Author Topic: Cotton gone...  (Read 6094 times)

BU on the up

• View Profile
Cotton gone...
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »
...sounds about right if you ask me. Never thought he had the quality for this level.
Good luck to him though

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton gone...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »
Agree with the above posting.He hasn't really made the impact hoped for.I wonder whether H&S already have a replacement lined up?-or does it mean the signing of Yates on a permanent deal?Best wishes to Dotty for the future.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Thought he did ok and was quite a decent impact player but was never going to be a first team regular.  This has happened every season since dropping out the league. We get a settled first team but there are very few players who will sit on the bench week in week out without getting the hump. I'd say Clarke was the sort of player we were looking for to be on the bench, maybe it makes way for him to return to the fold?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
I like Dotty as a player but agree he never really looked like winning a regular place. Having said that he never really got a sustained run in the team so we'll never know.

Agree with LCB we need players who can come in and do a job if there are injuries but the success of the team is meaning players are getting fed up bench-warming, don't think there is anything we can do about this apart from rotating the team but that comes with it's own set of problems namely never having a settled side and players who are playing well being dropped.

Hopefully as has been said this will mean Jamie Yates is going to sign permanently but even if he does we still look a player light in the middle, another addition to the squad perhaps  ???

Seenbetter

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »
Agree with all the above.
Wish him well at Stamford.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »
This leaves us with 4 midfielders including Milly who isnt fit yet. A new middy is needed me thinks

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
Last straw probably seeing Newsh start on the right wing ahead of him on Saturday..
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
...sounds about right if you ask me. Never thought he had the quality for this level.
Good luck to him though

A little bit harsh from BU considering you must have judged him on only subbed cameo
 appearances he made during his short spell with us. Imo he has as much quality as
 Yates going forward can deliver a good ball into the box,is not afraid to shoot (as was
 witnessed @ Nantwich) and stays on his feet ! The lad in my view is too good to be
 picking splinters out of his arse so good luck to him back at Stamford where I'm sure
 he just might be appreciated more.............
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »
If we are going to win this league we need players like Cotton who was always an option from the bench or could have played if we had injuries or suspensions but as previously stated any player worth his salt won't be happy kicking their heels for 75 - 80 mins of the game. Hopefully we will have another winger aswell as Yates (presumably we have been paying his wages since he joined anyway) on board soon. Anyone know the situation with Tyrone Kirk at the moment??

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »
Remember him playing in League Two for us away at Bristol Rovers !

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »
From day one the new managers have made their preference for a 4-3-3 system quite obvious. That's their prerogative, though personally I've never been convinced that out-and-out wingers fit easily into that system. A natural winger will look to beat a full-back on the outside and get crosses in from the by-line for a centre forward to get on the end of; our system seems to need players with more of an instinct to cut inside from wide positions.

Cotton is a very good player but perhaps not suited to Boston's chosen system. I wish him well for the future but fear he is the type of player who will come back and haunt us one day.

To a certain extent I do find myself questioning the managers' decision to sign wingers given their preferred shape and formation. Kennedy, Cotton and to a lesser extent Kirk have all been and gone in a relatively short space of time. A few fleeting substitute appearances aside, neither Kennedy nor Cotton were given many opportunities to impress.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:38:27 PM by leicester pilgrim »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
What is noticeable is that most players released inc Kennedy and Cotton have moved to teams in lower leagues.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
Kirk is still out on loan from Macc.  Someone put a link to the highlight of the Rhyl game he played in on the Stamford site and said reports are he is doing well.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

BU on the up

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:19:13 AM »
Good luck to him though

A little bit harsh from BU considering you must have judged him on only subbed cameo
 appearances he made during his short spell with us. Imo he has as much quality as
 Yates going forward can deliver a good ball into the box,is not afraid to shoot (as was
 witnessed @ Nantwich) and stays on his feet ! The lad in my view is too good to be
 picking splinters out of his arse so good luck to him back at Stamford where I'm sure
 he just might be appreciated more.............

Didn't say he was a poor player I just said he isn't good enough for this level. I'm sure if Hurst and Scott (the people who see him training twice a week) agreed with you they would have give him more of a chance and not decided to let go back to the place from where he came - in a lower league I may add. Looking at our team and our position in the league they seem to be pretty good judges of footballing ability.

Again, I hope he does well back at Stamford where - like you said - he will be more appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:28:33 AM by BU on the up »