Author Topic: Ryan Robbins  (Read 5185 times)

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Ryan Robbins
« on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:50 PM »
Ryan Robbins signs for us then from Stamford. Looks a good prospect and seems to have an eye for goal and a bit of a physical presence about him.  I like this signing, although i am sure it won't go down well with the seasonal moaners.  Up the happy clappers !!!! :bunny :bunny

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Robbins
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 07:13:07 AM »
Positives - Good goalscorer for Coalville Town and Stamford.

Concerns - Disciplinary problems - he was sent off for headbutting an opposing manager in March.
I saw him play for Coalville against King's Lynn a few seasons ago and he was constantly barracked by the Lynn fans.Some kind of history there. He did later sign for Lynn but then moved on to Stamford without playing a game.

hozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »

Stamford fans view of Ryan signing for us, very interesting!

Unfortunately my penchant for earlier cynicism appears well founded and find myself agreeing with Jeremy in that the speed of this, the very nature of this does indeed leave a very bitter taste in the mouth. Not that I am remotely bothered about our former talismans departure, like nearly every Stamford supporter am actually quite relieved that the poison if you like that has affected the dressing room so badly of late has been removed, but hell, and Mr Greene and RR can deny it till they're blue in the face, this definitely stinks of a structured and quite contrived fait accompli doesn't it?

It is obvious, however heavy the denials woud possibly be, that the only avenue open to Greene to make this move happen would have been to sit him down, physically or metaphorically and whisper in his ears how he would love to have you Ryan old chap, but we cant pay a fee, so for it to come to pass you will have to first get released from your contract, well guess what people?

Though I obviously get your point Jeremy, Robbins doesn't strike me as clever enough to have intentionally behaved badly enough to force through this contract cancellation, it's been going on for too long, and especially as by doing so it would have meant intentionally upsetting so many of his team mates, who incidentally after chatting to a couple last night on FB are "delighted" to see the back of him. Nor does he strike me as clever enough or devious enough, to have played so poorly in order to push it through either, he's simply been playing crap for to long for that.

Though I agree this part is all conjecture, put yourself in Bostons shoes for a minute, well the managers ones anyway, who make no bones, is under immense pressure at the moment. Four wins all season, like us an early FA Cup defeat and worse, for the second time this season at the hands of their nearest neighbours and the fans are now really beginning to get on his case, and he definitely needs an urgent change of form. He suggested last week that he is hoping to sign three players, two of which he has to slap in seven day notices for, suggesting further, as no such notice was received for Robbins that this could well be the third?

I have to admit I have a genuine soft spot for Boston and their wonderful fans, I follow their Twitter updates every game, and chat regularly to a couple including Shaun about whats going on there and would love to see them reach the play offs again. Could Ryan help achieve this, help save Greenes job? Most certainly, but equally as likely he could also hasten any possible departure!

Is he good enough for Boston, for the national league?

On ability alone oh Christ yes. In my opinion he's good enough to play in the National premier. However for any Boston fan reading this, let me sneak in a caveat to that by saying, whilst we know exactly how good he used to be, how good he can be, on the form shown in the last twelve months, and most certainly this season thus far, whilst still popping in quite a few goals (many of which were penalties) he has shown nothing more than UCL form, and worse simultaneously demonstrating an attitude that is more akin to Sunday morning football complete with recorded training ground fisticuffs, hissy fits, and on the pitch strops and arguments.

In short it's a huge gamble for Greene who I guarantee has signed him on what he used to be like not what he is like at the moment. I know he watched the friendly against Histon but he surely wouldn't have seen him play competitively for if he had he wouldn't have even contemplated signing him, and whilst totally ambivalent towards if it will be a good move for Robbins, cant help but care abut whether it will prove to be good move for the great club he is joining, hopefully it will, but am far from convinced.
Like us, though for slightly more aspirational reasons, Boston are in a battle, and is Ryan really the kind of person you would like next to you in the trenches?

Shit I think I would rather have Ephialtes and Zachary Smith!

If he gets his head on though, he could be a star and if playing for Boston doesn't cheer the lad up nothing will. He has the pace, the strength and the finishing to be a perfect fit, but I rather think Boston fans think they are getting a centre forward, they aren't.

They are getting a player who on his day (and I can say this courtesy of a good memory) who can be a quite superb wide player with a great eye for goal, and the surprise about this signing is that's not what they are missing, they have quite a few wide men. They are crying out for for another forward, someone to compliment and give competition to Southwell and Jonahs brother who to be fair, is struggling a bit at the moment, and that's just not Robbins, he is a not a central striker, never has been and never will.

But it's time to draw a line now, through subterfuge or pure coincidence he is no longer our player (or problem) the players can now breathe a sigh of contentment, and for our part we wont have to put up with his appalling disciplinary problems any more something of which we haven't even touched on!!

But there were undeniably some great times, and it would be totally inappropriate of us were we not to thank Robbins for all the wonderful memories and many of his quite stunning goals. Normally we would wish all players leaving well, certainly when joining a club like Boston, but mos will feel what would have been a great legacy has been soured somewhat, and it's just really unfortunate that the divorce had to end in this manner.

But hey ho, back to business tomorrow, onwards and in our case hopefully upwards.

