Author Topic: Oh Dear  (Read 6659 times)

Odin

Oh Dear
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:25:57 PM »
Hi guys, I'm back. Missed the first three games so don't know much about how players performed but after the slagging off I got after the Grimsby game I thought I would ask how our attacking partnership is doing. Do they need competition so that one or both don't consider their positions safe. Two goals in the last game and no more even after the opposition going down to 9 men and both goals from penalties when the ball is not even moving. I still fear that we are in for a repeat of the last couple of seasons when we lose too many games in the first half of the season and don't get a winning setup until nearly half way through the season.
Just a thought but when other teams are changing players in order to improve their chances is it logical to keep the same team that the others know about. Someone has said that Curzon managed to prevent us from scoring any more goals because they knew how to negate our attacking options.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Dear
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:43:47 PM »
Ref your last sentence.
Yes they did, as they moved from a 4-4-2 to a 8-0-0 formation.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:12:56 AM »
Think we have only scored one goal from open play in the first three matches ?

See we have a striker on loan from Peterborough - but he seems to be 4th choice ? Not quite sure in the logic of that. If we get loan players in from higher up pro clubs then I would really expect them to be better than what we already have. We are not responsible for the development of said players.

TEP

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:15:40 AM »
Hi guys, I'm back. Missed the first three games so don't know much about how players performed but after the slagging off I got after the Grimsby game I thought I would ask how our attacking partnership is doing. Do they need competition so that one or both don't consider their positions safe. Two goals in the last game and no more even after the opposition going down to 9 men and both goals from penalties when the ball is not even moving. I still fear that we are in for a repeat of the last couple of seasons when we lose too many games in the first half of the season and don't get a winning setup until nearly half way through the season.
Just a thought but when other teams are changing players in order to improve their chances is it logical to keep the same team that the others know about. Someone has said that Curzon managed to prevent us from scoring any more goals because they knew how to negate our attacking options.

The reason we didn't score any more goals vs CA was quite simple...watch the highlights online and you will see that their keeper played really well stopping several "certain goals".....we also ended the game with Johnson and Friend as our two attackers.....so nothing to do with other teams "knowing all about us"....

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:30 AM »
Think we have only scored one goal from open play in the first three matches ?

See we have a striker on loan from Peterborough - but he seems to be 4th choice ? Not quite sure in the logic of that. If we get loan players in from higher up pro clubs then I would really expect them to be better than what we already have. We are not responsible for the development of said players.

TEP

we are not "responsible" as you put for the development of other teams players,but, as has been proved with our tie with Sunderland, its a useful thing to do and benefits both clubs...

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
Johnny - yes, but only if those players are good enough. Clearly the keeper last season was in that category - as was Agnew. But we don't want players that aren't good enough to get in our first eleven. Surely a waste of a loan.

TEP

Shrimperpilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
Have to say im with Odin on this topic we seem to all have known the players that were needed to strengthen over the summer but have struggled to get any real quality in to improve the depth of the squad.
This is starting to show as 3 of last seasons top performers are potentially out for the next games Felix, Pidge and Mills.
The problem we have is the lack of quality when you go past the best possible starting 11 even then id say we could improve with a better target man than Jones and another strong center half or center midfielder.
If we were serious about getting out of this league then you have to question why does Greene settle for this.
Id think the more likely reason is down to budget which I can never work out why we don't attract the better players at our level we play in a great ground with a the second largest fan base a vocal crowd and nearly got promoted last year.
Instead we are left getting in more kids or loans not good enough to start for us.
I think the team is crying out for an experienced player that has played in the league to guide the lads on the pitch thro games.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »
the second largest fan base

Do you have us above Stockport or FCUM?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »

Or Telford United or Chorley?

And how many of those have a crook who is demanding an extortionate ground rent from the club so they can pay off their debts racked up for tax fraud?

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »

Only Stockport are bigger, let's not kid ourselves into thinking a Man Utd Tribute Act and a phoenix club (whose support is dwindling back to the level it was before the original died) are bigger than us.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 02:14:06 PM »
Going on the facts of last season and matches so far this season, Stockport, FCUM and Telford get bigger crowds than we do and Chorley are about level.  Hence it is a fairly safe assumption that these clubs have bigger fan bases than we do?

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 02:42:45 PM »
Each sub got smaller and smaller. Like one of those russian dolls.
Until we get a lot more physicality in key areas we resemble Midget Utd!
Lots of posts on here acknowledge that, just Mr Genius is not convinced.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »
 May as well  concede  that Stockport .. Fcum bigger .
    And steady on Ken !

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 06:54:28 PM »
Baring in mind that both Chorley and AFC Telford, who most would expect to be in and around the play-offs, occupy the bottom two places in the league, I'm not too worried ATM.

If Boston are still struggling after the first 10 games then questions may need to be asked.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
Didn't know Tranmere were in Conference National !