It's better than nothing. And certainly better than no deal.

Amd seriously, people: stop saying, "let's just walk away". WE HAVEN'T BUILT OUR NEW CUSTOMS INFRASTRUCTURE YET. IT WON'T BE READY FOR A DECADE. STOP IT!

Anyway, at least we can disagree on here without resorting to mud-slinging. I've seen so much abuse on Twitter and it depresses me. Brexit isn't good for us as a nation - I hate the way it has divided us. But that is exactly what Farage wanted to do.... and sorry to say, he won.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 02, 2018, 06:30:49 PM »

Sigh.

It's not "Berlin" time.

It's a proposal to scrap daylight saving time across the EU.

"Berlin time" was invented by the Daily Express, The Sun and the Daily Mail to piss off people like you who inexplicably believe that we are ruled by Germany. And you've fallen for it.

What's all this "they" business anyway? As we are part of the EU, it's a proposal we have played a part in, and one in which we get a say.

"They" are not pushing anything on us. The EU has proposed it. We are part of the EU. How can something be pushed on us when we've played a role in it?

So you're not telling me that this is not being pushed by Germany.  So you're not telling me that if Britain does not follow suit, London being the financial centre could lose that status. 

So what are " people like me " Pete?

Because my opinion ( shared by about 50% on this thread ) does not fit in with yours.

You must have read one of, or all of the above papers else how did you know they printed that.  I actually heard that term from a like minded friend.

Perhaps my head has been filled with fake news over the past 50 years.

Anyway a lively debate ;) ;)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 02, 2018, 06:44:38 PM »
And further more if we were not in Europe the 15 centimeters of snow we have had would have been under 6 inches. Relax chaps we will get what we get.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 02, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
Dipdodah - of course it's not being pushed by Germany. The EU is by design an institution in which all members contribute equally. It's not the Second World War any more! If you feel threatened by Germany it's probably just because they do a lot of things much better than we do them - simple as that. But it's not like they waltz into the European Parliament and everyone cowers. The BBC reports it was actually Finland that kicked off the debate - and that's all it is at this stage.

As for London's future status as a financial centre - well, passporting will not be prioritised by Theresa May, so yes, Germany could well end up snaffling financial services from us and decimate the City. But if that's what happens, then hey, that's what we voted for - it's not like they invaded and nicked them; we gifted them the opportunity. Course they'll take it. Anyone would.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 02, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
Bloody snow oxo.  Stuck indoors is driving me nuts. No football .  So too much time to waste.  Lol

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 02, 2018, 07:47:07 PM »
Dipdodah - of course it's not being pushed by Germany. The EU is by design an institution in which all members contribute equally. It's not the Second World War any more! If you feel threatened by Germany it's probably just because they do a lot of things much better than we do them - simple as that. But it's not like they waltz into the European Parliament and everyone cowers. The BBC reports it was actually Finland that kicked off the debate - and that's all it is at this stage.

As for London's future status as a financial centre - well, passporting will not be prioritised by Theresa May, so yes, Germany could well end up snaffling financial services from us and decimate the City. But if that's what happens, then hey, that's what we voted for - it's not like they invaded and nicked them; we gifted them the opportunity. Course they'll take it. Anyone would.

The old fart OXO is right Pete his generation has seen it all before  , relax and  enjoy your football & hobbies,  ignore the so called experts and politicians , they are there to generate a stash of cash for  themselves not there country .

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 03, 2018, 11:39:03 AM »

The old fart OXO is right Pete his generation has seen it all before  , relax and  enjoy your football & hobbies,  ignore the so called experts and politicians , they are there to generate a stash of cash for  themselves not there country .

Working in an industry that depends on EU regulatory alliance, I could lose my job after Brexit if - as rumoured - the office is relocated to Germany. But yeah, I'll just relax and enjoy my hobbies.