Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 400739 times)

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #645 on: November 04, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
That is the reply I got Pete.  I copied it off EE chat, so no mistake.  The customer adviser was called Kumar.  Perhaps an Indian call centre, with limited knowledge.

Just a side note, I had cause to ring EE in the summer to negotiate a new contract.  I got talking to a lovely Irish girl, it turns out the EE call centre was based in Wexford.  She lived in the next street to my best mate, small world ;)
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 04, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »
Wow. That said, having had my fair share of grief with EE over the years, I can well believe they're dishing out advice that bad/weird!

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 30, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »
let me try and put figures into context.

People band around figures of X million of debt this and X billion of debt that.

Did you know that one million seconds is approx 12 days and one billion seconds is approx 31 YEARS.

So when Britain were made to pay 1.4 billion to the EU in extra payment the other year, converted to seconds that would take us up to the year 2061. Frightening.

It looks like we are to pay in the region of 40 billion pounds in a divorce payment.  If we paid it back at the rate of £1 a second that is £86,400 a day.  So at that rate we will clear our debt in approx 1,240 years time.

You can see we have been a cash cow for Europe, no wonder they did not want us to leave.

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 30, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
During the Financial Crisis of 2008 -  3 UK banks had a total of £37bn injected into them  (Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds TSB and HBOS). 

We only need another £3bn and the job is done!

But will there be interest added on to the £40bn if it's not paid off over a certain period of time?

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 11, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »
So it looks like Canada +++, still subject to ECJ, and more or less still in the Single Market and Customs Union, and paying  in £billions for access.
Or shall we just keep our money and take our chances under WTO rules...hmmm difficult choices  ;)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 12, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
So it looks like Canada +++, still subject to ECJ, and more or less still in the Single Market and Customs Union, and paying  in £billions for access.
Or shall we just keep our money and take our chances under WTO rules...hmmm difficult choices  ;)

Non-tariff barriers under WTO rules would result in the car industry departing the UK and put thousands of hardworking people out of a job. Not project fear: simple practical fact.

You could say the same for any number of other industries. I don't think you've really thought this one through. Then again, not many have...

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 12, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
Plenty of posturing at the moment all a part of the art of negotiating .

I thought through what Geo Osbourne , Dave Cameron , Philip Hammond and Matt Warman told  me ,   Since Brexit I drive around Boston looking for the promised dole queue ,  decaying factories and repossessed homes they warned would happen in months .  All I see in our area is new homes being sold , full employment according to Philip Hammond , and  new industry on the industrial estates , and  Matt boasting of  thriving local industries .
Thankfully Geo and Dave have avoided unemployment  :)

Brexit is new experience ,  the claimed experts are really Guessperts ,.  (I know but it will be in the Oxford Dictionary in ten years time  :)

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 12, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
Equally I work in the NHS and have not noticed £350million a week coming in yet. Just job cuts and expectations to do more with less.

I realise we haven't left the EU yet so won't be getting any financial benefits but neither would I expect too many downsides till we actually leave or at least until the deal is finalized.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 12, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »
Equally I work in the NHS and have not noticed £350million a week coming in yet. Just job cuts and expectations to do more with less.

I realise we haven't left the EU yet so won't be getting any financial benefits but neither would I expect too many downsides till we actually leave or at least until the deal is finalized.

Sadly politicians use the NHS as an easy vote winner , then when the polling booths close toeing the party line takes priority .
I was amazed recently when a member of Lincoln County Hospital radiograthy dept revealed to me that he had turned out for a couple of hours work the previous Sunday for no pay "because of a serious demand ".   
Don,t build up hopes of increased funding John ,  I would think some of it has been earmarked for upgrading the MPs home of rest . ( Houses of Parliment and its  taxpayer funded bar .)   

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »

Non-tariff barriers under WTO rules would result in the car industry departing the UK and put thousands of hardworking people out of a job. Not project fear: simple practical fact.

You could say the same for any number of other industries. I don't think you've really thought this one through. Then again, not many have...

