Author Topic: Is anyone else bored yet ?  (Read 16020 times)

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else bored yet ?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
Dont be daft, that may be spot on with the playing budget, but will not have anything to do with the operational budget. Even suggesting we are working on a weekly playing pay roll of less than £2000 a week is madness. Pidge, bearing in mind he signed a two year deal last season, and Garner, probably still our two highest earners will logically take out between six and eight hundred of that between them, and even if 6,7,8 players were under £200, maybe some even under £150, you cant do that on the budget you are suggesting.
Its also why, despite what some may think the FA Cup and Trophy are so vital. A win yesterday and one more in the next round, money that common sense says you can't budget for pre-season, may have given Greene an extra £10,000 to spend on recruitment and could have made the difference between bringing in a couple of really decent players or  couple of good ones, and how badly could the squad do with a bit of that extra quality.
The FA Cup may not mean a lot to teams in the premiership hell bent on survival, but to teams at our level, they can be a godsend, two more victories and we could have featured in a televised match, and suddenly our income because of it could have topped six figures and I cant believe anyone can dismiss our exit quite so flippantly     

Captain Clean

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »
Putting aside the poor results of late and crashing out the cup at the first point, it's even more alarming to see on social media DG telling a paying customer to go watch his football elsewhere. In any other business field telling a customer to go to another business would not be tolerated. It is simply unprofessional and shows great disrespect to the customers loyalty. This kind of conduct cannot be tolerated by the club.

It's not the first time he's shown an error of judgement by commenting on social media and criticising fans when it's his mistakes that's to blame for poor performances. The best thing for DG to do is to let his work do the talking, improve the team and results instead of making ridiculous comments on social media. Personally I'd prefer a manager that quietly gets on with the task in hand and then that can be the only thing I ultimately judge them on. While some fans will no doubt tolerate his behaviour if results pick up, he cannot conduct himself like this when results are also lacking. It doesn't bode well for the clubs image either when a clubs manager is slating the fans, it's poor form and slows a lack of class. Perhaps it's a sign of the pressure he's starting to feel ?

I hope DN reminds DG that he represents the club, the business and that incidents like this shouldn't be happening.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »
At the end of the day, it's only the FA Cup which most clubs find a distraction anyway. A Cup Competition, just like the FA Trophy, which is in Purgatory. Sorry, but this is 2015 and it's Leagues, Leagues, Quadrant, Leagues which count!!!! We've still got a new ground and 500 houses to look forward to!

Disagree ,  as B Grimes says the potential cash windfall is vital for most small clubs to break  even .
All  the same nice to read the posters on this thread this morning making  real attempt to be constructive .

West Keal Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
At the end of the day, it's only the FA Cup which most clubs find a distraction anyway. A Cup Competition, just like the FA Trophy, which is in Purgatory. Sorry, but this is 2015 and it's Leagues, Leagues, Quadrant, Leagues which count!!!! We've still got a new ground and 500 houses to look forward to!

Disagree ,  as B Grimes says the potential cash windfall is vital for most small clubs to break  even .
All  the same nice to read the posters on his thread this morning making  real attempt to be constructive .

Agree with you g h m. Well said.
tax free sarcasm and irony included

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
No abundance of hindsight from most of us, we all knew we only needed 3 or 4 players to make us serious contenders this year.

player one = totally obvious that once Rene Steer left we needed a left back, not sorted
player two = experienced playmaker or ball winner in central midfield, bit of  a calm head to help the young squad, not sorted
player three = physical striker to put defences under pressure and set up play for Dayle, not sorted
player four = good quality keeper, hopefully with some experience, not sorted

why can Gainsborough attract players like Jarmen and D'Laryea who would have improved us, please please someone tell me why we take on young lads of 17, 18 from league teams who just can’t compete physically in this league. Isn’t our budget big enough or is several weeks in Benidorm more appealing than signing players.

Crowds will dwindle and all the positivity from last season will quickly fade. Hope I’m wrong but we could be in a relegation battle, the year we were relegated from the conference time and time again we were told were too good to go down, well we did. Changes need to be made quick, not saying Dennis should go now but if we are still in the same predicament after the next 4 league games we will have to see what happens.
Yes we’ve won 4 games, Curzon 21st , Brackley 18th, Gloucester 17th, Corby 16th and not beaten a single team above us.

