Author Topic: Utd away at Telford  (Read 14349 times)

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Utd away at Telford
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
In fairness I think Dennis knew pretty quickly that the formation was wrong at the start of the game but with only three subs dare not make changes too early. We desperately need our injured players back as we are very threadbare at the moment and if we are not able to sign a tough midfielder need to get Garns in there asap. May I also add that the performance of Pidge was unbelievably brilliant.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »
As usual it sounds as if Oxo has summed it up again absolutely right. When I heard the team selection for the start of the game I could not believe it. How Mr Genius could pick that team and set up the midfield as he did is pathetic especially as we all saw how well Telford played at York St especially in midfield. Its not the young lads fault who got hooked off early in the second half, its the initial bad team selection down to the manager. How lucky he then was after changing it too late, they had a player sent off and we then played a lot better. I like Roberts as a player in midfield but he cant do it all on his own and then Mr Genius starts to criticise him in the post match interview and also Pidge for one of the goals-- unbelievable. Two of our better players, what must they think. Apart from the heroics as 4 or 5 players this would have been a disaster, definitely 2 points dropped, not the first this year because of bad team selections- all down to a very ordinary manager that does not deserve to be in charge of our great team.

What team and formation would you have picked ?   
We have a manager who last season took us to the joint highest league position since Chestnuts took over ,  on reportedly lower budget .   
The last 4 matches minus 3/4 key players each match we have obtained 10 points , maintain this form and play-offs are certain .
In his radio interview Pidge admitted the their second goal was down to him and Garner .
Who were the 4/5 players that performed heroics ?

Now from the above how can you claim Greene is a very ordinary manager ?    You , like the rest of us posters on here cannot name a realistic target that can do a better job , or can you ?

poshpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
Tim Sherwood is available as may be 'the special one' soon  ;D

Bodge

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
I've been critical of Dennis not getting a competitive squad together for the start of the season and I'm afraid the midfield is light when Garner isn't there. To be fair to Dennis he did say in one of the interviews that Telford surprised him playing 3 up front and he had to make changes, whether they were late in coming who knows. What is for sure is that we are missing Felix, Mills, Rollins, Jones and are in need of a good strong midfielder. Hopefully we can get those 4 back which will make the starting 11stronger and give options off the bench which isn't great and  limited at present. If we can hang on around the edge of the playoffs untill after xmas we will be in with a.shout of the playoffs.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »
To many keyboard managers on here, I would sooner leave the big decisions on BUFC to Mr Newton he gets them right most of the time. Don't get me wrong we are all entitled to our opinions but given the opportunity to take over from the Manager not one of us would be up to it.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »
We're not a million miles away from the playoffs despite the fact we haven't once been able to field the XI we want and that it took 8 weeks for Dennis to sort out the team somewhat.

We are light of impact players from the bench and there's a few square pegs in round holes at the moment but I look at it like Fylde were there for the taking, we were ahead versus Tamworth/Chorley... we had a chance to win at Hednesford.

There's only Solihull who really impressed me and deserve to kane us. A top 5 place is there for the taking if we can consistently field our best XI with a few options to change the game from the bench

It doesn't excuse the fact this should've all been in place by August but whilst we're still 3 or 4 points behind where we'd want to be, we've plenty of time to make that up. 15 games in last year, I think we had 2 more points

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »
DT - you say that DG doesn't deserve to  'be in charge of our great team'.

Surely this is his team. He signed all the players. Whether he manages them to your expectations each week is another matter but it is his team.

Football is a strange game - and there are always many reasons which we will never understand as to why a manager will make decisions on tactics, squad, formation etc. And it's always so easy with hindsight to jump onto your keyboard and tell the manager what he should have done.

I went to see Gillingham v Southend on Saturday. Gillingham top of League 1 and unbeaten at home. Southend controlled the game from start to finish. In fact, the home team hardly had a shot on target in the whole game - certainly nothing to trouble the keeper. They only scored in the last minute with a cross which was caught by the wind and flew into the top corner. The Gillingham fans were moaning about this and that - which players had been left on the bench, who should have started up front etc etc etc. That's football. If every manager got it right every game he would probably be in charge of Barcelona.

TEP

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »
I thought that the midfield was virtually non-existent for most of the first half, which as a whole was spectacularly poor.  The lack of closing down form either midfield or defence for their first was poor but the defending or lack thereof from the big punt upfield for their second was worse.  However the hit and hope nature of our play on what looked a good surface was shocking.

Second half was much better with the changes made although, admittedly, it did help when they had a man sent off (correctly) and conceded a goal and their confidence visibly drained away.  The build up with the controlled passing and waiting for a space to open up for Dayle was excellent and befitting of a league much higher than ours.  The disappointment was that with 20 mins or so still to go we didn't really kick on and test their keeper.

Unlike the home fans, and a couple of here, i thought the referee had a good game and got most things about right.  If Pidge's cut was bleeding then it is right that he stays off and gets it sorted before he can be let back on and so i can't see how we can complain about that.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 08:16:41 AM »
Telford seem to be underachieving don't they? They've got great facilities at this level, decent crowds, a really good location for attracting youngsters and loanees from the Midlands, but always seem to be yo-yoing between the North and the Prem.

As for the game, we would have lost comfortably without their sending off, and they're on a bit of a roll and better than their position suggests.