Typical patronising remoaner post - against all the odds we do appear to be leaving in some shape or form - get used to it  ;)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 13, 2017, 08:13:33 AM »

Typical patronising remoaner post - against all the odds we do appear to be leaving in some shape or form - get used to it  ;)

As I say, and I really don't want to be rude, if you think crashing out on WTO terms is a *good* thing, you clearly haven't thought it through. Of course, if you want to tell me how exactly the car manufacturing industry could possibly remain in the UK with (on average) 8 hour waits for customs checks at the border on the several million car parts that come over on 1,100 lorries every single day, then I'm quite prepared to admit I'm wrong. And I'm sure Honda would love to know your solution to the problem too.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 14, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
Last night's defeat in the commons has but us back in our negotiations , possibly extending our negotiation period by months if not years.

I am in two minds about last nights vote.  On one hand I curse the remoaners, they are doing everything to derail our exit from the EU.  They are against the will of the people.  This is a democracy and they treat us like we are some backward country.  How can May have a free hand to negotiate, when she has little or no say in whether what she has agreed can be implemented.

On the other hand, we are a democracy and we who voted have formed parliament.  Whether we voted Labour, Tory, or the raving loonys we have put MPs in those seats.  We put then there to govern, and this being one of the most important decisions in generations, parliament must have the final say.

Dipdodah@confused.com

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »
never a Michael Foot fan... maybe we should have listened
https://www.facebook.com/leaveeuofficial/videos/1466719976759572/

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 14, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
Last night's defeat in the commons has but us back in our negotiations , possibly extending our negotiation period by months if not years.

I am in two minds about last nights vote.  On one hand I curse the remoaners, they are doing everything to derail our exit from the EU.  They are against the will of the people.  This is a democracy and they treat us like we are some backward country.  How can May have a free hand to negotiate, when she has little or no say in whether what she has agreed can be implemented.

On the other hand, we are a democracy and we who voted have formed parliament.  Whether we voted Labour, Tory, or the raving loonys we have put MPs in those seats.  We put then there to govern, and this being one of the most important decisions in generations, parliament must have the final say.

Dipdodah@confused.com

They're trying to prevent us leaving the single market, not the EU. Now, you may claim that remaining in the single market it tantamount to remaining in the EU, but hey ho - it wasn't on the ballot, blame Cameron for that, and if you go waaaay back on this very thread I do make the point that the two are two very separate things. The Government has a mandate from the people to leave the EU. It does NOT have a mandate to extend that to quitting the single market. If we DO leave the single market then Parliament should at the very least get a vote on it - because as you say, we live in a democracy, and such hugely important decisions must be put to a vote, not forced through by a gang of ideologically-driven vandals.

Let's not forget, these are the same people who said they wanted to take back control of the UK's borders and secure them. Now they've suddenly realised the Irish border is a massive problem - which anyone with a brain was pointing out 18 months ago - they've completely forgotten they ever said that and now claim they have no intention of enforcing the Irish border. It's just lies upon lies upon lies, and the only people standing in their way are the Tory rebels. Good on 'em.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 23, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
Both Cameron and Osbourne clearly stated that if we voted to leave then we would be voting to leave the Single Market, a fact that the remoaners hardly ever remember.

Another good one that they bring up is 'Nobody voted to be poorer'.  I can't remember the phrase 'But only if we end up richer' printed next to the box I ticked on the balliot paper.
Just more brain-dead, patronising, remoaner crap from people who think that the majority of the British public who voted leave are 'considerably thicker than wot we are', and far too stupid to have considered that to leave after 40 odd years may have economic repercussions.

The economy is not perfect but its not in bad shape considering the remoaner experts including the ex-chancellor predicted an immediate recession.  A prediction about as accurate as the one about air travel coming to a complete stand still, travel chaos at the borders, and the English channel blocked by the sunken wreckage of ships that have rusted through while they have been queuing to  get in to dock.

Total absolute remoaner b*llo*cks!  :police:

Happy Brexmas!