Another good post asking for questions to be answered .   Greene knew we needed he players listed by hozzer so why no players signed of the required standard ?
Many don,t seem to grasp the complex problems for non-league players combining jobs with football .
Over the years there has been few local players produced suitable for our level ( "big northeners") leaving the club to look further afield .
If you are seeking to bring in players from long distances the player has to take into account travelling time and the cost ,  maybe lost wages and less family time .   
For example a player in the Manchester area with offers from NC local club/s would maybe require another £2/300 a week to be tempted to Boston .

I think a few GTFC are fairl local and some have good jobs local .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »
No abundance of hindsight from most of us, we all knew we only needed 3 or 4 players to make us serious contenders this year.

player one = totally obvious that once Rene Steer left we needed a left back, not sorted
player two = experienced playmaker or ball winner in central midfield, bit of  a calm head to help the young squad, not sorted
player three = physical striker to put defences under pressure and set up play for Dayle, not sorted
player four = good quality keeper, hopefully with some experience, not sorted

why can Gainsborough attract players like Jarmen and D'Laryea who would have improved us, please please someone tell me why we take on young lads of 17, 18 from league teams who just can’t compete physically in this league. Isn’t our budget big enough or is several weeks in Benidorm more appealing than signing players.

Crowds will dwindle and all the positivity from last season will quickly fade. Hope I’m wrong but we could be in a relegation battle, the year we were relegated from the conference time and time again we were told were too good to go down, well we did. Changes need to be made quick, not saying Dennis should go now but if we are still in the same predicament after the next 4 league games we will have to see what happens.
Yes we’ve won 4 games, Curzon 21st , Brackley 18th, Gloucester 17th, Corby 16th and not beaten a single team above us.

Another good post asking for questions to be answered .   Greene knew we needed he players listed by hozzer so why no players signed of the required standard ?
Many don,t seem to grasp the complex problems for non-league players combining jobs with football .
Over the years there has been few local players produced suitable for our level ( "big northeners") leaving the club to look further afield .
If you are seeking to bring in players from long distances the player has to take into account travelling time and the cost ,  maybe lost wages and less family time .   
For example a player in the Manchester area with offers from NC local club/s would maybe require another £2/300 a week to be tempted to Boston .

I think a few GTFC are fairl local and some have good jobs local .
Well said Hozzer in your post totally spot on I agree with every word.
One thing id like to be answered which would be vital in knowing if we should get of Greens back or give him the benefit of time is this...
Has he identified quality players in the summer to fill the gaps which Hozzer points too only to be told by the chairman to find cheaper younger replacements.
If this is the answer to the critical question then its not Dennis Greens fault at all and he blame solely lays with the Chairman of the club.
Its a huge question that needs to be answered.

Possible that the answer is contained in the above post (players demands )
Difficult to question the chairman when Chestnuts sink £100k a year into club .

Burgh Boy

• Veteran Member
  • Norwich United 1903-2023. Thanks for the memories.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »
Whatever the pros and cons of Cup Competitions (FA Cup, FA Trophy, Lincolnshire Senior Cup), we shouldn't take into account yesterday's result regarding Den's future at the Club. Cup games, although ranking above Friendlies, are still less important than League encounters. The Chairman, when looking at the Footballing side of the business, appears quite happy with the way Den conducts himself at the moment. Naturally, if our final League position at the end of the season is anything below mid-table, there may be some "reviewing of the situation" but not necessary any changes in employees. The construction side of the business, Chestnuts, is a healthy business and with the Quadrant will provide much needed affordable housing and jobs for this area.
Alan Partridge: "I bet I've got more friends than you've got cows. How many cows have you got?"
Farmer: "I've got 100 cows."
AP: "Well, I've got 104 friends!"

Odin

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
Let's just simplify the issue. Doesn't matter if it's Cup, League, Friendly or the daft Lincs cup, the bottom line is we are fed up with losing. Losing twice at Gainsborough in one season is just too much to stomach. 12 competitive matches and just four wins is not conducive to crowd attraction. Something, that has been pointed out by others, that should have been done was not done. It appears we waited until all the good uns were snatched up and then went looking at whatever was left and then looked for the cheapest. Still feel sorry for the good players we have who have been let down by the manager. I don't think we have a happy changing room at the moment and that's not because of us losing. I wonder if a few of those 'good uns' will go elsewhere when the opportunity arises.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36:26 PM »
I would be surprised if 1or2 players does not leave .   At least most the best players are contracted so a fee will be due .   

