Author Topic: O/T In or out  (Read 401152 times)

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
Re: O/T In or out
« Reply #1005 on: March 19, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »
The 10 day countdown has begun!  ;D

Since the Speaker yesterday ruled MV3 ultra vires, and there's no plan B, the Maybot has 10 days to totally change course, run a series of indicative votes through Parliament, and then go back to the EU cap in hand and beg for an extension.
If all that can happen in time it will mean Brexit in name only, as the only thing the MPs would agree on is a customs union /single market arrangement, which is not what 17.4 million people voted for.
Absent May's ability to perform the above mentioned parliamentary contortions, we will exit at 11pm on the 29th March, which is what MPs voted for overwhelmingly when they passed Article 50 a couple of years ago... lets go WTO!  :police: 8)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 19, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
Pop over and take a look at Boston Docks - reckon they'll get the new customs inspection posts ready in ten days? What about all the new officers needed to inspect the goods coming in? Are they nearly close to finishing their training? If we're going WTO in ten days we'll need both to be finished by now, so be a lamb and post some pictures on here of how they're getting on....

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 19, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »
May is allegedly writing a letter to the EU requesting both a short term AND a long term delay.
Her hope is that, if accepted, this letter will become a legally binding text of sufficient gravitas to obviate the Speaker's 1604 objection, and enable her to re-present her deal for a third time next week.
If she gets it through parliament, which seems unlikely, the short term delay kicks in (30th June) , if not the whole thing gets put back to June 2020  :o :'(

Of course there's no guarantee the EU 27 will all agree to allow an extension at all, in which case out we go WTO!  :laugh:

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 19, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
If the EU reject the extension then there's a very good chance Article 50 will be revoked completely and Brexit postponed indefinitely. Anyone sane knows WTO to be a catastrophe, and thankfully there are just about enough sane people in charge to avert it.

Notice you haven't answered my question. Bit awkward when reality gets in the way of your fantasies innit?

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 19, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »
Barnier was very amused at the idea of the two-step extension request by May when questioned a couple of minutes ago. 
He stated that everyone should prepare for 'No Deal';  it's looking like over we go WTO!  :police:

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 19, 2019, 07:30:22 PM »
The Attorney General's office has just been 'stormed' by yellow vest wearing protesters according to the London Evening Standard.  They are demanding justice for the three, the three stooges maybe? 
Civil unrest on the streets of London, who'd of thought it would happen over here :police:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:25:15 PM by Ed Kandii »

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 20, 2019, 07:39:00 AM »
Stop bleating on about WTO. It's not going to happen.

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 20, 2019, 09:17:16 AM »
May's looking a bit rocky on the oche, with both the men in grey suits (1922  committee)and senior cabinet ministers asking to meet her today.
Could today be curtains for the Maybot?  :o :police:

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 20, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
May's looking a bit rocky on the oche, with both the men in grey suits (1922  committee)and senior cabinet ministers asking to meet her today.
Could today be curtains for the Maybot?  :o :police:

I would be surprised if it's today, they need a scapegoat and she fits the bill :D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 20, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »
She's going nowhere til this has been resolved.

Not one MP has the guts to own this decision, so she'll remain as the hostage PM

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 20, 2019, 06:35:14 PM »
Yes, the Maybot marches on.  You have to admire her tenacity and resilience, Ken Clarke was right when he described her as a bloody difficult woman.  ;D

According to Tusk the MPs either vote for her deal or there's no extension to Article 50,  which means the odds on a WTO Brexit are shortening dramatically no matter what Tony Blair and others of his ilk might say. :police: :laugh:

Could end up with the choice between 'No Deal', or revoking Article 50.  The majority of the MPs will want to cancel Brexit if it reaches that point, but would they be brave enough to overturn the result of biggest democratic exercise this country has ever held?  ??? :police:

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 20, 2019, 07:45:25 PM »
Yes, the Maybot marches on.  You have to admire her tenacity and resilience, Ken Clarke was right when he described her as a bloody difficult woman.  ;D

According to Tusk the MPs either vote for her deal or there's no extension to Article 50,  which means the odds on a WTO Brexit are shortening dramatically no matter what Tony Blair and others of his ilk might say. :police: :laugh:

Could end up with the choice between 'No Deal', or revoking Article 50.  The majority of the MPs will want to cancel Brexit if it reaches that point, but would they be brave enough to overturn the result of biggest democratic exercise this country has ever held?  ??? :police:

Nothing would surprise me ED.  In earlier posts I said we would not be allowed to leave.  The two options open to us now, is May's VERY BAD deal or remaining in the EU.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Ed Kandii

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 20, 2019, 11:48:38 PM »
Yes Dipodah, but the WTO exit is still the legal default under EU and UK law, so 3 outcomes available.
May's deal could be off the table come Monday.  After her speech tonight MPs are getting death threats;  she decided to appeal to the public and blame the chaos on the MPs, which is hardly conducive to getting them to change their minds.
So Tuesday we could find ourselves with the remaining two choices, and what a choice that would be for our MPs.

Matt would have to vote for WTO having voted to keep no deal on the table last week.  8) :police:

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 21, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »
Matt's already said he'll support a WTO exit. Should it happen, he'll have to account for his decision at the future public inquiry - and I imagine by the time that rolls around all you lot will either have vanished or will be pretending you never supported it or even voted leave in the first place :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:10:44 AM by Pete B »

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 21, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
Matt's already said he'll support a WTO exit. Should it happen, he'll have to account for his decision at the future public inquiry - and I imagine by the time that rolls around all you lot will either have vanished or will be pretending you never supported it or even voted leave in the first place :D

Even with the smiley face, I take your comment as an affront to my integrity, I voted leave, would still vote leave either as "No Deal" or "WTO".