Author Topic: Oh Dear  (Read 6667 times)

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Dear
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
Going on the facts of last season and matches so far this season, Stockport, FCUM and Telford get bigger crowds than we do and Chorley are about level.  Hence it is a fairly safe assumption that these clubs have bigger fan bases than we do?

FCUM are a tribute act with bugger all history. I can't accept that they're bigger than us just because they have a catchment area of a few million gloryhunters
Chorley only got higher crowds than us because of big away followings which we never get to YS. And they were getting 200 only 5 or 6 years ago
Telford likewise.... and they're a phoenix club, so they can't be seen as bigger than us. Their crowds are no better than ours now that they've stopped winning things
There's only Stockport bigger than us and probably only 6 or 7 bigger than us in non League

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 12:29:07 PM »
I think the team is crying out for an experienced player that has played in the league to guide the lads on the pitch thro games.
Unfortunately an experienced player tends to come at a considerable wages cost, plus it's not necessarily the answer unless they fit into the team in terms of attitude, personality etc. Gary Mills was an experienced player at this level. 
As we saw last season, a talented group of young players all playing for each other can go a long way. 
At the moment, some of our key players aren't at their best (Pidge, Jonah), and others aren't fit (Zak, Kaine, plus I don't think Dayle is 100% either) which isn't helping.  As with previous seasons, it will probably take a couple of months for the team to settle down, no doubt there will be a few changes, but nothing like the wholesale changes that were needed to the midfield this time last year!

Odin

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
Sorry Josh but I have to say this but there was a time, before we were born, when Boston United didn't have a history. I applaud FCUM for what they are achieving.
Boston are a big non league club when it comes to regular attendance figures of around 1000+ and the ground is superior to a lot of clubs higher up the tables than we are. I think the only area in which we lack size is in the height of our players.