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
Earlier posts have set out exactly what player changes are needed. I could not agree more, as several of us have been saying this for months and being shouted down by the usual suspects. 5 players are trying to carry this team at present and its telling that they are getting frustrated like the rest of us. The manager is losing or has already lost the dressing room. He is responsible for squad building, team selection and team tactics, and it seems to me he has failed on all fronts. You cannot rely on young inexperienced loan players in this league. I am convinced that Garner is best as a central defender which means we are totally lacking in midfield and are getting overwhelmed every game once other managers realise our problems. I totally respect David Newton he is an honourable chairman and we all know we would not have a club without him, and he likes to be loyal to his managers, but I think that now is the time to say thank you Dennis and move on to a new manager before the season gets significantly worse. As somebody else has said we have only beaten teams below us in the league and the next few games look pretty grim to me with this squad.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
Putting aside the poor results of late and crashing out the cup at the first point, it's even more alarming to see on social media DG telling a paying customer to go watch his football elsewhere. In any other business field telling a customer to go to another business would not be tolerated. It is simply unprofessional and shows great disrespect to the customers loyalty. This kind of conduct cannot be tolerated by the club.

It's not the first time he's shown an error of judgement by commenting on social media and criticising fans when it's his mistakes that's to blame for poor performances. The best thing for DG to do is to let his work do the talking, improve the team and results instead of making ridiculous comments on social media. Personally I'd prefer a manager that quietly gets on with the task in hand and then that can be the only thing I ultimately judge them on. While some fans will no doubt tolerate his behaviour if results pick up, he cannot conduct himself like this when results are also lacking. It doesn't bode well for the clubs image either when a clubs manager is slating the fans, it's poor form and slows a lack of class. Perhaps it's a sign of the pressure he's starting to feel ?

I hope DN reminds DG that he represents the club, the business and that incidents like this shouldn't be happening.

These people were abusing him on social media too,  so is that acceptable ? if someone was to abuse me verbally, i would stand my ground too same as anyone would.  Yes, he is the manager but the comments made that were personal towards him was not acceptable and the song that the fans chant of "kn**head army actually fits for some, as they are behaving as one !  Time some of our fans grew up to be honest.

Odin

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »
Just heard DGs interview. So there is hope, we went out of the cup to Leek this time last year and still finished 3rd. But we shouldn't be in this position. You cannot start the season 3 months after all the other teams in the league and expect to do well at the end because you lose too many points and make life really difficult.
As for the abuse he gets at the end of the games I can understand the feelings of those few individuals butI felt for DG on Saturday as he received that sort of abuse. How about if those folk got together and stayed away for a few games to show how unhappy they are. Sometimes no noise is louder than lots of noise.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »

These people were abusing him on social media too,  so is that acceptable ? if someone was to abuse me verbally, i would stand my ground too same as anyone would.  Yes, he is the manager but the comments made that were personal towards him was not acceptable and the song that the fans chant of "kn**head army actually fits for some, as they are behaving as one !  Time some of our fans grew up to be honest.
This is the exact reason why I thought he shouldnt be in the FB group...Oh well.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »

This is the exact reason why I thought he shouldnt be in the FB group...Oh well.
Agree totally,  but my feelings are that some wanted him on there purely so they can dish out the abuse.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
Let's just simplify the issue. Doesn't matter if it's Cup, League, Friendly or the daft Lincs cup, the bottom line is we are fed up with losing. Losing twice at Gainsborough in one season is just too much to stomach. 12 competitive matches and just four wins is not conducive to crowd attraction. Something, that has been pointed out by others, that should have been done was not done. It appears we waited until all the good uns were snatched up and then went looking at whatever was left and then looked for the cheapest. Still feel sorry for the good players we have who have been let down by the manager. I don't think we have a happy changing room at the moment and that's not because of us losing. I wonder if a few of those 'good uns' will go elsewhere when the opportunity arises.

Making assertions here ? or do you know Greene sat back and waited for the best players to go ?
What advantage would it be for him to wait for the "cheapest " he,s not footing the wage bill .
My assertion would be that Greene probably made good offers to players but they decided Boston did not fit there requirerments ie location or was outbid by a club living beyond their means .
I know his grates with most of us but do we want to return to the days of "outbidding " other clubs and what it entails ?    Not for me