Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 400526 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
Also, we're probably going to need to make some cuts. I damn well hope they start with the state pension.

I've been meaning for a while to apologise for this remark. I do have two bugbears - one with the fairness of a young generation being voted out of the EU by an older one which is not going to see the consequences, and a second with the government's continuing generosity in funding the 'triple lock' on the state pension which I think is both unsustainable and a poor use of public money. But  to link them in that way was clearly in pretty poor taste. Apologies to those that I offended (and who still have the will to read this thread).

I suppose my only defence is that it was at the height of post referendum national insanity. Nine months later, we have members of the House of Lords talking about war with Spain. So I guess I don't have a monopoly on ill advised comments...

As a pensioner your comments do not offend me Adam,   from your remark it was clear to me you had stepped into a zone you have very little understanding of .   How would you reform pensions ?

I've no strong views on if they need reform as such, but I think the (state) pension has blatantly been used by the Conservatives as a bung to buy votes. The tripe lock costs £6bn a year if you believe the government's actuaries. I'm pretty sure that money would do greater good for both the country and older generation if it was used to fund social care or the NHS (even though I'm sure the latter will soon be awash with £350m a week of extra cash).

You were emphatic that you wanted the state pension reformed ,  given the opportunity you can,t suggest what parts to cut .
You are correct that the likes of Osbourne and Cameron try to buy the OAP vote .     Blatant attempt by these two 7 years ago, promising  to protect the elderly from losing their homes to fund care in old age ,   what happened to that ?   

On the Brexit side you had IDS the man hailed as a great benefits reformer who used the referendum as an excuse to exit the DWP , leaving it in a bigger need of reform than when he took it over .

Both camps have their own agenda ,  the likes of Dipdodah and myself will assure you it is not the working class they are working to benefit .       

Be honest ,  we have no idea what he outcome will be ,  only that if  turns out to be a great success to politicians will take the plaudits , failure and the working classes will be blamed .

Don't trust a politician .

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 05, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
Very true GHM
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 18, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
Snap election called for 50 days time.  Liberal Democrats have stated their vote changer will be focused on the Remainers.

Does this mean 48% of the population will vote Lib Dem?

If Lib Dems become the main opposition ( could run Labour close ) can they influence any Brexit plans?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 19, 2017, 08:02:56 AM »
Snap election called for 50 days time.  Liberal Democrats have stated their vote changer will be focused on the Remainers.

If Lib Dems become the main opposition ( could run Labour close ) can they influence any Brexit plans?

Yes.

No.

The Third Twin

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 19, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »
Snap election called for 50 days time.  Liberal Democrats have stated their vote changer will be focused on the Remainers.g

Yes.

No.
Can any of this stop the (Ch)impvasion to League 2? Will it save Trinity from relegation? Will Boston beat Fylde 9-2 and gain their revenge for earlier this year? Will the new ground be built by Christmas 2020, or will we be kicking an old brown leather thing about in no man's land somewhere near Wyberton whilst humming The Pipes of Peace?
Not a chance on any of the above.
The reality is none of us really know, and until the fat lady sings, there will be more changes than in a typical Dennis Greene starting line-up.
Personally, I wish they'd get on with it.
He who would valiant be , 'gainst all disaster.
Let him in constancy follow the master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent, to be a Pilgrim.

John Bunyan, 1684

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 23, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
Just a O/T on this O/T thread, police are investigating as many as 17 MP's ( all Tory ) into overspending of election funds.  All in marginal seats.  The government majority 17, oops. ???

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

And this from a Tory paper >:( >:(

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 30, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
Nuttall to stand in Skegness and Boston.  At the news conference he was asked who managed Boston United. He did not know.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 30, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »
Sorry have just seen Ed Kandi's thread
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:30:03 AM by Dipdodah »

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 10, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »
Is Corbyn going to keep us in Europe?  When questioned yesterday about Labour's policy on Brexit, he refused to confirm Labour would take Britain out of the EU.  Has he done a secret deal with SNP?

Very worrying if a possible ( unlikely ) future Prime minister does not follow the will of the nation.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 10, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
Nah. We're deffo leaving the EU, don't you worry about that.

But not much will change as it is slowly becoming obvious we can't do the hard Brexit the hardline Tories want without completely crashing the economy. The segment on Newsnight about how the delicate supply chains involved in car manufacturing will be destroyed is particularly disturbing. Industrial leaders are already pressing the government to soften their stance.

