Author Topic: Boo Boys!!  (Read 5242 times)

Toby Lerone

• View Profile
Boo Boys!!
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:36:16 PM »
I first started following Boston in the mid 90's and really enjoyed going to games week in week out regardless of how poorly we had played the week before or who was in charge. I rejoiced when we got promoted to the football league and felt the crushing blow of us getting relegated on the last day of the 2007 season at Wrexham. Since that time I have started to find it more and more difficult to go to a game and enjoy it.

i won't lie that the football that we played under Tommie Taylor in the early days certainly didn't help the situation but for me the problem is much worse than that. Fans will say its evans & co who give boston a bad name. I'd be inclined to say get over yourselves. Some of the fans are what give boston a bad name.

Don't get me wrong i think it's great that we get good attendancss for our level and our away fans are fantastic, I used to travel all over the country and felt proud to be a "yellow belly"

I was at the Solihull game last night and I have never been so embarrassed to be a boston fan in all my life, there were people stood around me shouting insults about player hairstyles, football boots, where the opposition keeper could kick a ball and so on. Not to mention the stick that the referee got. People wonder why boston never get a decision, maybe if the whole stadium didn't start laying into the ref from the first whistle to the last we may fair better in the future.

If fans concentrated more on the game itself rather than the number 9's headband then I'm sure we wouldn't get half the opposition players we do celebrating jn front of the home fans.

In terms of last nights performance from Boston it was hardly a surprise when you look at last season. While I think we have some tremendous players some of which seem to have attained cult status i can't think of a time in the last 18 months where I have seen a team concentrating for the 90 minutes. It's alright having a high work rate but if our players can't concentrate when we're off the ball then we don't have a hope

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boo Boys!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:35:28 PM »
I do agree with you about the fans behavior, although this was just a small section of youths on the townend i heard who be to totally fair probably attend these games half a dozen times a year. Although there was also a few i spotted who should know better been regulars.  It really was embarrassing, hearing shouts towards our players of " your crap " and " we're going down " etc.  As true fans, we can only stand up them and tell them what idiotic kids they are being.

As for the referee's abuse, to be honest it was warranted as he was awful and gave nothing from the sure fire red card that wasn't to some clear handballs and fouls.  But to abuse your very own team is what sickens me ! 

Regarding your questioning of work rate through 90mins,  i find that harsh to be honest as i have seen this team run its legs off on plenty of games last season and they always give it their all.  Every player, in every team will make a stray pass during the 90mins, or make a mistake.  Even in the Prem ! 

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
Sadly parts of the ground are no go areas for women and young children due to foul and abusive
language directed at both sets of players and match officials .     Apart from deterring women and kids coming to matches it affects the performance of home team players who are on the recieving end of the abuse .     
Directing abuse at match officials is always likely to be unhelpful in winning decisions ,  whereas directing abuse at the opposition is a surefire way to lift their players .

Due to health problems for the start of the season at least I realised I would have to vacate the terraces and buy a main stand season ticket .   For ease of getting to a seat and having access to the toilets I sat in the York St end of the stand .      May I say to anyone who sits in that part of  the stand a big thank you for making what was a pleasant evening despite a very poor Boston performance .

Football is a far experienced when watched in a relaxed and abuse free zone ,  defeat did,nt fell half as bad as it has in the past .        Roll on Saturday and a happy afternoon in the main stand .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
There are few in here as well GHM. Try sitting behind the dug outs!
Glad you enjoyed your "new home" :)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
There's a few choice words come out from behind the dug outs .... I've even heard women and kids effin and blinding. A few hot heads who would be ejected if the stewards were doing their job. This has been the case for a few years now.

As for the football on offer so far, bit of a hangover from last season ? Maybe difficult to get motivated again after coming so close ? Maybe a big nasty tackler in midfield ? A better keeper ? A new left back ? A tall centre forward ? Who knows ? If someone had the answer then we would be top of the league.

TEP

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
I agree about stewards TEP,   but should,nt adults know better than to swear in front of kids ?

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
Yes they should - but there's some real chavvy parents about nowadays and it seems values have slipped in many parts of society. I like to give the opposition a bit of stick but draw the line at swearing. Banter is fine in my book but you shouldn't be foul mouthed. Quite a few 'chimps' out of control I reckon (referencing Dr Steve Peters if you know what I mean).

TEP

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
Sadly parts of the ground are no go areas for women and young children due to foul and abusive
language directed at both sets of players and match officials .     Apart from deterring women and kids coming to matches it affects the performance of home team players who are on the recieving end of the abuse .     
Directing abuse at match officials is always likely to be unhelpful in winning decisions ,  whereas directing abuse at the opposition is a surefire way to lift their players .