Read more: http://stamfordafc.proboards.com/thread/4141/robbins#ixzz3nOVafnxr
against league 3, an idiots guide to making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Grissles Oleary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
I think you will find the sequence of events read as such;

Left Coalville much to the delight of many Coalville fans;
Signed for Barwell;
Pretended to sign for King's Lynn;
Left King's Lynn without having really signed;
Announced had signed for Barwell;
Smashed up dressing room after being sent off in a friendly;
Left Barwell without playing a competitive game I believe;
Signed for Stamford;
Signed for Boston;

No denying his playing ability,but i wouldn't want him if he paid to play! ::)

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:12:21 PM »
I like this signing, although i am sure it won't go down well with the seasonal moaners.  Up the happy clappers !!!! :bunny :bunny

What makes you come to this conclusion ? I think most reasonable Pilgrims would welcome a potentially talented forward here but there's bound to be an element of doubt and cautiousness given his disiplinary issues and lack of experience in this league. It's definately a gamble and hopefully it pays dividends for us. It's interesting hearing the thoughts other clubs fans as to what they think of the guy. It sounds like he's potentially a talented forward but like Miller, maybe has some less positive things going on too. Maybe he too can turn a corner and develope like Miller did here.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »
I like this signing, although i am sure it won't go down well with the seasonal moaners.  Up the happy clappers !!!! :bunny :bunny

What makes you come to this conclusion ?

Have you not read comments on the  other fans forum ?  Shouts of where's the left back, get a goalie in, where's the left back, and around again.  Very disrespectful to this lads signing in my opinion and comments should be focused solely on what the link was informing us. And who's to say one, or even both areas they mention won't be filled by a new signing or two soon ? As the old Chas & Dave song goes, "ain't no pleasing you " seems very apt at the moment.   Far too many armchair managers i see !!

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »

Have you not read comments on the  other fans forum ?  Shouts of where's the left back, get a goalie in, where's the left back, and around again.  Very disrespectful to this lads signing in my opinion and comments should be focused solely on what the link was informing us. And who's to say one, or even both areas they mention won't be filled by a new signing or two soon ? As the old Chas & Dave song goes, "ain't no pleasing you " seems very apt at the moment.   Far too many armchair managers i see !!

Other fans forum ? I was only aware of this fine establishment.

Fans questions as to the whereabouts of a suitable left back and goalie are actually relevant questions. These positions are in real need of bolstering, although it is bad taste to comment on these issues in a piece welcoming a new forward I will say. Whether people like it or not, such public forums are full of opinions and if easily offended by opinions and questions perhaps one should give these places a wide birth. We can't all be easily pleased with such poor football and frown upon people's displeasure at results. At the same time I struggle to see the attraction of putting negative spin on everything without justification. I'd like to think there's enough moderates out there that can apply some kind of perspective to the current situation we find ourselves in.

I'm not sure how many games you've watched us play so far this season but if you're like me and watch them home and away, it's been hard work watching us and very frustrating. I can certainly understand the frustrations of many fans. However I look back at last seasons turnaround and understand with a few capable additions this team could be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully the manager has made the necessary personnel changes with these new signings and the team can get back to winning ways.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »

Fans questions as to the whereabouts of a suitable left back and goalie are actually relevant questions. These positions are in real need of bolstering, although it is bad taste to comment on these issues in a piece welcoming a new forward I will say. Whether people like it or not, such public forums are full of opinions and if easily offended by opinions and questions perhaps one should give these places a wide birth. We can't all be easily pleased with such poor football and frown upon people's displeasure at results. At the same time I struggle to see the attraction of putting negative spin on everything without justification. I'd like to think there's enough moderates out there that can apply some kind of perspective to the current situation we find ourselves in.

I'm not sure how many games you've watched us play so far this season but if you're like me and watch them home and away, it's been hard work watching us and very frustrating. I can certainly understand the frustrations of many fans. However I look back at last seasons turnaround and understand with a few capable additions this team could be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully the manager has made the necessary personnel changes with these new signings and the team can get back to winning ways.

I think what leftback was trying to say was a few on here will complain whatever happens  ???

Like you post all the same CC .

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 06:41:13 PM »

This is my point,  some just love to post negativity after negativity and the comments i refer to were made on the BUFC official FB page and the fans forum on there too.  I really don't get what the point of moaning about the needed areas of the team, when its a post about a new signing who could bolster our attack.  Surely that is a positive story ! I agree areas need to be addressed but even when they are there will still be the same people giving these new players just 2 or 3 games before they slate them.  Arguments with the manager has not helped the club spirit either, the gaffer was always going to be an easy target for some online and personally i think i would rather see him deal with the team news away from the fans forum interaction. Yes, i do go to many games and at times we have looked poor although many of the games i have seen we seem to build up well but have no final product.  This brings me back to the new signing !  See, it is a positive spin but hey ho that's just my opinion.  ::)

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
I totally agree with your point about the final product. Maybe when we have two fit wingers we could pose more of a risk. I'm a firm believer in wing play, even in non league. I think a team needs to have the option of attacking from several channels instead of long predictable punts up the pitch. Long balls do have a place but since we've no out and out target man this needs to be limited in games.
 :bunny
Another puzzling problem in our games has been performing well for 45 minutes and then completely imploding in the following half. I saw Jose Mourninos post match interview after the Newcastle draw and what he said actually made sense. You don't have to be the best team for all 90 minutes, just perform for a sustained period, do the damage in this period and keep your concentration for the remainder of the game. God he makes this football lark sound easy  :dan

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
I totally agree with your point about the final product. Maybe when we have two fit wingers we could pose more of a risk. I'm a firm believer in wing play, even in non league. I think a team needs to have the option of attacking from several channels instead of long predictable punts up the pitch. Long balls do have a place but since we've no out and out target man this needs to be limited in games.
 :bunny

Couldn't agree more about wing play. In all the years i have been following the Pilgrims ( and that is a lot ) i have to say, hand on heart that all our best displays have come when we get at the opposition down the wings.  I am also a fan of having a strike  when in sight of the goal rather than trying to walk it in after one touch to many which sometimes we try to do. Am sure the goals will soon come, and we are close to giving someone a good hiding.  Message to all is keep the faith  ;D