Indeed, May will be forced to make so many compromises, all of which are dictated by the practical realities of the world we live in, that little will change.... except we won't have any control of the rules we are forced to follow to trade with the EU and beyond.

Basically, we've handed all the power to the Germans and the French and the Spanish and the rest of the bloc. And I don't want to hear a whimper of complaint from the Brexit lot when you figure this out in the next year or so, as that's what you voted for - enjoy!

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 10, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
We've survived numerous financial crashes, two world wars and Tony Blair - we'll survive Brexit, it's what we are.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:44 AM »
That's true. We did survive two World Wars. Ok, millions died, food had to be rationed for a decade and children evacuated across the country. But we survived. So really, it was all great when you think about it. Let's hope Brexit is just as good!

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 10, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
We've survived numerous financial crashes, two world wars and Tony Blair - we'll survive Brexit, it's what we are.

"Dear employees - due to the Government's decision to leave the customs union, it is now logistically impractical to continue importing the parts required to make the car engines you build, therefore we've moved production to Germany and you are now out of a job.

Still, I'm sure you'll survive: after all, you got through the second world war or something. Best of luck at the food banks!

P.S - please do not reply to this email as I'm off fox hunting for the weekend.

Toodle-pip!
Sir Huthbert Vastly-Rich, CEO"

youngchubby69

« Reply #553 on: May 10, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
The world is a crazy unstable place these days, I have never much worried about what goes on in general, but now I am truly concerned about many things,Trump,North Korea,ISIS, and Turkey and many more.
Brexit means very little to me as they need us more than we need them,I voted to leave not because of immigration or being dictated to.
My values are simply this,we should not be giving away any money when we have people walking the streets with mental health problems, homeless sleeping on the streets,people going hungry and the need for food banks.
Charity beguins at home, sorry if people don't think that's right but I only give to UK charity's, a select few only Shelter and the Salvation army, everyone has the right to give to what or whomever they choose to.
Try a bit of volunteering at a homeless shelter, believe me you will feel humbled in many ways, the dignity that the homeless show is remarkable,I came away at the end of my day with a massive respect for those lovely people I had the pleasure to meet,and the Salvation  volunteer's are amazing.
Yes I was humbled and yes I she'd many tears through the day and the evening also.
Will Brexit solve our problems at, probably not but at least we have the choice to vote on such issues, that's democracy in a democratic country the people voted and the majority voted to leave whether it was a slim or big majority we go with the biggest vote,so stop trying to change the outcome just because it didn't go your way,if you don't like democracy go and try your luck in North Korea.
If it had gone the other way I would have took on the chin, accepted it and moved on that's democracy,not throwing your rattle out of the pram when you don't get what you want,I was raised by parents when they said no it meant know.
We will survive and many of my friends who have their own business are doing much better know and planning for the future Brexit,why? because that's what business people do,think and plan ahead.
One door closes and another opens,there lose is our gain.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 10, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
The world is a crazy unstable place these days, I have never much worried about what goes on in general, but now I am truly concerned about many things,Trump,North Korea,ISIS, and Turkey and many more.
Brexit means very little to me as they need us more than we need them,I voted to leave not because of immigration or being dictated to.
My values are simply this,we should not be giving away any money when we have people walking the streets with mental health problems, homeless sleeping on the streets,people going hungry and the need for food banks.
Charity beguins at home, sorry if people don't think that's right but I only give to UK charity's, a select few only Shelter and the Salvation army, everyone has the right to give to what or whomever they choose to.
Try a bit of volunteering at a homeless shelter, believe me you will feel humbled in many ways, the dignity that the homeless show is remarkable,I came away at the end of my day with a massive respect for those lovely people I had the pleasure to meet,and the Salvation  volunteer's are amazing.
Yes I was humbled and yes I she'd many tears through the day and the evening also.
Will Brexit solve our problems at, probably not but at least we have the choice to vote on such issues, that's democracy in a democratic country the people voted and the majority voted to leave whether it was a slim or big majority we go with the biggest vote,so stop trying to change the outcome just because it didn't go your way,if you don't like democracy go and try your luck in North Korea.
If it had gone the other way I would have took on the chin, accepted it and moved on that's democracy,not throwing your rattle out of the pram when you don't get what you want,I was raised by parents when they said no it meant know.
We will survive and many of my friends who have their own business are doing much better know and planning for the future Brexit,why? because that's what business people do,think and plan ahead.
One door closes and another opens,there lose is our gain.

Well said :)