Due to health problems for the start of the season at least I realised I would have to vacate the terraces and buy a main stand season ticket .   For ease of getting to a seat and having access to the toilets I sat in the York St end of the stand .      May I say to anyone who sits in that part of  the stand a big thank you for making what was a pleasant evening despite a very poor Boston performance .

Football is a far experienced when watched in a relaxed and abuse free zone ,  defeat did,nt fell half as bad as it has in the past .        Roll on Saturday and a happy afternoon in the main stand .

Interesting, I moved from the Main Stand the best part of 20 yrs ago because I couldn't take the negativity and the fact that you're restricted to sitting near those people week in week out.

We generally have a decent record at home, and that is in large part due to the home support.  When we back our team and they're firing I can't think of many places better for making a struggling side crumble further.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »
I first started following Boston in the mid 90's and really enjoyed going to games week in week out regardless of how poorly we had played the week before or who was in charge. I rejoiced when we got promoted to the football league and felt the crushing blow of us getting relegated on the last day of the 2007 season at Wrexham. Since that time I have started to find it more and more difficult to go to a game and enjoy it.

i won't lie that the football that we played under Tommie Taylor in the early days certainly didn't help the situation but for me the problem is much worse than that. Fans will say its evans & co who give boston a bad name. I'd be inclined to say get over yourselves. Some of the fans are what give boston a bad name.

Don't get me wrong i think it's great that we get good attendancss for our level and our away fans are fantastic, I used to travel all over the country and felt proud to be a "yellow belly"

I was at the Solihull game last night and I have never been so embarrassed to be a boston fan in all my life, there were people stood around me shouting insults about player hairstyles, football boots, where the opposition keeper could kick a ball and so on. Not to mention the stick that the referee got. People wonder why boston never get a decision, maybe if the whole stadium didn't start laying into the ref from the first whistle to the last we may fair better in the future.

If fans concentrated more on the game itself rather than the number 9's headband then I'm sure we wouldn't get half the opposition players we do celebrating jn front of the home fans.

In terms of last nights performance from Boston it was hardly a surprise when you look at last season. While I think we have some tremendous players some of which seem to have attained cult status i can't think of a time in the last 18 months where I have seen a team concentrating for the 90 minutes. It's alright having a high work rate but if our players can't concentrate when we're off the ball then we don't have a hope

good grief!

with respect,you certainly need to get out more Toby.......try standing or sitting in ANY OTHER league or non-league stadium (or even on your local park) and the chances are that you will hear the same "insults" and comments from the those home fans (If you want "an interesting" afternoons entertainment,try watching a footie game from  the comfort of Grimsby Towns Pontoon)....its the culture of football,its how it has evolved over the years and it (perhaps sadly) wont change...if you feel offended by these comments then I would respectfully say "stay away"........As regards the Officials at York Street,quite frankly most of the comments they get from the crowd are self inflicted and in the majority of cases,well deserved by people expressing their opinion at their professional performance.....Throw-ins taken from the wrong places, throw-ins given the wrong way when an Official is very close by, a referee allowing blatent time wasting (as was the case v Solihull) etc etc.....Officials should IMO work harder together ,at all levels of the pyramid, at getting all decisions (even minor ones,like giving a throw in to the correct team) correct and that  way they would earn the respect of the crowd....If somebody does their job professionally and correctly that respect should automatically come...

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
Johnny Pilgrim I think it is you that maybe needs to get out and about a bit more. Proportionally I would say the BUFC is up there on the needless abuse and swearing scale.

There are areas of the ground at BUFC, that are painful to be in, the constant moaning and swearing about nothing.

Just been to Southampton v Everton - and after getting a serious lesson in finishing, losing 3- 0, the Southampton crowd remained positive(ish) and appreciative, no swearing through the game (literally no swearing at all). My son remarked as we left the ground that the club have a lot of families (children and women) supporting the team - maybe that is no coincidence.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »
Johnny Pilgrim I think it is you that maybe needs to get out and about a bit more. Proportionally I would say the BUFC is up there on the needless abuse and swearing scale.

There are areas of the ground at BUFC, that are painful to be in, the constant moaning and swearing about nothing.

Just been to Southampton v Everton - and after getting a serious lesson in finishing, losing 3- 0, the Southampton crowd remained positive(ish) and appreciative, no swearing through the game (literally no swearing at all). My son remarked as we left the ground that the club have a lot of families (children and women) supporting the team - maybe that is no coincidence.

You are probably right about the fact that Southampton have a lot of families supporting them...but they also have about 35,000 more supporters than BUFC....I still stand by my earlier comments...we are all entitled to our opinions...